British Speedway Forum
Brooksy

Somerset Vs Sheffield Pl Fri 17th May

So yet again, you keep saying it's easier said than done, yet can't give me any reasons as to why not.

And what difference does the air fence make? The existing fence still remains, and the sheeting would just fix to the top of that - so it makes no difference what so ever. So what's your next reason?

Mate, end of the day it is not posible, one it would be a big expensive job, 2, you would have to get proper fittings for the fence, and rollers, and your fence on the bends would not be strong enough as its an extended fence, that would also need replacing. yes if you had prior warning of heavy rain before the meeting then perhaps, you could save the meeting, but as you saw tonight, rain comes down faster than a dozen humans could move. And you have to cover the whole track, even if you covered the bends like we did last week, that helps, but not if you get a sudden rain storm during the meeting. i do see your point, but cost would win the day..

Edited by Starman2006

Mate, end of the day it is not posible, one it would be a big expensive job, 2, you would have to get proper fittings for the fence, and rollers, and your fence on the bends would not be strong enough as its an extended fence, that would also need replacing. yes if you had prior warning of heavy rain before the meeting then perhaps, you could save the meeting, but as you saw tonight, rain comes down faster than a dozen humans could move. And you have to cover the whole track, even if you covered the bends like we did last week, that helps, but not if you get a sudden rain storm during the meeting. i do see your point, but cost would win the day..

Granted it wouldn't be a 2 minute job but I can't be convinced without covers tonight that the meeting wouldn't of been saved. I understand from various sources that rain offs such as tonight costs thousands to clubs so surely you are better off spending that extra few thousands now, and only incur that cost once.

A quick google search, and even if you search for tarpaulins in ebay shows just how cost effective this idea actually in especially in the grand scheme of things if it means in the long run it saves the club thousands of pounds in the years to come.

For example, this is the first thing that came up on my google search:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-TARPAULIN-TARP-LIGHTWEIGHT-WATERPROOF-GROUND-COVER-SHEET-CAMPING-TENT-/370795671554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item565524f002

Working on a rough guide that the track is 300metres round (984 feet) which is around the white line I believe, obviously further around the outside - but gives us a good guide to start from.

984 feet track / 20 feet panels = 50 panels required

50 panels * price @ £17 = £850

A very rough price, which would increase for the extra panels required to cover the whole distance - which would also be offset as Im sure that the price could be bettered at the £17 as this is literally the first one that I have come across. After allowing for fixings to the fence and to the inside of the track we are looking at around £1000 for a rough figure.

So I ask the question again, if rain offs costs the clubs thousands... WHY OH WHY in Speedway are track covers not used?!?

• Like 1

Where does all the water go on top of the covers? drainage would it cope also time curfew.Be great if it did work and was viable.

Where does all the water go on top of the covers? drainage would it cope also time curfew.Be great if it did work and was viable.

If the covers are attached to the top of the fence, and then pegged on the centre green (ie. angled downwards) it would mean the water would run somewhere onto the centre green. Can't see what the time curfew has to do with anything really, the rain came about 8 oclock in which time I went and stood inside, before going back outside once the rain stopped at 8:15.. I was still stood in the same place until just before 9 when the meeting was called off. There is no way it would take 45 minutes to remove some tarpaulin.

Granted it wouldn't be a 2 minute job but I can't be convinced without covers tonight that the meeting wouldn't of been saved. I understand from various sources that rain offs such as tonight costs thousands to clubs so surely you are better off spending that extra few thousands now, and only incur that cost once.

A quick google search, and even if you search for tarpaulins in ebay shows just how cost effective this idea actually in especially in the grand scheme of things if it means in the long run it saves the club thousands of pounds in the years to come.

For example, this is the first thing that came up on my google search:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item565524f002

Working on a rough guide that the track is 300metres round (984 feet) which is around the white line I believe, obviously further around the outside - but gives us a good guide to start from.

984 feet track / 20 feet panels = 50 panels required

50 panels * price @ £17 = £850

A very rough price, which would increase for the extra panels required to cover the whole distance - which would also be offset as Im sure that the price could be bettered at the £17 as this is literally the first one that I have come across. After allowing for fixings to the fence and to the inside of the track we are looking at around £1000 for a rough figure.

So I ask the question again, if rain offs costs the clubs thousands... WHY OH WHY in Speedway are track covers not used?!?

Yeh but mate, you not taking into consideration a downpour like you had last night. You would have no chance. Im not saying covers can't save a meeting, they could and can, and yes, i agree what you saying, but you would need alterations to your corner fences, soakaways/drainage you would need strong covers, posibly rollers and my guess is the allround cost would be prohibited. And then you need the manpower, then say a rider goes through the fence a demolishes that and the rollers covers, you need spares you need 2 of everything, spare blowers 3-4 spare airfences, and eventually if the club do purchase airfences/ foamfences, they will not be cheap, depending what quality you go for. I don't know much about these foamfences, but imo the best airfence's on the market are the Swindon Airfences, and they cost. I know Bill owns the track and land, and in todays day and age that is a massive plus, no rent.... you also have machinery to be maintained, and that can also be very expensive. Yes you have a fair number of sponsors now, but i doubt Bill has a bottomless pit of money..

Edited by Starman2006

I can t remember exactly but cvs talked about covers at wolves fans forum in jan/feb he said there were several problems like you can t just cover you got to have air flow under cover, and at some point they would have to come off to prep track and start meeting and he found a system cost about 40 thousand to cover monmore green

I can t remember exactly but cvs talked about covers at wolves fans forum in jan/feb he said there were several problems like you can t just cover you got to have air flow under cover, and at some point they would have to come off to prep track and start meeting and he found a system cost about 40 thousand to cover monmore green

All true, and monmore is smaller than the OTA.

You are all missing the point. Tiny you said the track can't be worked on for the 15 minutes that the track is covered, but the usual event is that whilst the rain is coming down it isn't worked on anyway. The work started last night when the rAin had stopped and understandably so - so that's another 'problem' that isn't a problem. The track staff would then be involved in untying a few wraps around the fence and unrolling the covers and being pegged inside the centre green. The water drains to the inside of the centre green. Who cares if that gets wet, were racing speedway and not grass track. No new drainage system is required whatsoever, so that's another problem you can tick off the list.

Starman, why does the covers need to be stronger for? It's got to withstand water, not a downpour of rocks. This is exactly what tarpaulin is designed to do, we don't need to develop something that is already developed. So you need a few spares of the sheets, what did I find a price that they were.. 17 quid was it? You're starting to clutch at straws and I still haven't heard a good reason why it can't work.

With regards to air flow, I can't see how this is an issue either. The covers Are angled from the top of the fence, ie not sitting on the track - so there is still adaqute air flow although slightly reduced that if there wasn't covers.

You are also missing the point in that this could work leading upto a meeting, days before a meeting or anything. Say for example a downpour is predicted at 6 o'clock - prepare the track, cover it for the downpour, remove it and go racing when the rain has cleared. Last night was just an example and maybe a little extreme, but there is no reason I've been made aware of so far why this isn't possible - not just at Somerset, but anywhere in the country.

This is one thing that makes me laugh, the bspa And it's promotors, more often than not CVS especially get slated for being corrupt and talking constant rubbish - yet they make a point which falls in line with your arguement so they must be right :D the irony and shows another complete flaw.

Edited by Najjer

You are all missing the point. Tiny you said the track can't be worked on for the 15 minutes that the track is covered, but the usual event is that whilst the rain is coming down it isn't worked on anyway. The work started last night when the rAin had stopped and understandably so - so that's another 'problem' that isn't a problem. The track staff would then be involved in untying a few wraps around the fence and unrolling the covers and being pegged inside the centre green. The water drains to the inside of the centre green. Who cares if that gets wet, were racing speedway and not grass track. No new drainage system is required whatsoever, so that's another problem you can tick off the list.

Starman, why does the covers need to be stronger for? It's got to withstand water, not a downpour of rocks. This is exactly what tarpaulin is designed to do, we don't need to develop something that is already developed. So you need a few spares of the sheets, what did I find a price that they were.. 17 quid was it? You're starting to clutch at straws and I still haven't heard a good reason why it can't work.

With regards to air flow, I can't see how this is an issue either. The covers Are angled from the top of the fence, ie not sitting on the track - so there is still adaqute air flow although slightly reduced that if there wasn't covers.

You are also missing the point in that this could work leading upto a meeting, days before a meeting or anything. Say for example a downpour is predicted at 6 o'clock - prepare the track, cover it for the downpour, remove it and go racing when the rain has cleared. Last night was just an example and maybe a little extreme, but there is no reason I've been made aware of so far why this isn't possible - not just at Somerset, but anywhere in the country.

Mate, unfortunately you WILL need new Dranage and soakaways. Tarpaulin, there's Tarpaulin and Tarpaulin, we have heavy duty green stuff, but even that is not ideal. We lay ours on the entrance to bend one and bend three, but ideally, yes angled so all the water drains on to the infield, hence soakaways and drainage.. As for your last point, thats obvious, but you ever tried to predict this crappy british weather??

Edited by Starman2006

That air flow under the covers is a load of beau locks,I have heard this before and the reason given was if it didn't it would sweat...so bloody what!!! Let it sweat...you need a bit of moisture on a track anyway!

Some look for solutions, some just see problems!

None of these so-called problems are insurmountable - just needs the will and some forward thinking?? Give them time, as this dodgy British weather is a new thing. :blink:

Mate, unfortunately you WILL need new Dranage and soakaways. Tarpaulin, there's Tarpaulin and Tarpaulin, we have heavy duty green stuff, but even that is not ideal. We lay ours on the entrance to bend one and bend three, but ideally, yes angled so all the water drains on to the infield, hence soakaways and drainage.. As for your last point, thats obvious, but you ever tried to predict this crappy british weather??

It's not ideal, you Are right - the only thing that would be ideal would be for the sun to remain out all year round but that isn't ever going to happen so we need to make the best of a bad job so to speak... And in my opinion, we aren't doing that at the moment.

From my research too, I'm led to believe track staff are at the track for the majority of the racenight, so Friday in our case as well as numerous other times throughout the week. Common sense would be if the heavens open on Friday daytime the track is covered until such a time when they can removed. Lets be honest, it can only help towards matters and could be the difference between keeping a meeting on - especially since I've proven that CVS quote of 40,000 and previously a quote of over 100,000 in previous discussion are completely way off the mark.

Some look for solutions, some just see problems!

None of these so-called problems are insurmountable - just needs the will and some forward thinking?? Give them time, as this dodgy British weather is a new thing. :blink:

The most frustrating thing for us fans is that no one has even bothered to give it a go and trial it. Last night is the most frustrating thing about Speedway and is something that no one has attempted to address.

Trying something new will bring up problems, but as you say a solution is well within reach.