British Speedway Forum
doners1234

What The Visa Issues Could Mean For Teams.

I think the strict 7.00 average or top 4 in a state championship is arbitrary and a waste of time. Just assess any newcomer from outside the EU at 7.00. Then just make the rule that for team building purposes any non EU rider can never drop below 7.00. Speedway's points limit is a built in check and balance that will weed out the ones that don't need to be here. No promoter is going to waste 7.00 on a rider that can't get anywhere near it. Let Holder, for example, in on a 7. If he only gets 5.00 this season, let a promoter decide if he wants him in 2016 on a 7.00 average.

Not sure if it is legal but if so, apply the same criteria to EU riders. It's not like we would be banning them.

Edited by AlanF

baa. baa, non-white sheep, have you any wool, etc.etc.etc

I think that should be non-specific colour. :cheers:

• Like 1

I think the strict 7.00 average or top 4 in a state championship is arbitrary and a waste of time. Just assess any newcomer from outside the EU at 7.00. Then just make the rule that for team building purposes any non EU rider can never drop below 7.00. Speedway's points limit is a built in check and balance that will weed out the ones that don't need to be here. No promoter is going to waste 7.00 on a rider that can't get anywhere near it. Let Holder, for example, in on a 7. If he only gets 5.00 this season, let a promoter decide if he wants him in 2016 on a 7.00 average.

Not sure if it is legal but if so, apply the same criteria to EU riders. It's not like we would be banning them.

But you're in effect giving rubbish rider a free season. The whole idea of the state final thing is to make sure they're at least in with a chance of making the 7. It's flawed as the top 4 from the WA State final have no chance of making 7 but the top 4 from the NSW state final stand a good chance anyway. I'd prefer it just said top 7 or 8 in the Aussie titles.

But you're in effect giving rubbish rider a free season. The whole idea of the state final thing is to make sure they're at least in with a chance of making the 7. It's flawed as the top 4 from the WA State final have no chance of making 7 but the top 4 from the NSW state final stand a good chance anyway. I'd prefer it just said top 7 or 8 in the Aussie titles.

I would hope a promoter would know he was rubbish before he used up 7.00 of the points limit on him.

So as a result of the UK V&I rules, the government decides on who rides in the UK rather than the promoters?

But then someone could always maskerade as a speedway rider in order to gain access to the UK .... and one or two from previous seasons spring to mind.

I would hope a promoter would know he was rubbish before he used up 7.00 of the points limit on him.

I know he's not Australian/American etc., but Glasgow signed Palovaara on a 7 last season, knowing full well he'd probably be a reserve for 2015.

I know he's not Australian/American etc., but Glasgow signed Palovaara on a 7 last season, knowing full well he'd probably be a reserve for 2015.

But they probably wouldn't have done if they knew he would be 7 this year as well.

Glasgow signed Palovara because we were a man short. He came in on an assessed 7. If the SourKraut had ridden as he should have Victor wouldn't have been riding at No1 and may have scored more.

Glasgow signed Palovara because we were a man short. He came in on an assessed 7. If the SourKraut had ridden as he should have Victor wouldn't have been riding at No1 and may have scored more.

should've only been a 5 anyway,,, he's not an Aussie or Yank, so how come ???

Joey Ringwood

Victor Palovaara

Harley Horwood

Jayden O'Malley

Marek Mroz

Rafal Konopka

Kurt Shields

All those names disprove your point. Promoters will still sign them.

edit > How could I forget Mitchell Davey. And there was Damien Koppe.

I bet half of them didn't actually qualify for a permit as I seriously doubt they made top 4 in a state final!

Edited by SCB

Interesting SCB that you name three riders there who were initially refused work permits - Harley Horwood, Jayden O'Malley and Joey Ringwood. The BSPA initially refused to back their applications so they couldnt apply for a work permit but the decision was overturned on appeal.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/speedway-jayden-blow-dickson-co-2557414

should've only been a 5 anyway,,, he's not an Aussie or Yank, so how come ???

Think that 7 was correct - he had been riding in the Elitserien for four (yes four) years. Palovaraa wasn't a bad signing on paper...

...but on track, well ..not so impressive.

• Like 1

At least your giving an opinion Alan, your right you would think a promoter would work out the riders that he would want, and not waste 7 points in doing so on a rider the year before was on a much less cma, but some are so stupid, and like SCB said they will still take them on just the same, clubs take a chance on any rider when they come over for the first time, four of five years ago it was rare for a Australian rider to go straight into the PL before having at least a season in the CL has it was known then, and that's down to clubs thinking every Australian is another Chris Holder.

Edited by Devildodger

At least your giving an opinion Alan, your right you would think a promoter would work out the riders that he would want, and not waste 7 points in doing so on a rider the year before was on a much less cma, but some are so stupid, and like SCB said they will still take them on just the same, clubs take a chance on any rider when they come over for the first time, four of five years ago it was rare for a Australian rider to go straight into the PL before having at least a season in the CL has it was known then, and that's down to clubs thinking every Australian is another Chris Holder.

Thats just not true. Apart from one season when each teams was allowed to sign one work permit rider so Dyer, Sedgemen, Mark Jones, Ward and a few others were allowed to ride NL, Aussies have not been allowed to ride NL. Until about 2010ish they had to come in on a 7 in the PL and until 2001 a 9. So you only had the decent ones. They made it 5 and Glasgow signed anyone with an Aussie accent up in the hope of striking it lucky. They must have signed about 8 or 9 Aussies since the rules let them in on a 5 and only Grajzonek has got the 5 - they struck it lucky with Mason Campton in that Workington bought him off them for some odd reasons. Between the rest of them I don't think they got a 4 pointer average!