British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Bspa Agm 2004 News Here!

Any change in the heat leader total grades, or is it still 13 combined? :blink:

If the Airfence rumour is right then I think it's about time ALL tracks had them whether they be EL,PL,CL all racing is dangerous not just the experienced in the Elite...............what about the "I've got to make an impression" league where they push themselves to the limits

Which league will that be Shazzy? It's actually very easy to say that all tracks should have air fences but two things spring to mind. Where do the tracks get the money from and also some tracks would have to close as putting in an air fence would make those tracks far too narrow.

It would be fantastic to have airfences at every track, but sadly it's just not practical. I do feel that there must be some middle ground to be found though. Obviously some fences are better than others. Monmore, for example, is very forgiving compared to say P'brgh, for example. Doing something to improve rider safety is preferable to doing nothing. Any chance the powers that be will put their heads together, and find the best solution on a track by track basis? (no? didn't think so :unsure::( )

:wink::P

:oops: misunderstood the airfence part derrrrrrrr at me!

I just thought that it would be safety wise good for airfences at all tracks, unfortunately I do realise a lot of places are too small so therefore cannot have them, as for where the money comes from..............either get a BIG company to sponsor it or maybe even ermmmmmm SKY now where does that money go? if it's ploughed back into the track there are a few where sky is not in place and they look better than some of those on SKY. Example: Eastbourne Ladies Toilets yuk! put some money into making that a better place, those toilets haven't changed since the 80's (ok got a title for the next poll "The Ladies toilets at YOUR home track" lol)

Example: Eastbourne Ladies Toilets yuk! put some money into making that a better place, those toilets haven't changed since the 80's

There is a rumour that they are subject of re furbishment this winter ! I will have a sniff next time I go by ! :shock::wink:

Just out of interest SB do you spend a lot of time sniffing in ladies toilets? :blink::shock:

Just out of interest SB do you spend a lot of time sniffing in ladies toilets? :blink::shock:

You obviously have not been to Arlington ! :o You can smell them from the road. :lol:

Much as we all can support the idea of compulsory air fences on the bends, the sport, as already stated, cannot afford them. The majority of clubs would have to close down because nobody can absorb a £20000 bill at one go and I dont suppose fans are prepared to pay extra to cover the cost. Its morally right to protect the riders but not at the cost of the sport. A few years ago Newcastle Speedway featured in the business section of our local morning paper and asked if any business's would be interested to sponsor or advertise on it and there was no replies.

Perhaps some grant could be obtained from the Sports Council or a similar body. Normally these sort of bodies do not assist professional sport undertakings but if you remember after the Bradford Fire Disaster, all clubs with wooden stands were given grants to replace them. The other option is of course of pooling between clubs whereby a Sunday club shares with nearby Tuesday and Thursday clubs to share the costs.

Another alternative is the idea that Geoffrey Spargo, ex Trelawny Promoter, was investigating. Because of the high initial cost and high maintenance cost of air fences, he was investigating the possibility of using a fence containing polystyrene balls which did not need inflation. A bit like a beanbag but probably not so comfortable. The fence would remain intact after the hit but would just need knocking back into shape or replaced. Its worth a thought, as I can see in the near future the sport will be compelled to protect the riders.

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

but if you remember after the Bradford Fire Disaster, all clubs with wooden stands were given grants to replace them.

Not the case Tsunami (and I speak from bitter experience!)

A central (limited value) fund was made available for clubs to apply for a small proportion of the cost of upgrading wooden stands. It may have helped a handful of clubs who were already looking at the possibility of replacing the stands and had planning permission to do so or who were able to get any relevant planning permission quickly but the vast majority were not helped by this. It made good PR though.

The money just is not there for air fences in speedway as its not merely a case of providing fences but in many cases of rebuilding tracks.

AS someone else has already stated, some fences have already shown themselves to be effective-including Newcastles mesh fence in Jespers testamonial as it clearly 'gave' to absorb the impact.

Safety is imperative and we should always be looking at it but I dont think there will ever be one thing eg airfences which is the answer :sad:

Are they going to continue with the play-offs in 2004 and if so, will they be using the same rules that were applied in 2003?

Does a riders grading stay the same throughout the season, or does it change depending on their average?

Will they still be using the Green helmet colour?

Does a riders grading stay the same throughout the season, or does it change depending on their average?

I was wondering that....say a rider is at a club he doesn't really want to be at, but had to join or not have a place. He has some dire meetings and very conveniently drops to the next band below. All of a sudden he becomes very attractive to his old club again who didnt want to get rid of him in the first place and had to make do with a rider at the bottom of that band. What happens then?

Lioness

It certainly was good PR and I though it was all grant aided. Thanks for the info.

I assume you were referring to the Bjarne crash beside the start gate at Jesper's testimonial. It really was horrific and I think everyone feared the worst, just a ripped off nail and small cuts to the hand if I remember right. Did you also see Stu Robson's crash with David Ruud on video on Newcastle's site. If an air fence had been in situ its possible that both bikes and riders would have stayed trackside with worse consequences. I agree, it may not be only one solution to solve the problem.

:blink: Why do I want to call this smilie Kelvin ?