British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
clambo71

Club Assets

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

I suppose the only thing that has changed is that the "big" transfer seems to be a thing of the past with the Lee Richardson one being the last one I can find.

I wonder if there is anything to stop a promoter going on a road trip of Europe and mopping up any unsigned rider on the off chance they may ride in Britain and can then charge loan fees... I presume Birmingham have the World Champion on their "retained list"

The rules were (are?) that overseas riders had to ride a minimum number of times before they can be added to a retained list. Vaculik and Zmarzlik, and I think, Przedelski, didn’t do enough meetings. Interestingly, when Birmingham brought Zmarzlik in, then promoter, Alan Phillips thought he was just another foreign rider, and had no idea of what he’d got. Bartosz only rode one meeting for Birmingham before they sacked him for declaring himself ill and unable to travel. He was accused of pulling a sickie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

The rules were (are?) that overseas riders had to ride a minimum number of times before they can be added to a retained list. Vaculik and Zmarzlik, and I think, Przedelski, didn’t do enough meetings. Interestingly, when Birmingham brought Zmarzlik in, then promoter, Alan Phillips thought he was just another foreign rider, and had no idea of what he’d got. Bartosz only rode one meeting for Birmingham before they sacked him for declaring himself ill and unable to travel. He was accused of pulling a sickie. 

I think the truth was that Phillips and Zmarzlik  had not got official PZM start permission and paperwork- and quite a row it was.

8 hours ago, 1 valve said:

The player receives all of the money which they pay tax on. So Stokes would have netted circa £800k. 

interesting model.  presumably the auction is a pantomime with all deals having been sealed beforehand? still an interesting way to launch a season.