British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tompy

Berwick V Leicester 18th August

sure it was mentioned at start of season that berwick were going to upgrade old track shop into a medical room so that meeting would not be delayed if any riders were injured

• Like 1

Agree regarding costs ,but at the end of the day what are the real costs regarding people who dont come back again.

That's also true . There's nothing worse than being stood there ( sometimes for about an hour ) with nowt happening . Ok for the likes of me to spend the time in the bar , but folk with kids with them there cant do that .

One thing that needs to be addressed in speedway these days is the delays regarding injured riders ,I know it is imperitive that that riders get the best possible treatment and attention if injured but the Health and Safety requirments have to be upgraded so that the continuity of the meeting is less effected than it is at most tracks .Delays for paperworks and Doctor avialability really kill the meetings stone dead,it seems unfortunely at Berwick it is a regular occurrance(and other tracks no doubt) Thought I read somewhere that we were trying to get more doctors to attend to try and speed up the meetings should accidents occur.By all means the riders should get the best of attention while injured at trackside but you tend to find that there is a long delay even when they are removed and the County Ambulance arrives . Standing for 21/2 Hours to see 20 minutes of racing is only for the diehards IMO newcomers maybe wont be that impressed. Crowds seem to be dwinding at most venues this season. There does seem to be a lot more injuries all round in the last couple of seasons for whatever reasons.

It seems to be happening more and more,Im sure it was announced before the start of this season they was going to be a medical room that would at least speed up any hand over between our medical team the the ambulance crew from the County Ambulance.As you say delays kill the meeting stone dead,last night there were people heading home as soon as it was announced another ambulance was on its way.

Of course in all of this the comfort and treatment of any injured rider is paramount,I dont think anyone would suggest otherwise,but in the last couple of weeks we have lost two NJL meeting and second halves through this.

Jeez ,all some folk come on here to do is moan!

I thought it was actually a very entertaining meeting, but what do I know?

On the point of newcomers, I've had four here this season, three have been back, and intend to do so again before the end of the season.

The one who isn't back this year lives abroad, but really enjoyed the meeting he came to.

Crowds lowest ever, any figures to back this up?

Didn't look too bad to me for most of the meeting.

I do agree the hold-up with the ambulance knocked things back, and a lot of people headed for the gates, but their loss, they missed a spectacular heat 13.

If folk want to figure out why speedway is struggling, just take a look throughout this forum.

There is something up with the support base, assuming that this is representative of the general speedway fan.

They seem to revel in knocking their promotions, riders, and clubs.

People coming on here and boasting about not coming to meetings, obsessing with crowd sizes, all whilst seeming to be total experts in the running of speedway clubs.

Take a bloody look at yourselves and start supporting your clubs properly, then you might just be a little bit happier...

...but, somehow, I doubt it.

:mad:

• Like 6

On the point of newcomers, I've had four here this season, three have been back, and intend to do so again before the end of the season.

The one who isn't back this year lives abroad, but really enjoyed the meeting he came to.

I do agree the hold-up with the ambulance knocked things back, and a lot of people headed for the gates, but their loss, they missed a spectacular heat 13.

If folk want to figure out why speedway is struggling, just take a look throughout this forum.

There is something up with the support base, assuming that this is representative of the general speedway fan.

People coming on here and boasting about not coming to meetings, obsessing with crowd sizes, all whilst seeming to be total experts in the running of speedway clubs.

Take a bloody look at yourselves and start supporting your clubs properly, then you might just be a little bit happier...

Great post,

Leicester's so called "fans" are elite league when it comes to moaning!

I agree that was a great post. I disagree about Leicester fans though as I reckon Coventry's are the worst for never ending moaning and whingeing all season long, and I say that as a Bees fan. :D

• Like 1

I agree that was a great post. I disagree about Leicester fans though as I reckon Coventry's are the worst for never ending moaning and whingeing all season long, and I say that as a Bees fan. :D

Agree about fans of my club Coventry but can I say Berwick fans are a Man Utd to Man City from last football season, beaten on goal difference only. When you have no more speedway (and it could always happen) then you can moan Edited by Catch Me If You Can

I wasnt there last night, so I know that doesnt entitle me to an opinion, but here goes anyways. I certainly dont think people 'revel' in knocking the promotion, everybody is different and some people see things they dont like or agree with are gonna make what they think very clear, others will just support the club regardless, not saying either is wrong, but each to their own and all that ? I think its fairly obvious the crowds havent been great recently, judging by what John apparently said in the programme last night, and i think they need to ask themselves some hard questions why. For one, do they put on a great product for 14.50? Compared to tracks like scunny, somerset or even worky, in my opinion, no they do not. Another reason, is the team actually any good? Yes i appreciate we've had injuries, but we were just about bottom before we lost Lee or Ricky, so whats the excuse for that? The team wasnt structured correctly from the get go this year, and chances to change it were ignored. Now we are stuck with Jacobsen at reserve, who in all honesty, would struggle to beat Liam Carr (no disrespect to liam) . I think the signing of Barret is a very very good move, had some great scores back in Denmark last season and by all accounts looked very promising last night, i hope they are thinking about making guys like him and Bellego the future of the club, do i think they will? Possibly not, Pepe Franc is likely to be available next year and we all know what a fans favourite he is, even though he misses half the season. My third and final main point is, imo, John has just alienated some fans that are happy to voice there opinions, its as if you can only say good things but nothing bad, life doesnt work like that John im afraid, take the rough with the smooth! If you employ people like Mr Newton who come out telling us we have one lf the biggest budgets in the league, then trail in last place, people with half a few braincells are always going to ask questions. On reflection I think this season is dead and buried, theyve won the fours which is fantastic, really happy with that, but is our league position good enough? No. I hope they are already thinking about next season, for me, Bellego, Ricky and Aspegren should be the first names on the team sheet and go from there! Im sure we will see at least one 5 point untried rider though, we have the past few seasons. Anyways, i look forward to attending on wednesday and seeing how we cope vs Ben Barker, and seeing Barret and hopefully some good racing. Might even be a true fan and get a pie from the tuckshop :)

Only people with some sort of lazer counter would be obsessed with crowd levels.

I wasnt there last night, so I know that doesnt entitle me to an opinion, but here goes anyways. I certainly dont think people 'revel' in knocking the promotion, everybody is different and some people see things they dont like or agree with are gonna make what they think very clear, others will just support the club regardless, not saying either is wrong, but each to their own and all that ? I think its fairly obvious the crowds havent been great recently, judging by what John apparently said in the programme last night, and i think they need to ask themselves some hard questions why. For one, do they put on a great product for 14.50? Compared to tracks like scunny, somerset or even worky, in my opinion, no they do not. Another reason, is the team actually any good? Yes i appreciate we've had injuries, but we were just about bottom before we lost Lee or Ricky, so whats the excuse for that? The team wasnt structured correctly from the get go this year, and chances to change it were ignored. Now we are stuck with Jacobsen at reserve, who in all honesty, would struggle to beat Liam Carr (no disrespect to liam) . I think the signing of Barret is a very very good move, had some great scores back in Denmark last season and by all accounts looked very promising last night, i hope they are thinking about making guys like him and Bellego the future of the club, do i think they will? Possibly not, Pepe Franc is likely to be available next year and we all know what a fans favourite he is, even though he misses half the season. My third and final main point is, imo, John has just alienated some fans that are happy to voice there opinions, its as if you can only say good things but nothing bad, life doesnt work like that John im afraid, take the rough with the smooth! If you employ people like Mr Newton who come out telling us we have one lf the biggest budgets in the league, then trail in last place, people with half a few braincells are always going to ask questions. On reflection I think this season is dead and buried, theyve won the fours which is fantastic, really happy with that, but is our league position good enough? No. I hope they are already thinking about next season, for me, Bellego, Ricky and Aspegren should be the first names on the team sheet and go from there! Im sure we will see at least one 5 point untried rider though, we have the past few seasons. Anyways, i look forward to attending on wednesday and seeing how we cope vs Ben Barker, and seeing Barret and hopefully some good racing. Might even be a true fan and get a pie from the tuckshop :)

Im paraphrasing but this is what John Anderson said in his programme notes last night,the promotion is taking a massive gamble this coming wednesday by trying a new angle.They want to know if more people would attend the speedway if prices were reduced,I hope it works but Ive got my doubts,its a working night,true its during school holidays but still a working night so some fans will be working shifts,the opposition isnt the best and Berwick are on a losing streak at home and no matter what the admission prices are people wont support a losing team,irrespective of injuries.

You`ve got to take your hat off to the promotion for at least trying something,but usually wednesday night fixtures are a finantial disaster.

• Like 1

Only people with some sort of lazer counter would be obsessed with crowd levels.

Im paraphrasing but this is what John Anderson said in his programme notes last night,the promotion is taking a massive gamble this coming wednesday by trying a new angle.They want to know if more people would attend the speedway if prices were reduced,I hope it works but Ive got my doubts,its a working night,true its during school holidays but still a working night so some fans will be working shifts,the opposition isnt the best and Berwick are on a losing streak at home and no matter what the admission prices are people wont support a losing team,irrespective of injuries.

You`ve got to take your hat off to the promotion for at least trying something,but usually wednesday night fixtures are a finantial disaster.

Especially against a side who wont bring any travelling support

Especially against a side who wont bring any travelling support

Plymouth are at Sheffield on thursday,but even then theres hardly likely to be a big travelling support if any atall.Hopefully Fisher will make it come wednesday,so him,Gathercole and Barker should keep things decent.

It's laser; it cannot conceivably be lazer.

It's an acronym of light amplification by stimulation of emitted radiation.

Just thought I'd point that out Screm :)

Now, a few points:

1. If people won't support a losing team, then each team at the bottom of the league would go bust. In fact, every team other than the winner would be in bother. This British obsession with winning and losing - rather than performance - is why we are, generally, crap at sport. Interestingly, it is not a philosophy that the British cycling team follow: look at their performances in the Olympics.

2. Emilali, I'm not sure where you get that John has alienated the fans. To me that comment just stinks of someone who has a personal chip on their shoulder. Quite revealing actually.

3. Thirdly, you are saying that 3 of the current team should be on next years' list. So, you are happy with half of the current team. That's pretty impressive for you. You truly are a havering git.

Screm, I agree midweek meetings are not good. Surely that is all the more reason for everyone that can make it on Wednesday to go along?

Now, just to let everyone see I am not all happy clappy about Berwick; I do think some of the press releases this year have been embarrassing, and I can't deny the league position is disappointing, I'm sure everyone shares that. There is just no point coming on here greeting about things, when there was actually a very entertaining meeting on Saturday.

In my opinion, it is this chip on the shoulder, complain about everything attitude that will sink speedway before anything else does.

It's laser; it cannot conceivably be lazer.

It's an acronym of light amplification by stimulation of emitted radiation.

Just thought I'd point that out Screm :)

Now, a few points:

1. If people won't support a losing team, then each team at the bottom of the league would go bust. In fact, every team other than the winner would be in bother. This British obsession with winning and losing - rather than performance - is why we are, generally, crap at sport. Interestingly, it is not a philosophy that the British cycling team follow: look at their performances in the Olympics.

2. Emilali, I'm not sure where you get that John has alienated the fans. To me that comment just stinks of someone who has a personal chip on their shoulder. Quite revealing actually.

3. Thirdly, you are saying that 3 of the current team should be on next years' list. So, you are happy with half of the current team. That's pretty impressive for you. You truly are a havering git.

Screm, I agree midweek meetings are not good. Surely that is all the more reason for everyone that can make it on Wednesday to go along?

Now, just to let everyone see I am not all happy clappy about Berwick; I do think some of the press releases this year have been embarrassing, and I can't deny the league position is disappointing, I'm sure everyone shares that. There is just no point coming on here greeting about things, when there was actually a very entertaining meeting on Saturday.

In my opinion, it is this chip on the shoulder, complain about everything attitude that will sink speedway before anything else does.

I,for one dont feel alienated as a fan,I will support the Berwick team be they top or bottom,I will be there at every meeting and that includes wednesday.Its fair to say I dont always agree with certain decisions made by this promotion but it will not,and will never stop me going.

Its daft to even hazard a guess at next years team at this stage,we dont know the final averages,or what the points will be next season.

As I posted earlier the promotion deserve a decent crowd come wednesday,they`ve put plenty effort in,and dropped the prices,whether thats enough to tempt people I have my doubts,but you cant deny the promotion are trying,something at least.

Agree with you about the press releases,I hope this is something that can be looked at.

• Like 1

If we were riding high in the league, would the crowds be any higher??? In all likelihood the answer would be yes. However as injuries have decimated our team for weeks, we find ourselves languishing towards the foot of the table, and the harsh reality is the crowds will be down as a result.

So where do we go from here? The promotion are really going for it this Wednesday with the multiple promotions to entice people down on a midweek evening. The key question for me is whether any new fans will be impressed enough with the product as a whole to return at full price? Obviously this is impossible to say at this stage, and hopefully all will go well on the night in terms of great racing with little interruption.