British Speedway Forum
Gavan

More Corners Needed?

Yeah great idea .......... how about a installing a ramp half way down the back straight and turning the starting gate into a wall of fire on the last lap for the winner to ride through ????? :wink:

Yeah great idea .......... how about a installing a ramp half way down the back straight and turning the starting gate into a wall of fire on the last lap for the winner to ride through ????? :wink:

That would be a real extra treat. Great idea,

That would be a real extra treat. Great idea,

They are quite close to the fiery ring finish already in the GP's with the exploding and lit gas cannons at the finish of races already, when I first saw that close up at Cardiff, you could actually feel the heat when they exploded!! And that was approximately 20 metres away, god knows how it felt/sounded when triggered by the riders!! Momentarily blinding/deafening/hot few seconds!!!!!!!

I almost fell of my chair when i read this thread.. :rofl:

• Like 1

Imagine the Leicester thread if their track had even more corners and 'jumps' for them to moan about??? :shock::D

• Like 1

I almost fell of my chair when i read this thread.. :rofl:

Yes... Unbelievable.....no mention of Poole, Matt Ford, Middlo, heat 10 call offs, moisture in the track, Gordon The tramp or Tatnum Chippy!!!

Gavan's blown it.

Has Gavan ever been to a speeway meeting or even know what speedway is. Not sure from the statement made. Think it is good enough as it is without all of the wizz and bangs. It has been going on from before I was was born and it is still going on now in the same form and I hope that it goes on for a lot longer as my grandson will be very disapointed if he misses his speedway.

i've always called them 'bends'..but then I always refer to 'excluded' and 'first bend bunching'...clearly too set in my ways.

No I wouldn't call them bends or corners, they are the sort of things you have at the Isle of Mann TT races a speeway track is just two inter connected straights a bit like your first model railway layout.

Lets keep our speedway as it was always ment to be and always will be. Great fun for those watching and a great skill for those who ride on our tracks.

The basic speedway product is fine. We all like lots of exciting racing, over-taking, close scores....etc

Even watching old footage from years gone by when the product was supposedly far superior,there were boring races / meetings then. Time does funny things to the memory...

There are only two basic things wrong with speedway

1) bikes are less controllable so get it wrong and the riders have no chance of correcting

2) tooooooooooooo may complex rules governing a simple sport

yes and no...on grip i agree, but bikes are too controllable on modern tracks that have to be so slick for the lay-downs, resulting in less mistakes out in front and less excitement generally.. Worst development ever changing from uprights IMV..

yes and no...on grip i agree, but bikes are too controllable on modern tracks that have to be so slick for the lay-downs, resulting in less mistakes out in front and less excitement generally.. Worst development ever changing from uprights IMV.

Personally, I think the worst development was going from 2 valve to 4 valve, resulting in ballooning of repair and tuning costs.. A black day, which added nothing to the spectacle, but plenty of Shekels to the tuners. :sad:

I am sure that in thw 1980's I saw photos of speedway being ridden on a figure of 8 track.... the footrests on both sides collapsed/folded out of the way and the exhaust silencer was mounted slightly higher to avoid grounding on right hand corners!!

Anyone else recall this type of speedway racing event....????

I am sure that in thw 1980's I saw photos of speedway being ridden on a figure of 8 track.... the footrests on both sides collapsed/folded out of the way and the exhaust silencer was mounted slightly higher to avoid grounding on right hand corners!!

I have a vague recollection of this but tend to think it may have been flat-track riders and not speedway riders involved. But I do stand to be corrected...!

I have a feeling this is a type of Grass Track in Australia. There was a rider who came over from Aus, circa 1983, I think his name was something Gray (possibly Chris?) and he excelled at this particular discipline. I believe he may have had some outings with Rye House?