British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Eastbourne 2015

There most certainly is a points total (40, I believe). Cradley used their financial muscle to build the best team they could while Scunthorpe made no attempt to build a competitive side and just chose to give some youngsters experience.

I suspect the points limit will be lower next season, but that will depend on the number of teams - I doubt very much that Plymouth will run again and I think that there will be a minimum limit too at least potentially ruling Scunthorpe out. Cradley may go PL.

Malcolm Vasey advocates setting a points limit year on year as close to the start of the season as possible. He's right.

I doesn't have to be close to the start of the season but it is essential that it is related to the number of teams in the League and the more there are at this level the lower the points limit must be so that the best riders are shared around between the teams as far as is possible. Therefore it cannot be formulated prior to the commitment of Clubs to compete at National league level for the 2015 season.

If there are to be 12 teams in the National League next season I would suggest that given the shortage of top riders the points limit can safely be reduced to around 35 or 36 points. We must also remember that riders' averages are slightly inflated on previous years due to the fact that there were some exceptionally low averaged opponents in the League last season. I don't wish to comment on the rights and wrongs of that but I think for the sake of evenness of teams there should be a lower limit that all teams must reach at the start of the season about five points perhaps less then the actual points limit. We are in the entertainment business and sides racking up over seventy points is rarely exciting.

Last year there was considerable upheaval at this level because of the Fast Track system which is an important rider development tool and should continue but some attempt needs to be made to minimise the effect on Clubs who's core business is the National League otherwise the support will diminish further. This can be done perhaps by Elite teams having a Fast Track Squad of three riders and also by the National League Clubs perhaps dodging fixture clashes by changing dates of matches whenever possible.

We have to give the public there own team at all levels whenever possible many people say to me that the excess of guests and riders doubling up and down is spoiling the sport's appeal as everyone rides for everyone else. I think they have a point.

Malcolm Vasey

• Like 8

This can be done perhaps by Elite teams having a Fast Track Squad of three riders and also by the National League Clubs perhaps dodging fixture clashes by changing dates of matches whenever possible.

Squad idea is good - not right the number of guests theres been in the nl this year.

The problem with 'dodging fixture clashes' is it leads to probs getting nl fixtures completed by the cut off

Squad idea is good - not right the number of guests theres been in the nl this year.

The probIlem with 'dodging fixture clashes' is it leads to probs getting nl fixtures completed by the cut off

I was thinking of my own Club we could switch a home match to a Sunday sometimes and do that even to help other Clubs. I am not advocating mass delay with fixtures far from it just switching by a day perhaps many teams are stuck with a set day of the week and have to get on with it.

So many people are saying that there are far too many guests they want their own team it is impacting on attendances and it is impacting on our credibility especially when we say so often that riders are in three teams etc. Its not acceptable on the present scale something has to be done at all; levels. Newcomers to our sport must think we are like all in wrestling when we make such statements.

Malcolm Vasey

• Like 3

I was thinking of my own Club we could switch a home match to a Sunday sometimes and do that even to help other Clubs. I am not advocating mass delay with fixtures far from it just switching by a day perhaps many teams are stuck with a set day of the week and have to get on with it.

So many people are saying that there are far too many guests they want their own team it is impacting on attendances and it is impacting on our credibility especially when we say so often that riders are in three teams etc. Its not acceptable on the present scale something has to be done at all; levels. Newcomers to our sport must think we are like all in wrestling when we make such statements.

Malcolm Vasey

Hopefully, if the Elite go with one day Wednesday, there shouldn't be any fixture clashes. National looking excellent next year with Eastbourne & Lakeside hopefully joining

Agree with your suggestions about a lower points limit & a reduced higher points limit - the way to go

• Like 1

Any word on if Isle of Wight will be back in the national league next season.

Chopper

AGM is on Tuesday.

AGM is on Tuesday.

Lets hope for good news.

With the prospect of Eastbourne,Lakeside and perhaps Milton Keynes ?

The NL next has the look of a much more interesting League.

Lets hope for good news.With the prospect of Eastbourne,Lakeside and perhaps Milton Keynes ?The NL next has the look of a much more interesting League.

and Leicester too?

and Leicester too?

I'm not sure that's a goer. I don't think it pulled in the crowds to make it viable

Lets hope for good news.

With the prospect of Eastbourne,Lakeside and perhaps Milton Keynes ?

... and probably Rye House.

... and probably Rye House.

Do you think? I'd say it's kinda unlikely cos of the Kent connection. theyd simply not be enough riders to go around this many NL clubs in the south east

Do you think? I'd say it's kinda unlikely cos of the Kent connection. theyd simply not be enough riders to go around this many NL clubs in the south east

There's plenty of riders to go round the whole country if the points limit is lowered, as it should well be. As a Rye fan I have missed the NL, it offers us fans regular action and watching a novice mature into a real prospect is always enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1

There's plenty of riders to go round the whole country if the points limit is lowered, as it should well be. As a Rye fan I have missed the NL, it offers us fans regular action and watching a novice mature into a real prospect is always enjoyable to watch.

Will only happen if Mr Silver and Mr Sampford leave Kent.

Does not look that way at the moment.

I doesn't have to be close to the start of the season but it is essential that it is related to the number of teams in the League and the more there are at this level the lower the points limit must be so that the best riders are shared around between the teams as far as is possible. Therefore it cannot be formulated prior to the commitment of Clubs to compete at National league level for the 2015 season.

If there are to be 12 teams in the National League next season I would suggest that given the shortage of top riders the points limit can safely be reduced to around 35 or 36 points. We must also remember that riders' averages are slightly inflated on previous years due to the fact that there were some exceptionally low averaged opponents in the League last season. I don't wish to comment on the rights and wrongs of that but I think for the sake of evenness of teams there should be a lower limit that all teams must reach at the start of the season about five points perhaps less then the actual points limit. We are in the entertainment business and sides racking up over seventy points is rarely exciting.

Last year there was considerable upheaval at this level because of the Fast Track system which is an important rider development tool and should continue but some attempt needs to be made to minimise the effect on Clubs who's core business is the National League otherwise the support will diminish further. This can be done perhaps by Elite teams having a Fast Track Squad of three riders and also by the National League Clubs perhaps dodging fixture clashes by changing dates of matches whenever possible.

We have to give the public there own team at all levels whenever possible many people say to me that the excess of guests and riders doubling up and down is spoiling the sport's appeal as everyone rides for everyone else. I think they have a point.

Malcolm Vasey

Very good post Malcolm, and as you say the limit needs to be 35/36 Max and 30 point min, but has to be tied to the number of Teams competing in the NL.