British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

Coventry V Birmingham, 28 Mar 14

.....woz01...... Just read on there website last season their crowds varied from 600-1100, Bees probably a bit higher than that but hard to know for sure.

I'd say the Bees average gate is between 1,200 and 1,500 except when Poole are visiting then it's about half a dozen more as Steve Shovlar and Co. join the Coventry fans on the first bend.

Edited to put the quote in as the page has 'turned over'. :)

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2

I'd say the Bees average gate is between 1,200 and 1,500 except when Poole are visiting then it's about half a dozen more as Steve Shovlar and Co. join the Coventry fans on the first bend.

Edited to put the quote in as the page has 'turned over'. :)

You forgot to mention the dogs? How many will be coming this season?

:)

• Like 1

Top crowd 1601 this season. Averaging about 1300 I think. And don't forget that's at level 3 of English Rugby. It will probably rise somewhat next season.

Top crowd 1601 this season. Averaging about 1300 I think. And don't forget that's at level 3 of English Rugby. It will probably rise somewhat next season.

I could only find figures from last season. Crowds up then and probably similar to the Bees.

To have such a public spat does no one any good whatsoever and makes the club look terrible.

What the hell is it with sport in Coventry? Not the place to live for sports fans it seems. problems with both major sports.

Nothing wrong with their Cycle Speedway team tho. :t:

Edited by stevebrum

Yes, up so far on the back of better performances. They still have champions elect Doncaster to come, and the crowd is expected to be at least 1800, so their average will likely go up.

If/when they get back to the Championship (next league up) I would expect crowds to return to a minimum of 2,300, where they were prior to relegation four years ago.

Anyway, my point was that Cov Rugby are another sports team in Cov. I realise the six-fingers in Dorset don't know what rugby is, so SS's assertion is perhaps exusable...

Yes, up so far on the back of better performances. They still have champions elect Doncaster to come, and the crowd is expected to be at least 1800, so their average will likely go up.

If/when they get back to the Championship (next league up) I would expect crowds to return to a minimum of 2,300, where they were prior to relegation four years ago.

Anyway, my point was that Cov Rugby are another sports team in Cov. I realise the six-fingers in Dorset don't know what rugby is, so SS's assertion is perhaps exusable...

Plus the Ice Hockey which I think was a sell out on Sunday night, think that holds 3,000 or so.

shale being delivered tomorrow morning. fingers crossed the weather holds up for the track to be redone

• Like 2

Back on subject, dont think we have any chance at Brandon, we look too weak in all departments, could change my mind if we do any good tomorrow night, hoping to get to Brandon and the rain stays away.

shale being delivered tomorrow morning. fingers crossed the weather holds up for the track to be redone

Who's ordered/paying for that - the stadium owners or the speedway promotion??

Lets all hope the events of Sunday don`t have an adverse effect on the team. Think everybody was high with anticipation for the new season and the new look team. Hopefully we`ll get off to a good start and the events of the weekend are soon forgotten..If the weather lets the meeting go ahead this should be an easy win with a good chance for the team to do some bonding.. Fingers crossed for some good sunny weather..

• Like 1

Forecast suggests rain on Friday, hopefully thats incorrect.

Has been heavy showers and sleet most of the day today. Really hoping the weather forecast changes :(

Visited Stadium yesterday spoke with a member of staff who freely spoke with me he explained the problems of maintaining a good Speedway track. Apparently until this season most tracks sourced their shale from the Leeds area which for some reason is not available this year. The explanation is that the shale used in speedway is made up of stone chippings and clay. When I visited they had relayed the inside of the first bend and were in the process of adding more of the fine stone to the track which is hoped will sort the whole problem out. The staff member also explained that the new Curator is Polish but comes with a full speedway background and much experience in preparing the Polish Grand Prix circuits and the problems are not his fault and should be left to do his job. It was also explained that it is hoped if the weather is OK Friday's meeting should go ahead. Personally I think that Mick Horton and team have had a very difficult start to the season with three matches called off through no fault of his own, we should draw a line and hopefully get the season going with a win over the Brummies and set the season hoping?as stated elsewhere a new load of dressing has been delivered.