British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Alderton

Speedway World Cup Team Line Ups

Don't see the sense in having Barker in last night then dropping him for Thursday, and I don't see that Stead, King or Allen would do better at Gorzow anyway. Can't see us troubling the other three sides much but will be good experience for the four younger team members. However that experience alone is useless, if we are going to do better next year there has to be some kind of structured approach with some overseas Test Matches, more help and advice for these guys and more investment in the Under 21 scene.

I hear Scott was never going to go to Poland anyhow ...i wonder if the people who gave rico stick will do he same with Scott or will they make excuses for him :wink:

I hear Scott was never going to go to Poland anyhow ...i wonder if the people who gave rico stick will do he same with Scott or will they make excuses for him :wink:

Why can Nicholls go to Poland every Sunday to ride for Start Gniezno without any fuss , but it's a major problem this Thursday .

Richardson has come in for a bad press over his decision to miss this year's event . He obviously has his reasons , and was always one of our best riders in previous years - so it's unfortunate he chose to sit out this year .

Edited by Paulco

With Nicholls crying off, now is the time for both sides to swallow a bit of pride and get Richardson back in the team for Thursday. I notice that all the riders (and the team manager, horrid idea) had their own sponsors on their racesuits, which was the main sticking point for Richardson, and if there's to be any chance of success on Thursday, we need him!

With Nicholls crying off, now is the time for both sides to swallow a bit of pride and get Richardson back in the team for Thursday. I notice that all the riders (and the team manager, horrid idea) had their own sponsors on their racesuits, which was the main sticking point for Richardson, and if there's to be any chance of success on Thursday, we need him!

Agree , to have any chance at all we need Richardson .

Mark Loram

Tony Rickardsson

Greg Hancock

Jason Crump

Ryan Sullivan

Leigh Adams

Lee Richardson

Simon Stead

All riders who have turned down the chance of riding in the SWC (or would have done had they not been injured).

Just how is Sayfutdinov different?

Your examples don't have any relevance as in none of the cases you refer to did it leave their teams going into a meeting a rider short.

I'd have thought with your legendary mathematical brain you could've easily spotted the difference between FIVE and FOUR..!

A huge well done to the Russians last night, qualifying massively against the odds.

Darkin's win in heat two was one of the highlights of the night for me..

Why can Nicholls go to Poland every Sunday to ride for Start Gniezno without any fuss , but it's a major problem this Thursday .

Richardson has come in for a bad press over his decision to miss this year's event . He obviously has his reasons , and was always one of our best riders in previous years - so it's unfortunate he chose to sit out this year .

Nicholls has made it quite clear well before this event that he would more than likely miss Thursday and Saturday due to personal family reasons which we have no right to judge him on.

Richardson is sorely missed and Neil should try to persuade him to race, but I doubt Lee will want to which is a shame.

Interesting views of speedway fans, that you 3 can compare a rider taking a huff over sponsors vs. a rider whose wife had an operation and a few other things!

Surprised orion didn't compare it to Simon Stead's hissy fit over a late offer to go into the British Final.

Many riders opt out of World Cup action, some because the money is poor, some because they never get paid, some because their team won't win and refuses to miss Polish league commitments to do qualifiers (Greg Hancock), some because of sponsors, some because they weren't seeded to a British Final, some because their family have been seriously ill.

I don't blame anyone. I personally give the event a miss because the races are often a match race between 2 riders. The race off will be no different. The final will be worthwhile.

SCOTT has personal reasons for not travelling to Poland this week and I am sure anyone in his situation would have done the same. Those criticising him at a difficult time should bite their tongues.

The FIM word at KL last night was that the Laguta brothers are free to return to the Russian side on Thursday if selected. Their non-appearance at KL was down to visa problems, not helped apparently by very unhelpful UK officials in Moscow, and at no stage did they decline to ride. Emil Sayfutdinov did refuse to ride (in the eyes of many for understandable reasons) but he is effectively suspended for the remainder of the tournament.

There's making a pass, then there's wiping out another rider. He did have a couple of good rides later on. The first exclusion was the referee being a pillock, the second was completely Tai's fault for riding the man, not the track. If that had been Nicki Pedersen, he'd have been pilloried on here. Tai's got fabulous talent, but he's still young and lacking maturity to deal with the bad things that happen. He was pissed off with the first heat so wanted to really stiff the opposition in the second ride and lost a possible heat win because he let his anger blind him. Given another two or three years, he could be really good, but he could also end up being another British no-hoper if he doesn't learn how to ride with intelligence rathat than just passion and skill. He's not a dirty rider by any means, but he can come across as petulant.

So he had 4 good rides, 1 unlucky exclusion, and 1 where he was excluded for trying to pass someone. And you think its reason to have a pop. :rolleyes:

SCOTT has personal reasons for not travelling to Poland this week and I am sure anyone in his situation would have done the same. Those criticising him at a difficult time should bite their tongues.

I apologise , not following EL speedway too closely , i had no idea Sophie Blake had been in hospital . Sorry folks .

Well said Philip and also Authorised. As I said it's not for anyone on here to judge Nicholls in these circumstances.

I don't blame anyone. I personally give the event a miss because the races are often a match race between 2 riders. The race off will be no different. The final will be worthwhile.

Then you have probably missed some of the best speedway in the history of the sport as the race-off, more often than not has produced the best racing.

Then you have probably missed some of the best speedway in the history of the sport as the race-off, more often than not has produced the best racing.

That is very true , but unfortunately this year looks a penalty kick for Sweden and Australia .