British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gresham

300 Riders World Wide....

....according to Matt Ford, there are only 300 riders world wide!!!!

I know there are not that many riders...but even with doubling up, surely it's more than that?

It does stop you in your tracks though...there are way less than 1000 riders world wide, which is nuts in the big picture of things.

Surprised so many people can make a business from the sport.

Slightly more than 300 on this list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18wvOs1SUYAz9O50h3xcKFBNzceM7HtRnAhwaLMKHFD0/edit?hl=ru&pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

but if you look at the riders around 300 in the rankings you do get to EDR 2nd tier level (e.g. James Sarjeant, Daniel Gappmaier, Nike Lunna, Carl Wilkinson, Luke Bowen, Adam Roynon) so 300 riders of sufficient ability to compete in the EL is about right.

• Like 1

An interesting list but I may need an urgent visit to Supersavers because I don't see any riders from Argentina listed, nor the handful Canadians and East Coast USA riders. Or am I misunderstanding - as I probably am - the actual specifics of what this lengthy list is supposed to specify?

There are Argentians on the list. And a number of Americans, not sure if they are east coast.

List as I understand it ranks all riders racing competitively.

Which Canadian riders were u expecing to see?

There are Argentians on the list. And a number of Americans, not sure if they are east coast.

List as I understand it ranks all riders racing competitively.

Which Canadian riders were u expecing to see?

These are a few currently active Canadian riders - Zach Peters, John Kehoe, Terry Rideout, Gary Moody, Kyle Legault.

Yes, I can now see that there are Argentine riders detailed.

Edited by Guest

Slightly more than 300 on this list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18wvOs1SUYAz9O50h3xcKFBNzceM7HtRnAhwaLMKHFD0/edit?hl=ru&pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

but if you look at the riders around 300 in the rankings you do get to EDR 2nd tier level (e.g. James Sarjeant, Daniel Gappmaier, Nike Lunna, Carl Wilkinson, Luke Bowen, Adam Roynon) so 300 riders of sufficient ability to compete in the EL is about right.

The list also appears to include the likes of Darcy ward, Billy Hamill and Jason Crump... Edited by Tkdandy

Casey Donholt (331), Mikey Buman (507) and Adam Mittl (508) are the top East Coast Americans - personally I don't think there is much to choose between the three of them.

Based on 2015 results Legault's ranking would be above Donholt, Mittl and Buman (but as he won all 7 meetings it is hard to tell how much higher) while Kehoe and Rideout might just creep into the bottom of the list. nb There were 7 events at Welland - five with five or fewer competitors and two where Buman and Mittl came up from New York state. (Note an event typically consists of 3-5 speedway races in a mixed motor cycle meeting)

First results from Welland 2016 season:

28 May - 1 Legault 2 Kehoe (2 competitors only)

18 June - 1 Zach Peters 2 Legault 3 Kehoe (6 competitors)

25 June - 1 Legault 2 Kehoe 3 Peters (6 competitors)

Note Legault only competed in four of eight events in 2014, but won them all. his 2013 record was 7 wins in nine appearances,coming second to Buman and Kehoe in the other two. So quite a feat for Peters to beat him last month.

I suggest Zach Peters should be added to the list as well!

http://www.wellandmotorcycleclub.com/racing/speedway/results.htm

There is no other speedway in Canada at present apart from an annual longtrack meeting at Belleville.

The list also appears to include the likes of Darcy ward, Billy Hamill and Jason Crump...

Vlad doesn't remove riders until they have been inactive for two years. You may also notice he includes 85cc Swedish and Danish riders* and other youth classes (eg Dan Thompson (686) and Joe Thompson (781))

* 464 Jonathan Grahn and 672 Benjamin Basso are the highest ranked of these.

Just in Denmark(ok there are a few Germans etc included)

There are about 100 500cc,120 85cc and 80 50cc(quite a bit down on a few years ago I think) and then about 40 old boys riding

The list also appears to include the likes of Darcy ward, Billy Hamill and Jason Crump...

Hamill and Crump have both ridden in the last 12 months.

Just in Denmark(ok there are a few Germans etc included)

There are about 100 500cc,120 85cc and 80 50cc(quite a bit down on a few years ago I think) and then about 40 old boys riding

2014 Gundersen said it was about 150+150 in juniors.

Poland has about 70 riders alone to start in their individual champs qualis.

....according to Matt Ford, there are only 300 riders world wide!!!!

I know there are not that many riders...but even with doubling up, surely it's more than that?

It does stop you in your tracks though...there are way less than 1000 riders world wide, which is nuts in the big picture of things.

Surprised so many people can make a business from the sport.

Could Matt Ford have meant WORLD CLASS RIDERS rather than riders? There is a difference? :unsure:

Could Matt Ford have meant WORLD CLASS RIDERS rather than riders? There is a difference? :unsure:

Most likely...it was in the context of lack of available riders and British speedways lack of flexibility contributing to the Elite leagues stagnation.

The mind boggles though...so much talk, yet very little action.

Considering he's a full time promotor...Poole haven't had a fixture for the best part of a month, then when they finally do, it's made up with predominately guest riders. You couldn't make it up.

It's why I'm not really interested in the elite league anymore... it's a joke.

Give me the Prem any day of the week.