British Speedway Forum
Main Man

Newport Wessex Bus Hornets V Weymouth

Just a reminder for those heading for Cardiff that the Newport WESSEX BUS Hornets take on Weymouth on Friday night with a 7pm start --with a late bar for those wishing to enjoy a pint or two of "Amber Nectar" or whatever.

It's the start of a busy weekend of speedway in South Wales with the GP at Cardiff the next night rounded off by the Welsh Open Championship at Newport at 1pm on Sunday.

FROM OFFICIAL MEDIA RELEASE

HORNETS SEEK CUP GLORY:

It's a busy weekend for speedway fans in South Wales starting with the Newport Hornets facing the Weymouth Wildcats in the second leg of the second round of the National League Knock Out Cup on Friday evening at Queensway Meadows with tapes up at 7pm.

The Hornets are the form team of the division this season and are eight points ahead going into this tie having won by 49 points to 41 at the Wessex Stadium in the first leg.

With the publication of new averages teenager Todd Kurtz moves to number one in the riding order having achieved 9.37 in this his first full season in British Speedway. He forms a strong opening partnership with fellow Aussie Mark Jones who has been given a spot in the 16-man line up for the Welsh Open Championship at Newport Speedway on Sunday afternoon from 1pm.

Weymouth are skippered by Pontypool's Tom Brown who forms a spearhead with the only South African racing in British Speedway - Byron Bekker. Tom is an ex-Newport rider as is reserve Richard Andrews who was in the Hornets squad last season.

NEWPORT 'WESSEX BUS' HORNETS:

1. Todd Kurtz

2. Mark Jones

3. Tim Webster

4. Tony Atkin ©

5. Kyle Newman

6. Tom Young

7. James White-Williams

WEYMOUTH WILDCATS:

1. Byron Bekker

2. Rider replacement for Terry Day

3. Tom Brown ©

4. Gary Cottham

5. James Cockle

6. Richard Andrews

7. Luke Chessell

Speedway continues at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff for the British Grand Prix at 5pm on Saturday and on Sunday gates at Newport Speedway will be open at 11am in readiness for the Welsh Open Championship when 16 riders compete over 20 heats to qualify for a 21st heat Grand Final that has £2,250 worth of prize money.

If I'm being totally honest, I can't see anything other than a big win for the Hornets and progression through to the next round.

Speedway being speedway though, the lads have to convert potential into points scored on the track.

Looking forward to a good meeting and enthusiastic racing form both teams.

Looking forward to a great meeting, a big crowd and late bar with karoke disco (!!) :rolleyes:

Looking forward to a great meeting, a big crowd and late bar with karoke disco (!!) :rolleyes:

You must be getting ready for your annual Yo-Yo act - any roadworks on the M4 this year?

You must be getting ready for your annual Yo-Yo act - any roadworks on the M4 this year?

Dave, there have been road works on the M4 since it was first built, can;t imagine what it must be like to drive along a motorway without roadworks. :D

Just a reminder for those heading for Cardiff that the Newport WESSEX BUS Hornets take on Weymouth on Friday night with a 7pm start --with a late bar for those wishing to enjoy a pint or two of "Amber Nectar" or whatever.

It's the start of a busy weekend of speedway in South Wales with the GP at Cardiff the next night rounded off by the Welsh Open Championship at Newport at 1pm on Sunday.

well done buddie

Looking forward to cheering the Hornets into the next round! :approve: Loving the Weymouth spirit though, still thinking they can go through B) (Not sarcasm btw)

Looking forward to cheering the Hornets into the next round! :approve: Loving the Weymouth spirit though, still thinking they can go through B) (Not sarcasm btw)

Coming over from deepest darkest Dorset for this one. Looking forward to Kyle getting a hatful! To be honest I'll be surprised if the Hornets dont hit 60 tonight. Still you have to admire Mr Bartletts optimism :lol:

Coming over from deepest darkest Dorset for this one. Looking forward to Kyle getting a hatful! To be honest I'll be surprised if the Hornets dont hit 60 tonight. Still you have to admire Mr Bartletts optimism :lol:

haha, i too can see a large win for the Hornets. Dispite both Byron Bekker and Mr. Bartlett's optimism, from what was said in the Echo the other week it seems that they think they are invincible and will go through to the next round with ease, hmmm, somehow i dont think so. Should be a good meeting though.

Edited by Matias

No real threat of rain here in Newport today but unfortunately it's overcast and likely to stay that way which means I hope the man in the box has his finger on the two minute buzzer and we can get 15 heats in instead of struggling to 12 and calling it a day.

Would have been no problem light wise with a clear blue sky but there you go.

Hornets to win by a fair distance I would say.

After 4 heats Hornets 8 Weymouth 15. Webster suspected broken shoulder so long delay. Track is different making alot of the Hornets come off on the second bend. Newman was leading his heat and came off and was excluded and Webster came off the same place

Edited by NWS