British Speedway Forum
speedwayadict

How To Make Speedway More Appealing To Younger Fans?

Given the wealth of speedway experience amongst forum members, we are looking for some opinions. We have been asked by a UK club this season, to find ways to make speedway more exciting for both existing young fans and potential new comers. Obviously we could not do anything that may alienate existing older fans, but there must be things we could do to make kids say "great, speedway tonight" instead of "do we have to go?"

It seems that contact with the riders is a massive draw for fans young and old. Does anyone have any ideas? We are particularly struggling with the 11-16 age group, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Make the prices young fan friendly £3 inc a programme is fair. For me as a kid filling out and keeping the bristol bulldogs programme was magic

It would be interesting to know who 'we' are.

You won't get many 11-16 year old's there without their parent/s or a guardian. You can make it free for 11 year old's but they won't be there if their parent/s don't, or can't afford to, pay £17 (variable by club/league). Get the parent/s or guardian there first and a lot will take their kids along provided the additional cost is not disproportionately high.

• Like 3

Looking around the terraces at Wolves last night and it was alarming as to how old the average speedway fan has become.

We live in an age, where social media is massive, successful companies are all over social media, its free and gives you the chance to interact with your customers.

Take Kiddicare for example, they opened a new store near me recently, we went in there as we have baby number 2 due soon and i was blown away by there customer service, the staff there know the products inside out, they actively encourage the use of twitter, I sent a tweet saying how impressed I was, I received a tweet back in two minutes saying thank you.

Its all about the little things, for instance opposite Kiddicare is Mothercare, Mothercare has been around for years but has failed to move with the times, price match? Not here sorry, at Kiddicare they encourage price matching.

I know who will still be on the high street in years to come and it won't be Mothercare at this rate.

Do you know of any clubs who use social media in a great way, be interested to hear examples, I find it hard to believe that in 2013 the only real way to get live updates of a Speedway Meeting is through a fan run site, I tip my hat off to all those at Speedway Updates.

• Like 1

Poole have a Twitter feed which also gives race by race updates of home and away Poole meetings. They also encourage fans into the pits up to 30 minutes before start time (I know some other clubs also encourage this), but these are both things for existing fans!!!

To attract new fans - no matter what their age - it has to be about entertainment, excitement, controversy(?!) and value for money (ie cheaper than it is at the moment) - but that will mean a major reduction in costs to riders, which in turn would mean lower wages and savings that can be passed on to fans, either by cheaper admission and/or extra attractions !!

The thing with 'other attractions' is that it would need to be a range of different things aimed at the variable age groups - one man's marching band is another man's torture!!

• Like 1

I think Speedway has to become trendy among the general public, that would eventually draw in more youngsters. The difficulty is in getting publicity, particularly in trendy magazines, on trendy TV shows and professionally run radio shows, BikerFM is OK for us seasoned oldies starved of information over the winter, but to anyone not involved it must come across as hopeless, the presenters are basically amateurs, and it shows! I remember Bradford used to visit local schools and dish out free tickets, the kids would arrive to find a virtually empty stadium, no information as to what was supposed to be going on, 90% processional racing and an imbecile of a centre green presenter who tried to get them to join him in embarrassing chants.

Poole have a Twitter feed which also gives race by race updates of home and away Poole meetings. They also encourage fans into the pits up to 30 minutes before start time (I know some other clubs also encourage this), but these are both things for existing fans!!!

To attract new fans - no matter what their age - it has to be about entertainment, excitement, controversy(?!) and value for money (ie cheaper than it is at the moment) - but that will mean a major reduction in costs to riders, which in turn would mean lower wages and savings that can be passed on to fans, either by cheaper admission and/or extra attractions !!

The thing with 'other attractions' is that it would need to be a range of different things aimed at the variable age groups - one man's marching band is another man's torture!!

I don't peronally believe that manufactured controversy or 'other attractions' are the thing - I've seen dozens of them and they're always lame - personal appearances, motorcycle display, etc

The sport has to stand or fall by its own self.

Your comments on costs are spot on - they HAVE to be lowered all round. It has to be made cheaper for riders so it can be cheaper for us.

Its not formula 1 - the average fan doesn't give a toss about the bikes - leading link forks (whatever they are) - its the riders and teams we care about - they could ride anything for all i care

• Like 3

People that think lower cost for riders will result in lower admission costs are living in a dream world. A rider who finds a way to save £2k, for example, isn't going to sit down with a calculator and work out how much per point he can drop his demands by. Likewise, if a Promoter finds a way to save £20k he/she is going to think 'great I can cut my loses a fair bit this season'. And, to be honest I can't blame either party for trying to maximise their earnings/savings. Meanwhile the hardcore fan base continues to be squeezed and slowly dwindles. I really don't know what the solution is but it's going to take something far more drastic than riders not having to cough up for the modern silencer, rear guard etc.

I took some newbies to Wolves yesterday, I asked them what they thought of it, the main response I got was "Its a bit expensive for what it is"

They are not lost to the sport (yet!) as they are going to give some Dudley Meetings a go as they have found out they are cheaper, they are not bothered about the riders names, they just want to see close racing at an affordable cost, and to be honest I can't argue with that.

My Wife also attended last night, she normally attends about five meetings a season with me and our daughter. She offered a different view, she doesn't see the cost (£17) as an issue, she said she enjoys the racing aspect but doesn't enjoy the breaks and waiting around, she has been to GP's and loves the efficiency of how the meetings are run.

• Like 1

Youngsters, unless it's football it seems, don't bother about supporting local teams. Football will always have the upperhand because anyone and everyone can play it. Speedway doesn't have that luxury. I think therefore that the promotions have to somehow get the riders out into the community amongst the youngsters so they get to know them, get to know why they are racing speedway for a living, the team ethos, the comraderie, what they get out of it, the life they lead, basically persuade them to get along to speedway and support them and/or have a go at it too.

Unfortunately with the life speedway riders have to lead, racing here, there and everywhere, having time to commit to the area in which they race and "maybe" live is small.

It's the old chicken and egg again, IF enough people supported speedway, promoters would have the money to pay the riders to give to the community, to promote their club and riders would have more time to spare as they wouldn't need 4 or 5 different clubs!

You will not attract young people to speedway long term by any means you try. Its to late for speedway now unfortunatly.

• Like 1

I said a while ago that (with regard to the Heathens) it's the youngsters in the sport that should be out there in schools, colleges and clubs with the aid of the Promoters/Team Managers as they are able to relate to people around their own age in a way that even the younger Promoters/Team Managers can't. Particularly the like of Max Clegg, Nathan Greaves, Ashley Morris and Dan Greenwood (from our team) would be accepted into the group, so-to-speak, and would get the speedway is cool message across a lot better than Patch, CVS and Nigel. Give out vouchers with a significant discount to admission for kids and adults and you may just get some to turn up. Even at a significant discount it will be more income than if you don't bother. Do that two or three times a season and who knows how many more regulars and riders of tomorrow you may unearth!?

• Like 1

People that think lower cost for riders will result in lower admission costs are living in a dream world. A rider who finds a way to save £2k, for example, isn't going to sit down with a calculator and work out how much per point he can drop his demands by. Likewise, if a Promoter finds a way to save £20k he/she is going to think 'great I can cut my loses a fair bit this season'. And, to be honest I can't blame either party for trying to maximise their earnings/savings. Meanwhile the hardcore fan base continues to be squeezed and slowly dwindles. I really don't know what the solution is but it's going to take something far more drastic than riders not having to cough up for the modern silencer, rear guard etc.

well what else then - just wait til it all dies?

The PDC have just signed a new contract for the Darts on Sky and maybe "we" could take a leaf out of their book? Is Darts that popular as a sport or is it just what happens at a PDC event (look at the BDO in comparison) The Premier League darts seems to offer the whole package including the sport aspect, but how many go for the darts and how many go for the cheap beer? Why not try £10 entry into speedway and £1.50 a pint! :drink: