British Speedway Forum
rusky

How Many Heats In A League Meeting ?

As you may well know, in the Tomas Topinka farewell meeting we elected to use the old 13 heat format, with second half culminating in an individual final. Initially we went that route as we couldn't decide whether we wanted a team meeting, or an individual so we decided to go with both...... The interesting thing though, was that a significant number of people at the meeting had never seen this meeting format before, and the overriding opinion was that this was a vast improvement on what they currently see week in, week out (it obviously helps that the scoreline was close, there was very entertaining racing, and both teams were well constructed and evenly matched).

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this ?

• Like 1

I prefer the 13 heat format but would like to see a more structured second half set-up than we used to get, if it ran on the same format at every track, it could contribute to some sort of championship (maybe the British Open) and be used as a lure to increase sponsorship.

• Like 2

I much prefer 15 heats. Especially the nominated heat idea. If a meeting's been decided prior it still gives something to look forward too.

And my memory of second halves was the frequent disrespect shown by riders - uncompetitive riding, testing engines, finishing last in their first heat so they could leave and get to the pub before it closed, or just plain leaving the stadium due to a prior appointment (to get to the pub before it closed). Nowadays it would be leaving to get a flight to Poland.

For £16 I want 15 competitive races, not 13.

Second halves - no thank you.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 5

Personally I thought the second half the other night provided the five worst races of the night. I don't think second halves would work nowadays with riders not interested in hanging around any longer than they need to and the nominated race needs to be kept IMO.

Would be great if speedway was still like 'the good old days' but its not unfortunately.

Have always been - and always will be - a huge supporter of 13 heats. The sport enjoyed its most productive and enjoyable periods during the years it operated this format, I believe 1968-87. It would reduce costs for a start, just need to do something about a few additional heats for after the interval (end of match, that is, and before the second-half feature of junior league or scratch heats).

• Like 2

I much prefer 15 heats. Especially the nominated heat idea. If a meeting's been decided prior it still gives something to look forward too.

Why look forward to something you've just seen 2 races earlier ( in 90+% of meetings)

Under the 13 heat system No 1's only met in heat 1 ( unless T/R or R/R ), therefore only meeting possibly twice a season ( 1 Home 1 Away ).

If my memory serves me correctly Poole visited Wolves 4 times last season meaning I watched Lindgren v Holder 12 times + ( possibly 3 times every other week in the GP's ). I was unable to travel to away meetings last year but if I did I would have seen the above 2 riders against each other 24 times plus a possible 33 times in GP's. This is a possible 57 times in 1 season ( not withstanding numerous times in Poland and Swedenn via the web ).

The old saying familiarity breeds contempt springs to mind, which I feel is a big reason for falling attendances.

Why look forward to something you've just seen 2 races earlier ( in 90+% of meetings)

Because I'm an optimist! And can't get enough of a good thing. I go to speedway to see good racing first and foremost - entertainment!

Have seen many great heat 13s followed by similar 15s. Often riders motivated by gaining revenge!

The old saying familiarity breeds contempt springs to mind, which I feel is a big reason for falling attendances.

The converse of that logic is move to 13 heats and speedway attendances increase.

I'm sure you don't believe that.

The familiarity in the Elite league is the lack of teams. Not the number of heats.

Edited by george.m

Happiness is 40-38

Edited by Telboy68
  • Like 5

The point i'm making is not the heat formulae bringing back the crowds, but the anticipation of seeing the better riders meeting each other less frequently.

you say you look forward to heat 15 because of the better riders, but by the time this race comes along the result of the meeting has already been decided in most cases, and riders are not going to risk injury racing hard when nothing depends on it.

Surely there's more anticipation seeing the top riders meeting heat 1 when something depends on it, and this only a couple of times a season.

Happiness is 40-38

Damn - you beat me to it.

13 Heats every time for me. But then again - I'm an 'old git' and can remember the good times. :t::approve:

• Like 3

13 heats is my preference...but this is just the popular view that has been stated before and nobody takes any notice...15 heats is fine provided I get to watch 20 heats minimum ...as 15 is a rip-off for the money...a junior match is fine but if not why not have a proper 2nd half....I feel like an old record

Yeah less heats for the same money. Surely the saviour of speedway...

• Like 4

13 heats is my preference...but this is just the popular view that has been stated before and nobody takes any notice...15 heats is fine provided I get to watch 20 heats minimum ...as 15 is a rip-off for the money...a junior match is fine but if not why not have a proper 2nd half....I feel like an old record

So do I - click - so do I - click - so do I - click - so do I. :wink:

Edited by The White Knight