British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Humphrey Appleby

Coventry's New Stadium

From the report in this week's Spar, it seems to be shaping up to be another Swindon. So where is this unidentified piece of land, and if planning permission hasn't even been obtained yet, then that doesn't sound too good for the continuation of the sport if this is the last season at Brandon.

Also had to smile at the assertion that a local farm would be providing the meat for the stadium. Erm... aren't there regulations that cattle need to be slaughtered in abattoirs?

• Like 1

From the report in this week's Spar, it seems to be shaping up to be another Swindon. So where is this unidentified piece of land, and if planning permission hasn't even been obtained yet, then that doesn't sound too good for the continuation of the sport if this is the last season at Brandon.

Also had to smile at the assertion that a local farm would be providing the meat for the stadium. Erm... aren't there regulations that cattle need to be slaughtered in abattoirs?

Coventry Telegraph says its between the Binley Woods and Toll Bar junctions. Brandon Lane keeps getting mentioned as it seems Coventry Council own land in that area.

Horton thinks a track can be put down and temporary facilities can be put in place to start with or sharing with Leicester for the season, which I guess will be more likely in 2017.

Edited by woz01

IN which case, you would be better just running the Storm for a couple of years. As it was supposed to be land which is too polluted for housing, could the land be the sewage farm near Wolston? (In future, we will be able to tell Cov fans because they breath through their mouths :icon_smile_clown: ) The rest of this area is farmland.

What about the Ricoh? Only a dying football club play there so put a track in there and let the football team play in the middle.

Sorted.

What about the Ricoh? Only a dying football club play there so put a track in there and let the football team play in the middle.

Sorted.

What about Wasps?

Sorted.

Haha. Wasps now have full control of the Ricoh with CCFC as tenants. Oh and less of the dying football club wrbare getting promoted... hopefully. Edited by woz01

Haha. Wasps now have full control of the Ricoh with CCFC as tenants. Oh and less of the dying football club wrbare getting promoted... hopefully.

how did Coventry City get out of the £30.000.000 it owed the council ? and get back in there in the first place

how did Coventry City get out of the £30.000.000 it owed the council ? and get back in there in the first place

It was never that much but administration did the trick. Funny thing is the club (sisu) is now trying to sue the council for loss of earnings after the council loaned ACL (the company running the Ricoh) 16m claiming that loan was state aid but also meant the club had to suffer administration and move away from Coventry.

Edited by woz01

Rugby s a sport I care little for and clearly know even less about.

I haven't a clue that wasps is a Coventry team, and don't have the slightest idea where Saracens, Harlequins, Ospreys, Sale, or where London Irish, Scottish or Welsh play. Neither am I in the slightest bit interested.

Union in my opinion is a dreadfully messy sport bogged down in penalties and a rule book that hardly anyone knows other than officials.

I haven't a clue that wasps is a Coventry team, and don't have the slightest idea where Saracens, Harlequins, Ospreys, Sale, or where London Irish, Scottish or Welsh play. Neither am I in the slightest bit interested.

Union in my opinion is a dreadfully messy sport bogged down in penalties and a rule book that hardly anyone knows other than officials.

and a rule book that hardly anyone knows other than officials ... some comparison with speedway then :neutral:

• Like 8

and a rule book that hardly anyone knows other than officials ... some comparison with speedway then :neutral:

As you will know, if a thinned down rule book was to ever be introduced, it would be necessary within weeks, when sensible rules are challenged by being too simplistic, to issue supplementary's to stop things that it was never intended to do. It would be a cheaters charter. Exactly the same reasons why the technical issues of F1 run to many many pages and still get breached.

• Like 2

As you will know, if a thinned down rule book was to ever be introduced, it would be necessary within weeks, when sensible rules are challenged by being too simplistic, to issue supplementary's to stop things that it was never intended to do. It would be a cheaters charter. Exactly the same reasons why the technical issues of F1 run to many many pages and still get breached.

Philippe is not the deepest of thinkers sometimes... The rule book was actually slimmed down some years ago, and the situation is no better now than before.

There is a case for rethinking and simplifying some aspects of the team building rules, but in general the rule book needs more clarification which implies more complexity.

I think the rule book was last slimmed down in the early 00's about 2002.

Just to make it even more confusing, London Irish play in Reading and London Welsh play in Oxford.

I've heard of Wasps, but, like you, didn't have the slightest idea that they played in Coventry.

However, Wasps average crowds of over 15,000 per game, Saracens 10,000 sell-outs Leicester approaching 30,000 and Twickenham stages five internationals a season which are 70,000 plus sell outs ... just wish speedway could be even partially as well supported.

Oh and speedway's big day of the season involves us half filling a rugby stadium in south Wales!

Edited by George Dodds
  • Like 5