British Speedway Forum
Alan_Jones

The Ace Of Herts Becomes The Pair Of Aces @ Rye House Saturday October 10th

Rob, the point I was trying to make the point the Ace of Herts has in the recent past been run as a twelve rider event and they just don’t get my taste buds going I’m afraid. Long gone are the days of the last meeting being the 32 riders Champions Chase like we had at Hackney or the 16 rider Pride of the East at Kings Lynn, where I first saw a raw Zenon Plech ride. Those types of meetings just don’t happen in the UK anymore and probably never will. We’re under the GP thumb I’m afraid. It needs a breakaway body in speedway away from the speedway GP’s and I think with the European Championships gathering momentum this could well be that start of just that.

Now, to up the price by a couple of quid is really, in my opinion, wrong. As Shad’s says the price hike wasn’t very clever and I did also make that point, but it was still a healthy crowd.

If all the riders were on the same money [which I’m certain they weren’t] I wouldn’t have had so much of an issue over that. Personally I have enjoyed NL speedway more than ever this year.

Yes there have been the internal arguments at the club and I don’t think they’ve over yet and of course probably the worst season Rockets have ever had regarding injuries. So by putting Raiders out with more experienced EL and PL riders I think was probably a bold [and cheap] move. Reading other people’s posts on facebook they seemed to quite enjoy the evening, but to us speedway connoisseurs, well it was indeed poor.

The real fireworks took place at the end of the meeting and I have to say were probably every bit as good as Cardiff [can I say that] although they didn’t in my view marry up very well with the music, but that’s a nothing really.

Speedway promoters you would have thought would have learnt their lessons by now, but unfortunately it’s very much an old boys club and a closed shop at the BSPA. Let’s hope that Warren Scott doesn’t get disillusioned with speedway like so many other former promoters.

Sadly Paul, when have there not been rows behind the scenes at Rye House apart from in the Russell years? Divide and conquer has always been the management philosophy, although I understand she was finally banned this year...

I think we actually agree on all points. Those twelve man individuals just weren't acceptable but sadly this event didn't seem any better. It's a long way from what we enjoyed for so long. Sadly people just assume the way it is now is the way it always has to be and write-off those who point out that it can and should be better as living in the past. I doubt whether they'd take that lazy attitude if they personally fell as ill as the sport is now.

The PL has to plough its own course, perhaps in tandem with the NL and just keep well clear from the toxic situation in the upper league as it finally is crushed by overseas demands.

It's just about four riders putting on a race, but mixing NL riders with a couple of EL riders and charging extra is just not on.

Hopefully lessons will have been learned from the new promotion this year and Rye House can progress. The Rockets were my team for years since Rayleigh days and I do miss it all at times but after the treatment given to Steve Ribbons I couldn't go back.

I met up with an old friend last weekend who's got involved on the track side this year after many years away and he tells me that as long as you keep out of the politics it can still be fun. He mentioned how many old faces were still there which is reassuring given the loudmouths who seem to represent the Rickets here and are unrecognisable from the crowd I knew.

Hopefully once the Silver influence is finally gone we can meet up there again....

Sadly Paul, when have there not been rows behind the scenes at Rye House apart from in the Russell years? Divide and conquer has always been the management philosophy, although I understand she was finally banned this year...

I think we actually agree on all points. Those twelve man individuals just weren't acceptable but sadly this event didn't seem any better. It's a long way from what we enjoyed for so long. Sadly people just assume the way it is now is the way it always has to be and write-off those who point out that it can and should be better as living in the past. I doubt whether they'd take that lazy attitude if they personally fell as ill as the sport is now.

The PL has to plough its own course, perhaps in tandem with the NL and just keep well clear from the toxic situation in the upper league as it finally is crushed by overseas demands.

It's just about four riders putting on a race, but mixing NL riders with a couple of EL riders and charging extra is just not on.

Hopefully lessons will have been learned from the new promotion this year and Rye House can progress. The Rockets were my team for years since Rayleigh days and I do miss it all at times but after the treatment given to Steve Ribbons I couldn't go back.

I met up with an old friend last weekend who's got involved on the track side this year after many years away and he tells me that as long as you keep out of the politics it can still be fun. He mentioned how many old faces were still there which is reassuring [/b]given the loudmouths who seem to represent the Rickets here and are unrecognisable from the crowd I knew.[/b]

Hopefully once the Silver influence is finally gone we can meet up there again....

I've known of lemons that are less bitter.

I've known of lemons that are less bitter.

That the best you can do? Pathetic.

Not bitter - just experienced and angry about how people have been treated. You go through what I and my friends have done and you'd wake up.

As I was saying about the types that speak for Rye House in this forum...............................

Edited by rmc

That the best you can do? Pathetic.

Not bitter - just experienced and angry about how people have been treated. You go through what I and my friends have done and you'd wake up.

As I was saying about the types that speak for Rye House in this forum...............................

You shouldn't hold grudges, it's bad for the soul. Every post is a moan, I'd look past the end of your nose before you begin tarring others.

The EL gets the money because it's the EL that gets shown because put quite simply, people want to see the best. We can argue the merits or each league and which is "best" but it's not different to the fact PL football gets the money, F1 gets the money and not the Conference or F3 or GP2 etc.

I actually agree with you on that SCB. My problem is, and always has been, that for years now the Elite League has been watered down to a point where there is not, if you are totally honest, a great deal of difference between the two Leagues. Yet, it has to be repeated the Elite League get all of the money and most of the coverage. Were all of the GP Riders riding in the Elite League I could possibly accept all of this - but - in the Elite League nowadays almost one third of each Team are National League Riders. As you say in your Post - "people want to see the best" - well, with respect there is no way that Teams containing National League Riders, and by the way, lots of Premier League Riders too can be called the best - because they are not. It doesn't matter how you dress it up, National League Riders and Premier League Riders are not 'the best'. Some of them may well develop in to the best - but at present they are not............

All in all - British Speedway is in a mess and in badly needs sorting out. How they do this now I don't know. One League? Perhaps. Something does, however, need to be done - and done soon.

I met up with an old friend last weekend who's got involved on the track side this year after many years away and he tells me that as long as you keep out of the politics it can still be fun. He mentioned how many old faces were still there which is reassuring given the loudmouths who seem to represent the Rickets here and are unrecognisable from the crowd I knew.

I didn't realise they were that poorly. :shock: :shock: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Cool blimey there are some people who have to move on, what went on in the past is exactly that in the past. RMC Rayleigh don't ride anymore, screen sport is no longer with us, times change, people move on, scrap the bitterness and enjoy life. Speedway is still great if you watch it and go home and forget it. The rest of you give the new guys a chance, you just never know, they may turn it around with a bit of support.

Prem league for me, plus 13 heat format and the old tax sub, plus a second half so those waiting in the wings get a chance... But it won't happen, so enjoy what you have whilst you have it, ask Hull, Exeter, Wimbledon, Hackney, West Ham and many others fans..

• Like 5

Cool blimey there are some people who have to move on, what went on in the past is exactly that in the past. RMC Rayleigh don't ride anymore, screen sport is no longer with us, times change, people move on, scrap the bitterness and enjoy life. Speedway is still great if you watch it and go home and forget it. The rest of you give the new guys a chance, you just never know, they may turn it around with a bit of support.

Prem league for me, plus 13 heat format and the old tax sub, plus a second half so those waiting in the wings get a chance... But it won't happen, so enjoy what you have whilst you have it, ask Hull, Exeter, Wimbledon, Hackney, West Ham and many others fans..

Ken I liked what you say about screensport and Rayleigh. True they are gone but you go on to spoil it by wanting to turn the clock back God knows how many years to a 13 heat format tac subs etc. Sadly with the riders available to the sport these days the 13 heat formula would no longer work, far too much of a gulf between the qualities of heat leaders and todays reserves. As for the new Promoters they have to earn respect not assume it is there. Like many they will have no idea what it is like to have to juggle finance to enable you to have your speedway fix. Last season their first i saw nothing to make me see better value for my money and i don't just mean the quality or should i say lack of quality on the track.