British Speedway Forum
willp

Heathens Announce New Signing

dave im not disputing that todd and mark are good riders and i dont want a just british league like spin king uniour said we should limit the number of foreigners in pl and nl teams to give our own a chance

I'm afraid I can't tell from Google Earth what type of vans they drive, BHR, but I do know that the majority of Mighty HORNETS supporters are very happy with Todd and Mark in the team, and very happy with the performance of the team as a whole, no matter what Nationality they are.

To my knowledge the National League took over from the amateur Conference League as a third-tier professional league where clubs could own their own assets, be they British or whatever, to prevent the previous situation where PL teams could poach NL-developed riders with impunity.

In my view its sad that some on here would like to see it as purely a Nationality-based set-up; it stifles competition which is the only way that riders can improve; alas the blinkered ones can't or won't see that. Steve Evans' proposal for more local-rider based second-half events should be followed up, rather than crawling into a hole, wrapping oneself in the Union Jack and railing against Foreigners in general and Aussies in particular.

This post show just how out of touch you are. The actual name of the league is the British National Development League. Of course it should be for British riders only. Dudley have scored a massive own goal here in dropping a British rider for an Australian. A move that will damage them as a club. How can a rider improve if he is dropped? Absolute nonsence. Second halfs just do not work. Again if you were more in touch you would know that. The cost and the curfews are a major battle. It is a complete insult to suggest that some are blinkered. All people want is a system that develops British riders. If Aussies want to come over here then try the Premier League. This winter must see a major overhaul of the National League.

What an utter disgrace. I am fed up to the back teeth of Aussies in the National league. What is wrong with British Speedway? Dudley should hang their heads in shame. Sarjeant deserved some support and help. Not to be ditched. Malcolm Vasey forecast that the league would lose its way and this is a classic example of just how bad things have got.

Having built a team well under the points limit at the start of the year that was packed with Brits I'd have thought you'd be happy with the approach the club took? Is it's the Heathens fault that Sarj has been in poor form and that the best option to re-jig the team within the rules happens to be an Aussie? I would love to have seen him turn the corner and start to score well for us but it hasn't happened. He's failed to score in exactly half of his races, has failed to win a heat all season and is averaging under 3 (Dudley website stats). Having started under the points limit and having also seen Morris struggle to find some consistency (his average is just over 3) the club needed to do something if it is to make a push for a play-off place. There are still plenty of Brits in the team.

I genuinely don't understand the reaction by many. Perhaps it's just anti-Aussie nonsense? Jealousy about the fact that at the moment they're producing a lot of young talented riders? It's swings and roundabouts. Most of the established nations have had periods of producing a lot of riders or virtually none. The USA being the most obvious example, and perhaps the Kiwis from a little earlier. Lots of Aussies and Poles around at the moment but not many Brits and Swedes. C'est la vie.

*edit* p.s. Best wishes James. There's no doubt you gave your all. I hope you get fixed up somewhere soon and start scoring more freely. And welcome Micky. I look forward to seeing you in action soon. :)

dave im not disputing that todd and mark are good riders and i dont want a just british league like spin king uniour said we should limit the number of foreigners in pl and nl teams to give our own a chance

There's approximately 80 NL riders at the moment: of these over 90% would be British. How much of a chance do you want?

As far as either the PL or the EL goes I wouldn't have a clue how many riders are Polish, American, German, French, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Russian, Aussie or Kiwi or Outer Mongolian for that matter, but I don't think either league would be able to operate without them, and then where would you be?

Shocking treatment of a Brit in the British Development league,really feel for James as hes a good kid,if this Dyer lad is as good as they say,why aint Brum got him at reserve???

When James left scunny last year after being round for years at the EWR i did wonder if it would end in tears

Having built a team well under the points limit at the start of the year that was packed with Brits I'd have thought you'd be happy with the approach the club took? Is it's the Heathens fault that Sarj has been in poor form and that the best option to re-jig the team within the rules happens to be an Aussie? I would love to have seen him turn the corner and start to score well for us but it hasn't happened. He's failed to score in exactly half of his races, has failed to win a heat all season and is averaging under 3 (Dudley website stats). Having started under the points limit and having also seen Morris struggle to find some consistency (his average is just over 3) the club needed to do something if it is to make a push for a play-off place. There are still plenty of Brits in the team.

I genuinely don't understand the reaction by many. Perhaps it's just anti-Aussie nonsense? Jealousy about the fact that at the moment they're producing a lot of young talented riders? It's swings and roundabouts. Most of the established nations have had periods of producing a lot of riders or virtually none. The USA being the most obvious example, and perhaps the Kiwis from a little earlier. Lots of Aussies and Poles around at the moment but not many Brits and Swedes. C'est la vie.

*edit* p.s. Best wishes James. There's no doubt you gave your all. I hope you get fixed up somewhere soon and start scoring more freely. And welcome Micky. I look forward to seeing you in action soon. :)

After your performance at Newport I wouldnt worry to much about making the play offs! Have you looked at the League table lately.

This post show just how out of touch you are. The actual name of the league is the British National Development League.

Oh no it isn't. Shows just how out of touch you are. As far as I know the National Development League replaced the Conference League then was replaced by the National League.

Shocking treatment of a Brit in the British Development league,really feel for James as hes a good kid,if this Dyer lad is as good as they say,why aint Brum got him at reserve???

Because we've got a very good British kid there!!

My view on this is that the structure is all wrong , and I don't think that we can call the National League the Development League.

The main problem is that different teams have different agenda's, the main problem is that there is a mix of different types of teams, some are stand alone teams like Dudley, Plymouth and Mildenhall, other are basically 2nd teams for high league teams.

With the case of Dudley they are a club that is trying to establish themselves, they are a club that needs success for (1) get fans through the door, (2) gain support to get a track.

I think the big problem we have at the moment with the young Aussie lads is that the ones that are using there British roots as a way and means to gaining a team place.

For me you cannot be British one minute, but an Aussie the next, if you are going to use your British roots then they must commit to this country career wise

I don't think put a ban on Aussies is a good idea, I think we need to include them, still go with one allow in each team, but no rider from Aussie should be allowed in this league from Australia just because his parents, grandparents or great grandparents were born here.

Also if we are going to take it seriously about a Development League we also have to look at the likes of Plymouth who track both Mark Simmonds and Seemond Stephens in the team is that right as well.

After your performance at Newport I wouldnt worry to much about making the play offs! Have you looked at the League table lately.

Was that really the most constructive comment you could think of? :unsure:

For the record - yes I have seen the league. We're 6th, a little way off 4th but will race our 6th away meeting before we race our 4th home meeting. So with home meetings in hand and a re-shaped team that is nearer the points limit we could make a push for a play-off place.

So you witnessed the performance at newport yet still think it wrong the management have moved to strengthen the team! conisdering the team that hammered us at newport had how many aussies in it? As Will said in the opening post until the rules are changed this will keep happening. You pass comment that the heathens scored a massive own goal by dropping Sarj and replacing him with an Aussie - explain how? The heathens are trying to establish themselves again, they need big crowds to try and make the council sit up and take notice and maybe help find a piece of land for a new track, does a team thats not competetive help keep them in the local press and help keep people coming through the turnstiles - i think not. If everyone else in this league was running with a team of young british kids then fair enough but they arent. The management have done what they think is best for the club - Thats there job, its upto the bspa to sort out the finer details!!

No major problem with Aussies in the NL but those that come over should have a starting assesed average of 9.00 points.

Oh no it isn't. Shows just how out of touch you are. As far as I know the National Development League replaced the Conference League then was replaced by the National League.

Do you know anything about anything in this country?

It has been British National Development League from day one and remains as such so get your facts straight for once.

I am very disappointed for James Sarjeant who deserves longer in my view to re-establish at his new Club.

Malcolm Vasey

My view on this is that the structure is all wrong , and I don't think that we can call the National League the Development League.

The main problem is that different teams have different agenda's, the main problem is that there is a mix of different types of teams, some are stand alone teams like Dudley, Plymouth and Mildenhall, other are basically 2nd teams for high league teams.

With the case of Dudley they are a club that is trying to establish themselves, they are a club that needs success for (1) get fans through the door, (2) gain support to get a track.

I think the big problem we have at the moment with the young Aussie lads is that the ones that are using there British roots as a way and means to gaining a team place.

For me you cannot be British one minute, but an Aussie the next, if you are going to use your British roots then they must commit to this country career wise

I don't think put a ban on Aussies is a good idea, I think we need to include them, still go with one allow in each team, but no rider from Aussie should be allowed in this league from Australia just because his parents, grandparents or great grandparents were born here.

Also if we are going to take it seriously about a Development League we also have to look at the likes of Plymouth who track both Mark Simmonds and Seemond Stephens in the team is that right as well.

A great post that makes a lot of sense.

A great post that makes a lot of sense.

Agreed but you can can look at it another way,Both Plymouth and Weymouth have had a tonking by a very in-experienced scunny team in the last few weeks and the likes of Worrall and Birks will have enjoyed and take great experience from riding against Stephens,Simmonds,Brown and Bekker

And the youngsters in these teams will get good info etc from the more experience riders in there teams such as Buzz and Compton