British Speedway Forum

Depends what sort of changes the Edinburgh Promotion, realistically to Wolbert in they have to drop Cook and one other rider, my guess is that Wolbert will not be at Edinburgh.

But I suppose you never know.

I would imagine that Cook will be doing his very best to ride in Poland next season so won't be at Edinburgh anyway. But regardless, Wolbert has a lower average than all of Edinburghs top 5 so would see them save whoever they replace with Kev.

Surely Richard Hall on 4.28 has to be a certainty?

Edited by SCB

Josh Grajczonek anyone?;-)

Very much doubt it, keeping Stead at No1 another almost 9 average rider would decimate your remaining team especially if the BSPA harbour any plans to tinker with the points limit? ;)

Personally really looking forward to 2015 as the new promotion will start on a level playing field regarding team building.

I think they will and I hope they will go for a team that will make home meeting Fortress Owlerton, if you can go all season without dropping any home points then more or less there into the play offs.

Looking at this seasons riders for Sheffield.

Simon Stead; Has been immense for the club, and there is not rider in the league that I would swap Steady for so its a no brainer to bring back the 2014 PLRC champ. retain

Leigh Lanham; Not really worked out for Big Leigh, with the biggest disappointment from him was his away performances. release

Ty Proctor; Never really got going, but start to just show us what he can do when he got injured. On his finishing average I think he will form some excellent back up for Steady; bring back.

Adam Roynon; I am a massive Roynon fan, and would normally pick him to ride for Sheffield, but there is always a nagging doubt that Adam will pick up injuries don't bring back (But with a heavy heart)

Nico Covatti; Not done enough for me, had a couple of decent meetings but not enough especially at Sheffield, I would also be very worried about his continental commitments. release.

Taylor Poole; If he is fit then get him back. Once he found his feet and got going I thought he was superb. But for me on the average he would be coming back on would certainly love to see him back. retain

Andre Compton; Had the big crash and still not been able to see how badly that has effected him, made it clear he wants to be back next, but I do worry about that crash and what sort effect it has had. possibly retained.

Ben Wilson; Not too sure about Ben, really want to say yes to him. Successful Sheffield teams have always had local riders in their team and like Steady Ben is a local lad. So like Andre I would say. possibly retained.

Josh Bates; Bit wild and erratic at times, but cannot fault his 100% effort, and the club have invested a lot of time and effort developing that talent. retain.

From my retained list I would love to see a team built around Simon Stead to give us a solid looking team, to do that we would need to sign riders who are between 5.5 and just below 7 point averages who riding at Sheffield each week could improve on those averages.

So with a team that I have at the moment.

(1) Stead

(2) ,

(3)

(4)

(5) Ty Proctor

(6) Taylor Poole (If not fit then Compton or Wilson)

(7) Josh Bates

For the other 3 spots take any of these riders

David Bellego

Jason Garrity

Kevin Wolbert

Ashley Birks

Looking at the new averages to come out have to scrap this team, as I did not bank on Steady's average rising by over a point and Taylor Poole putting about a point and half.

Latest Green Sheet averages from 01/10/2014.

S.Stead 9.96

T.Poole 6.05

A.Compton 5.59

B.Wilson 5.03

L.Lanham 4.96

N.Covatti 4.21

J.Bates 3.53

T.Proctor 6.27

Can see Nico being popular for 2015 line-ups, as long as he stops using Alfie Flowers engines in the UK.

Covatti ave is 7.53

so covatti's on 7.53 what would be mine arson ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think Covatti is a steal on 4.21

How about

Steady - 9.96

Covatti - 4.21

Poole - 6.05

Wilson - 5.03

Bates - 3.53

Proctor - 6.27

Wolbert - 6.19

Total 41.24

Certainly 6 riders in there that could increase there starting average

Very much doubt it, keeping Stead at No1 another almost 9 average rider would decimate your remaining team especially if the BSPA harbour any plans to tinker with the points limit? ;)

Sorry. I was being ironic in suggesting Grajczonek. He`s the last rider i`d want at Sheffield after the PLRC "accident".

I wouldn't complain at that team although would be nice to fit Andre in given how well he was going before the crash

What about;

1. Stead

2. Poole

3.Proctor/Wolbert

4.Birks

5. Allen

6.Wilson

7.Bates

thats a great elite league team lol

What about:

1. Stead 9.96

2. Hall 4.28

3. Proctor 6.27

4. Wilson 5.03

5. Allen 8.93

6. Bates 3.53

7. Covatti 4.21

Total: 42.21

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 1

On a 4.91 average I be doing my best to bring Lanham back in at reserve along side Bates. Don't forget he didn't have a team until a few weeks before the season started then carried injuries most of the season. But at reserve...I'd take him over risking Covatti all day long.

Ben Wilson has reached his peak, nothing more than a premier league reserve.

Hall a steal at Sheffield on 4.28 and class, but would struggle to score 4 away.

According to the Sheffield Star, the first signing may well be announced at the presentation night on 16 October. As the article refers to "new blood" it may give us an idea of which way the team is going to go. You have to presume that Stead, Bates and Poole are nailed on certainties (subject to fitness guarantees) so the first signing might give a clue if we are going for a big top end or a more balanced side

On a 4.91 average I be doing my best to bring Lanham back in at reserve along side Bates. Don't forget he didn't have a team until a few weeks before the season started then carried injuries most of the season. But at reserve...I'd take him over risking Covatti all day long.

Ben Wilson has reached his peak, nothing more than a premier league reserve.

Hall a steal at Sheffield on 4.28 and class, but would struggle to score 4 away.

I would also take Lanham well said

Lanham, not in a million years, you must have a short memory if you've forgotten how poor he was all the way through the season.

Lanham, not in a million years, you must have a short memory if you've forgotten how poor he was all the way through the season.

"all the way through the season" I think you need to rethink that one. Maybe your refering to the meetings where he rode not 100% fit after the Glasgow crash. Dont get me wrong I would have liked to see him score every meeting like he did against Edinburgh but in reality it does not happen.

What Leigh brings to the Team is good preparation, experience, dedication and reliable equipment which only let him down once out of 114 rides this season.

Leigh Lanham on his current average and quality of equipment and an excellent mechanic, any day.

• Like 2