British Speedway Forum

It is such a shame if Sky has taken out a new contract that they where soon going to unveil. If I was in their shoe's I would be well and truly peeved by now. That some naughty spoiled little boy, has blathered off to the press before anything has been announced.

Either by Sky tv or the BSPA.

You would think by now that people would learn to keep their gobs shut until after the event.

Sky must be spitting feathers, they could even withdraw the offer and say now get someone else to do it for you.

It is people like this who are out only to line their own pockets with no thought what so ever of the damage they are doing to the sport. Other than making complete fools of themselves.

Even if you say black is black to a journalist, he will still say that it was white. Better to keep quite and let things run the proper course.

Excellent post.. Does anyone know of SKY denying or admitting to this deal?

Even assuming the new deal was announced too early,- where/from whom did the info originate??

Neither.

Both ? !!!

Even assuming the new deal was announced too early,- where/from whom did the info originate??

I'd assume it was given to all the promoters at Tuesday's meeting.

It is such a shame if Sky has taken out a new contract that they where soon going to unveil. If I was in their shoe's I would be well and truly peeved by now. That some naughty spoiled little boy, has blathered off to the press before anything has been announced.

Either by Sky tv or the BSPA.

You would think by now that people would learn to keep their gobs shut until after the event.

Sky must be spitting feathers, they could even withdraw the offer and say now get someone else to do it for you.

It is people like this who are out only to line their own pockets with no thought what so ever of the damage they are doing to the sport. Other than making complete fools of themselves.

Even if you say black is black to a journalist, he will still say that it was white. Better to keep quite and let things run the proper course.

You do have to be careful with Sky. They don't suffer fools gladly.

I remember about 10 years ago when British Basketball had a great set-up with Sky. Live Saturday evening matches, fully paid by Sky, strong viewing figures. Then the BBL in their wisdom thought the sport was bigger than it was and basically gave Sky notice to go to ITV Digital and a pot of gold. We know what happened to ITV Digital, and for years they tried to get back the TV profile without success. One year a high profile final was featured on Milton Keynes TV (!!!) - it was accessible on a Sky dish.

There was a lady at Sky (I forget her name at the moment) who worked tirelessly to get the BBL some incredible coverage. They were not happy and basically from then on the BBL had to fund their own production costs with TV companies. They did go back to Sky for a couple of years, but delayed coverage (by days) for the majority of matches and I believe (but I'm not certain) the BBL teams were contributing to this cost.

They are now the latest of Eurosports new additions (Speedway, NFL etc). But just a one hour weekly programme featuring a match from the previous week.

In the end Sky are a business first and don't make emotive decisions. But at the same time they will negotiate hard and won't take kindly to anything negative. That is why the BSPA fired off their apology e-mail so quickly; it put them in a really awkward position. I'm sure Sky will have left the BSPA negotiators with a few sweaty palms, although I doubt it will make any difference to the outcome.

Probably will change things at the BSPA though. I suspect confidential information will now be shared on a need to know basis, rather than with the 20 odd promotions it does currently. The downside of that is may return to the closed shop of previous years when some promotions had an advantage over others virtue to being privvy to information.

• Like 1

I wonder, as SKY seem to be back, whether we will see more Premier League Speedway on our screens. I certainly hope so. :t::approve: :approve:

I wonder, as SKY seem to be back, whether we will see more Premier League Speedway on our screens. I certainly hope so. :t::approve: :approve:

Cannot be bothered to look back through the various threads, but I thought I read somewhere the coverage was Elite League only.

Could easily be wrong though.

There's another "Sky" thread on the Elite League section of the forum, and I've just posted a ramble on there - I don't think it's right to post the same thing into two threads, so rather than duplicate it, I thought I'd mention it if anyone cares to read it - thank you ;)

Oh dear British Speedway promotors drop themselves in it again and annoy their broadcast partner just days after agreeing a new deal. I can tell you this slip up has not gone down well at Sky sports as they were not ready to announce the deal today as wanted to produce proper press releases and create some spin. The plan was to feature the deal on Sky sports news and a couple of rider interviews likely to have been Woofy and Nicholls. Nevermind it's done now

The blame is firmly at the shoes of the BSPA as per normal. Bad organisation as per normal. Nice to see the tan man walk off with a big wad again :D

The blame is firmly at the shoes of the BSPA as per normal. Bad organisation as per normal. Nice to see the tan man walk off with a big wad again :D

Really. :shock: :shock: :P