British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

Vic Harding

Saw on the Hackney facebook site [www.facebook/hackneyspeedway] that it’s 31 years ago since that that faithful night that Vic Harding lost his life at Hackney. We must not forget Steve Weatherley who received awful injuries as well in the same crash. So hard to believe it was over 30 years ago, the memories are still crystal clear. They’re a brave lot the speedway riders who entertain us and some have had to pay the ultimate price. RIP Vic

What a tragic day for speedway, their family's and friends it was.

No rider who loses his life or become paralysed should ever be forgotten by the fans who saw them race.

Vic Harding R.I.P.

What a very talent rider Steve Weatherley was, such a tragedy, and I wish him all the best.

:cry::(:cry::(

Thanks for reminding us Dave. Agree with the comment that no rider who has given his life for the sport should ever be forgotten.

Still remembered at Weymouth as a great rider, best ever captain and a one of the thoroughly "good" guys.

RIP Vic

Although I was not at the Wick that fateful night I do remember Vic riding for Weymouth and Hackney and will not forget him.

R.I.P Vic

I was there too. One of the most awful things I have ever witnessed. Such a trajedy.

RIP Vic

Thanks for reminding us Dave. Agree with the comment that no rider who has given his life for the sport should ever be forgotten.

Still remembered at Weymouth as a great rider, best ever captain and a one of the thoroughly "good" guys.

RIP Vic

Yes - as a Sunderland 'Stars' Supporter - I would like to thank you for reminding us too. Vic was very highly thought of up here in the North East. His name still comes up regularly. He was a great Rider and a truly lovely bloke. He is much missed by the friends and Supporters here in Sunderland.

Vic - R.I.P. +

A night that none of us who were there will ever forget,I vividly remember coming out of the stadium praying it wasn't true,although deep down because of the sheer horror of the crash I feared a brave man had paid the ultimate price. RIP Vic.

I wanted to post the other day, but I didn't know how to put my thoughts into words.

But I'll try, and I hope not to offend.

I wasn't even in my teens when I saw the crash that night, and it's never left me.

Being a kid, I knew little about either of the riders involved. They were both heroes for just being out there, doing it...and I was jealous of them !

I've gone on to learn a lot about the sport from both sides of the fence.

On the outside, as a fan, you'll often remember great riders and races, brilliant comebacks and winning trophies. And moments like those can give you a tingle for years on end.

But seeing a crash like Vic and Steve's or being on the 4th bend of the centre green when Ales Dryml was hit in the head at Oxford...those memories, well to be honest, they bring tears to my eyes every time

R.I.P.

I wanted to post the other day, but I didn't know how to put my thoughts into words.

But I'll try, and I hope not to offend.

I wasn't even in my teens when I saw the crash that night, and it's never left me.

Being a kid, I knew little about either of the riders involved. They were both heroes for just being out there, doing it...and I was jealous of them !

I've gone on to learn a lot about the sport from both sides of the fence.

On the outside, as a fan, you'll often remember great riders and races, brilliant comebacks and winning trophies. And moments like those can give you a tingle for years on end.

But seeing a crash like Vic and Steve's or being on the 4th bend of the centre green when Ales Dryml was hit in the head at Oxford...those memories, well to be honest, they bring tears to my eyes every time

Steve

Your post has encapsulated nigh on all I wanted to say but like you I've had difficulty putting my thoughts into the right words. None of us who were at the Wick that night will ever forget it, Vic or the injuries Steve sustained. Nor will I ever forget having to give evidence at an inquest into the death of another rider, who I won't name here as I've no wish to bring back painful memories to those close to him, for believe me that was traumatic to say the very least.

It's perhaps unsurprising then that I cringe (not sure if that is the right word but it'll do!) when I read here and elsewhere comments from people hiding behind made up names saying so-and-so rider is rubbish, hopeless, pish (think that's the modern word!) and should be got rid of. Don't get me wrong, I fully acknowledge the fact that the paying public have every right to have their say but sometimes wish they'd give matters just a little bit more thought before doing so.

That's just my own personal opinion mind you formed over the many years of myself following this great sport and I fully respect everyone's right to agree / disagree.

To end on a positive note I must say it was wonderful to see Matt Read plus his missus at Rye House yesterday looking so good and well.

Bryn

i was there that night. it was a shocking accident and one i will never forget. :cry:

I will never forget it either.

Perhaps because I was there and saw it happened in front of my eyes.

Very sad.

R.I.P. Vic

We watched Vic Harding at Weymouth,he was my sons favourite rider, he was a great rider, great captain and a lovely man.

As said before, It's hard to believe it's over 30years since Vic lost his life in such a tragic accident,but it's lovely that he is never forgotten.

R.I.P.VIC

Yes - as a Sunderland 'Stars' Supporter - I would like to thank you for reminding us too. Vic was very highly thought of up here in the North East. His name still comes up regularly. He was a great Rider and a truly lovely bloke. He is much missed by the friends and Supporters here in Sunderland.

Vic - R.I.P. +

i remember that awfull nite very well it was my 18 birthday, one of those birthdays you wanna forget, god we all miss our hackney hawks