British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Percy "hellcat" Brine remembered

Percy Brine is very much a forgotten man of speedway racing despite riding for clubs like Wigan, Birmingham, Fleetwood, Sheffield, Rayleigh and Long Eaton in the immediate post-war seasons. He was the older brother of the Wimbledon and England rider Cyril Brine. Percy was also around the fringes of speedway in the years leading up to the start of WW2 in September 1939.

Percy's speedway career ended when he lost an eye, but from 1954 onwards he was involved for some subsequent seasons in both stock car racing (I think a pioneer driver at the first ever UK stock car meeting at New Cross in 1954) and also drove midget cars.

Percy was honoured for his stock car exploits at Coventry on the weekend of Saturday/Sunday October 5/6 with the staging of the first ever Percy 'Hellcat' Brine weekend. I wonder if we will ever see a tribute meeting for his speedway exploits as well?

Edited by Guest

Probably not. If the Peter Craven Memorial is run as a second half event and we don't seem to have the capacity in the sport to remember other great stars then I can't see a meeting being held for Percy. Nice post though, Gustix.

• Like 1

It appears that Percy Brine was honoured by Coventry because he was the first ever stock car race winner there in May 1954.

Can any member please detail how long after his enforced retirement from speedway that Percy Brine was active in stock car and midget car racing?

I seem to remember seeing a team photo of the 1960's Wimbledon team with Percy Brine as team manager.

26 minutes ago, Split said:

I seem to remember seeing a team photo of the 1960's Wimbledon team with Percy Brine as team manager.

Can't say recall seeing that, and I have probably seen most Dons' team pics! After Ted Brine came Vic Goodden, I think...

Steve