British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alex2000

Eastbourne Vs Kent 23rd July 7:30pm

Interesting meeting with Tom Brennan pulling off an absolutely fantastic first lap to take the lead in heat 2 and lead by quite a margin. He did then seem to lose his engine for a couple of races, must have miss placed it before finding it again to secure a crucial 3-3. 6 points in your first ever NL meeting what more could you ask for great riding! Jake knight showing signs of lack of racing I'm surprised no PL have called on him as he has been good this year. Thankfully we beat the Kings! I queued to get out the carpark as well not done that for a while!

Fair result over all and one I would have accepted prior to tapes up.

Heat 8 exclusion was pretty amazing tbf but things evened up when Danny Ayres got knocked off in heat 13.

On that subject I do wish fans would save cheering until they know the rider is ok, twas a big roar before he had even bounced off the fence.

But effectively a good night with no real controversy affecting the result.

Great for Brennan to score a couple of wins, Georgie Wood very good indeed but mom the match for Mr is James Shanes, not sure how many times Ellis has been beaten at Arlington this year but I bet it's not many.

Good atmosphere and biggest speedway crowd I ve seen at Arlington for many many years.

• Like 1

That's was the first time he was beat^

heat 8 decision could have gone either way.. Out of the 5 of us neutrals on 1st bend two had it one way, two the other, and I couldn't call it.

Fair result over all and one I would have accepted prior to tapes up.

Heat 8 exclusion was pretty amazing tbf but things evened up when Danny Ayres got knocked off in heat 13.

On that subject I do wish fans would save cheering until they know the rider is ok, twas a big roar before he had even bounced off the fence.

But effectively a good night with no real controversy affecting the result.

Great for Brennan to score a couple of wins, Georgie Wood very good indeed but mom the match for Mr is James Shanes, not sure how many times Ellis has been beaten at Arlington this year but I bet it's not many.

Good atmosphere and biggest speedway crowd I ve seen at Arlington for many many years.

Agree think it was one of the best NL matches I've seen and the atmosphere was good with a tiny bit of controversy. As you say James Shanes is great to watch, love his 'grass track' riding style. Edited by gazzac

You needed to be grandstand side mike, it was as clear as day.

Which grandstand?

We were on the start / finish straight and as soon as Perks made his "move" we could only see one outcome, the one the ref called correctly in our view. As was the exclusion of Danny Ayres in Heat 13, (which was shaping up to be the best race of the night).

A very entertaining meeting, Eagles weren't at their best from the gate, not usually a problem but Jake Knight seemed to be down on power and Adam Ellis should have moved to the outside a lap earlier when challenging Shanes, he would have got him, but far play to James Shanes, a great win for him. Also pleased for Tom Brennan, some smart moves from the youngster and he looked quite comfortable and stylish on the bike.

Now, a couple of gripes -

I like the riders coming round on the concrete stock car track, high fiving or a gentle wave with the fans at a speed of something just above tick over pace. The last few meetings have seen riders coming round at too great a speed, sometimes with reduced upper body protection, and last night Ellis Perks thought it a good idea to pull a wheelie by the busy start / finish line - really ? Consider if anything had gone wrong, the barriers would offer what protection to spectators ? I'll not say much more, only that someone, management, referee, clerk of the course, whoever need to seriously look at this. Young men, adrenaline and powerful machines, combined, are all good reasons to have a sensible rule about this.

Our announcer is not without confidence and it is nice that he is building a rapport with fans but I feel a bit more seriousness (the heat 15 incident) and bit less "bloke-ishness" (where's Coventry ? / Birmingham ?) on occasions would help. Finally if he could just ease up on the vocal HRT it would make a massive difference. (The high rising terminal (HRT), also known as upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI), is a feature of some variants of English where declarative sentence clauses end with a rising-pitch intonation).

Oh, and just for our Birmingham friend, (you know who you are), Rye House, Birmingham and Kent have all taken a point from Eastbourne at Arlington so I don't think Eastbourne as NL champions due to our "trick track" advantage is as much as a forgone conclusion as you would like to believe.

Oh cut the boy some slack woofers don't put a downer on evrything try enjoying your life health and safety have taken over everything in the last ten years.

I don't think he believes that for one moment. Just being unpleasant trying to wind us up and of course it gives him the opportunity to say 'because of the trick track' if they lose and boast how clever they are if they win 'in spite of the trick track'

As Kelvin Tatum has often said one of the joys of Speedway is different shapes and sizes of the tracks. Quality riders adapt to them as they come, Not so good riders complain because it is not to their particular liking.

• Like 1

Finally if he could just ease up on the vocal HRT it would make a massive difference. (The high rising terminal (HRT), also known as upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI), is a feature of some variants of English where declarative sentence clauses end with a rising-pitch intonation).

Brilliant!

In all the years I've dipped in and out of the BSF this is by far the best thing I've ever read!!

Our announcer is not without confidence and it is nice that he is building a rapport with fans but I feel a bit more seriousness (the heat 15 incident) and bit less "bloke-ishness" (where's Coventry ? / Birmingham ?) on occasions would help. Finally if he could just ease up on the vocal HRT it would make a massive difference. (The high rising terminal (HRT), also known as upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI), is a feature of some variants of English where declarative sentence clauses end with a rising-pitch intonation).

I like the announcer. At least he tries to get the crowd involved.

As to the meeting, it was decent because it was so close but the racing at Eastbourne never seems to be as good as it should be. Its not a bad track, there just don't seem to be the racing lines that it used to have any more. Pity.

Close call in heat 8. I had a reasonable view by the starting tapes and it could have gone either way.

Another track that charges full price for an insert. That's simply not on :angry:

One last thing : Good to see Uncle Bob on the tractor given that he has been very ill.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I am a kent fan and thought heat 8 exclusion was a joke tbf. Really thought we got away with one there. Although speaking to Danny Ayres later, things evened up as he was brought down in 13 but got excluded.