British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Humphrey Appleby

Coventry's New Stadium

Doubt it! It's bounded by roads on two sides, and Morrisons and Warwickshire Shopping Centre on the other two. Nearest would be the opposite side of the A46, which is Broad Street RFC ground

Broadstreet RFC is where Wasps are going to build their state of the art training ground.The land along the A46 is where JLR are proposing to build their new factory.The possible site for Bees new stadium is the old tip site along Brandon Lane.

First speedway meeting at Brough Park 17th May 1929.

First meeting at Monmore Green, August 1928.

Interestingly, the Speedway Researcher web-site records the opening meeting at Monmore to be a few days earlier on 30 May 1928:

'We 30.5.28 Monmore Green, Wolverhampton

S-TPWY ; SR 3/1 p18; HWS p1;

Opening meeting. 5,000. Wolverhampton Dirt-track Motorcycle Club.

Jack Parker was excluded for looking behind in the 350cc Final.

M.R Sprouts Elder v Ivor Creek - cancelled when Elder's bike failed.

350cc Final: Bert Perrigo

500cc Final: P Sturridge'

One of the sources is quoted as Mark Sawbridge's 'A History of Wolverhampton Speedway'.

(Earlier meetings are shown as having taken place at stadia that still exist, but not at current speedway circuits.)

The web-site also suggests that racing took place at Arlington in 1928 too.

Edited by macca56
  • Like 2

Interestingly, the Speedway Researcher web-site records the opening meeting at Monmore to be a few days earlier on 30 May 1928:

'We 30.5.28 Monmore Green, Wolverhampton

S-TPWY ; SR 3/1 p18; HWS p1;

Opening meeting. 5,000. Wolverhampton Dirt-track Motorcycle Club.

Jack Parker was excluded for looking behind in the 350cc Final.

M.R Sprouts Elder v Ivor Creek - cancelled when Elder's bike failed.

350cc Final: Bert Perrigo

500cc Final: P Sturridge'

One of the sources is quoted as Mark Sawbridge's 'A History of Wolverhampton Speedway'.

(Earlier meetings are shown as having taken place at stadia that still exist, but not at current speedway circuits.)

Excluded for looking behind??? That's a bit harsh!!!

I knew I should have looked there since it's such an excellent site. I'm not surprised about Arlington but I wonder if more closely resembled grasstrack back then? The dividing lines were so much more blurred back then.

We're lucky to still have these stadia that have served our sport so well for so long. I miss those that have fallen by the way though, even Crayford ;-) I'm hating the idea that I'll now have to say goodbye to Brandon and Blunsdon this year since these places have been part of my life for decades and I'm only an occasional visitor.

The instability of our sport can carry a very heavy price, as I found when my own beloved Rayleigh closed just as I had fallen in love with it and the great sport it hosted.

We need to cherish what we have, while we have it.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

A rule that still existed in the early 70s.

Blimey!!!!

When was the last rider excluded for looking behind, and who was it and where? Also, how the hell did riders team ride? The rose tinted brigade never ever mention any of this??

• Like 1

Blimey!!!!

When was the last rider excluded for looking behind, and who was it and where? Also, how the hell did riders team ride? The rose tinted brigade never ever mention any of this??

There was one rider last year that should have been excluded for looking behind him, cannot remember who it was but he was even looking behind him when he was last :blink: .

There was one rider last year that should have been excluded for looking behind him, cannot remember who it was but he was even looking behind him when he was last :blink: .

perhaps he was worried about being lapped!
  • Like 1

perhaps he was worried about being lapped!

No, was never that far back which made it stupid to keep looking behind, must have been habit.

I remember John Earrhy making an announcement after a Heat at Foxhall, probably mid-70's, that John Louis had been warned by the referee for looking behind him too frequently (in JL's efforts to team ride). Thought it was meant as a joke at the time, but maybe it was for real.

I remember John Earrhy making an announcement after a Heat at Foxhall, probably mid-70's, that John Louis had been warned by the referee for looking behind him too frequently (in JL's efforts to team ride). Thought it was meant as a joke at the time, but maybe it was for real.

In the 1971 regs, the Foul or Dangerous Riding rule (210) includes the following;

"A rider turning his head to look backwards may be warned and for a repetition of the offence may be excluded."

• Like 2