British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Why Is Speedway Great?

There no deny it, this forum is generally full of doom and gloom but ultimately we must love this sport to spent our time on here moaning about it. So why? What is it that makes you keep coming back?

For me it's the rawness of it all. It's just simple. 4 riders, 4 laps, drop the clutch and boom.
The smell
The amateurism is weirdly also quite endearing at times, if damn annoying at others.
Watching a rider inches from serious injury pulling off a pass scraping between fences and other riders. No other sport has just fine tollerances between genius and death.

But mostly, the fans. The whole social aspect of the sport. Through speedway I have made some damn good friends and worryingly a lot of them Poole fans! I spent more of Cardiff weekend in the company of Poole fans for the second year running and this weekend at the 4TT I was with Poole fans. It just wouldn't happen in any other sport would it where two clubs with such a strong rivalry would spend the weekend together. And there was the nice Leicester fan who lent me a phonebank to charge my phone on the camp site, a Leicester fan helping a Coventry fan? Madness in any other sport.

So come on, why is the sport so great in your opinion?

Edited by SCB

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Too add as a parent it's a great family sport, can bring them along (free at Brandon) knowing there won't be trouble and it's an easy sport for young children to engage in, they just pick a helmet colour each race. All 3 of mine absolutely love the sport, every motorbike they ever see is Bomber.

Was brought up with it, quite a few family members used to go although all have since been lost to the sport, and quite literally I got dragged along with them to play in the dirt as a small kid.

Have no idea what it is that's captivated me for 40 years, the smell, the noise, the travel, the danger of it all? Probably a combination of it all, along with the supporters who follow the sport, who generally are the best fans of any sport I've come across.

Still love it despite it being years now since I've had a team to support, and that's the only downer. I just couldn't get behind another team like I did my Racers.

I enjoy and like loads of things that seemingly irk loads of people, must be in my nature to be a nark.

The tactical nature of the sport that runs right through it from track, to programme to team structure. I enjoy the team building aspect of the sport, seeing sides structured and built over the course of winter and how it plays out on track.

I like things like variety, 4s, Pairs, Individual, Team Meetings. I also oddly enough enjoy things like tactical rides, guests and even on occasion R/R and seeing how sides and managers negate different situations.

Always felt these are things that could have been pushed as USP’s for the sport in a geeky tactical war games style.

The fact there is such a wide and varied range of tracks and surfaces to test riders abilities and team attributes.

Always felt these sort of things pulled together would have made for a strong computer game which could have helped with the sports image in the way other sports seemed to kick on and find new audiences on the back of decent computer games. Albeit in reality they probably would have only appealed to a niche audience….an audience of speedway fans.

• Like 1

That's a good point actually. I love team building, tactics and then rules. And you're right, I think it something that could be sold more to "geeks", when I've explained the points limit to people I worked with (I work in IT so many geeks!) Theyve generally loved the idea of a points limit.

Edited by SCB

In addition to the valid points mentioned in the other posts, no team ever goes to an away meeting hoping to come away with a 0-0 draw!

I enjoy and like loads of things that seemingly irk loads of people, must be in my nature to be a nark.

The tactical nature of the sport that runs right through it from track, to programme to team structure. I enjoy the team building aspect of the sport, seeing sides structured and built over the course of winter and how it plays out on track.

I like things like variety, 4s, Pairs, Individual, Team Meetings. I also oddly enough enjoy things like tactical rides, guests and even on occasion R/R and seeing how sides and managers negate different situations.

Always felt these are things that could have been pushed as USP’s for the sport in a geeky tactical war games style.

The fact there is such a wide and varied range of tracks and surfaces to test riders abilities and team attributes.

Always felt these sort of things pulled together would have made for a strong computer game which could have helped with the sports image in the way other sports seemed to kick on and find new audiences on the back of decent computer games. Albeit in reality they probably would have only appealed to a niche audience….an audience of speedway fans.

That's a good point actually. I love team building, tactics and then rules. And you're right, I think it something that could be sold more to "geeks", when I've explained the points limit to people I worked with (I work in IT so many feels!) Theyve generally loved the idea of a points limit.

I'm with you guys:

• I hate the rules but can't help when something crops up I love looking it up
  • I hate the current EL format but love talking about it
  • I hate the way the sport is run but love keeps me coming back
  • I hate the way my club is run but the love it too

It's a fully blown love hate relationship.

Speedway, 1 in a million :wub:

Was brought up with it, quite a few family members used to go although all have since been lost to the sport, and quite literally I got dragged along with them to play in the dirt as a small kid.

Have no idea what it is that's captivated me for 40 years, the smell, the noise, the travel, the danger of it all? Probably a combination of it all, along with the supporters who follow the sport, who generally are the best fans of any sport I've come across.

Still love it despite it being years now since I've had a team to support, and that's the only downer. I just couldn't get behind another team like I did my Racers.

The same for me with West Ham. I never supported a team or attended league meetings once the mighty Hammers were gone.

There are so many different dimensions to it, it's impossible to list them all . Apart from the obvious things we all agree on, like the track action, one of the things I really like is that off track nearly all the riders are really nice easy to talk to guys. I chat to Andreas Jonsson most meetings it amazes me that here is one of the top 10 men in the world in this sport and he just chats with no airs and graces, no big head, just an ordinary bloke, and it's not just him, Doyley, Holder, Bomber , Hans, and most of the others are all really nice ordinary guys. I can't think of any other sport where those at the top of the tree are so ordinary and not full of themselves. There are a very few rough diamonds but as a group I think speedway riders are the best of any sport by far.

• Like 2

For me it's the racing, there is nothing better than a great speedway race especially if it's between your own team members or your favourite rider. Away wins give ya a great feeling of success and pride.

My club is most important and all those riders who have raced for the Stars over the years, with an exception or two

The friendly rivallry between the fans.

And just recently I have experienced the enthusiasm of young kids, sooooo great to see and hear their excitement as mascots for the Stars

Love the styles of the riders, some are so good to watch, just going as fast as poss round the tracks 😍

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

For me it's everything , always has been always will , no other sport even comes remotely close , the noise of a speedway bike is a pure music to me , I have done pretty much everything in this sport and it has broke my heart a few times , broke bones a few times and wiped my bank balance too many times but it has been worth it and although it winds me up now and again I love it as much as ever and really couldn't imagine life without it

• Like 5

Everything IMO

The togetherness of a side, the action on the track, the commitment of the fans as they can travel 4-5 hours across the UK for the meeting to be called off, but don't matter will do it again.

Speedway isn't far off being in a good place, yes there's a few things that need changing but isn't that the same for every sport?

• Like 1

Speedway has been a huge part of my life,my childhood years with my regular speedway jaunts were great fun.I still love the sport and last year when i had the pleasure of seeing Darcy ride for us it was like going back to the Leigh years watching a class act everyweek.I have been lucky in that respect with the Robins having riders such as Briggo,Broady,Crash,Kilb,Crumpie,Autrey,and of course Leigh with Doyley now tearing it up.My wish is for the sport to prosper and move forward in my lifetime,the potential is there will it happen i have my doubts.SCB as you are the stats man and know the rulebook inside out what rules would you change to better the product.?My two main wishes nothing major i would like to have a Brit in the top 5 of every side (ie) Garrity,Auty,Lawson,Bridger,Newman,Wright,Kerr,Starke.And the second one is only one draft rider at reserve with the top 5 changing Monthly.Speedway has been good for me spent quality time with my Dad/uncle there then later on took both of my lads there regularly as well i would not change a thing.

Some interesting points being made in this thread...one that stands out for me, is the type of person that follows Speedway.

It's definitely unique.

As someone who has followed speedway for 40 years, you get used to it and it goes over your head.

Having taken people recently, that are new to the sport, and had watched it through fresh new eyes, it was interesting to hear their comments.

Some of the best...'It's like watching racing surrounded by Train spotters'....'WTF are they wearing?'

Filling in programmes was also noticed. A friend laughed and said after each race, it was like watching a group of Japanese or pigeons all bowing their head in unison looking at their programmes. lol

Their is definitely a 'Geek' element about it.

How many people who watch actually ride bikes or are interested in bikes...I'd guess a small minority.

Most other sports have some form of connection between the sport and fan base. Speedway seems different in that respect.

I go...I think...because it brings back good memories from the past, and I'm used to it.

If I was a promotor, I think I'd struggle to attract new fans....or where to tap into.

It's not for the 'biker' types....even though a great majority of general public think it is....and it's not really for the general sporting public, like Rugby, cricket or football...exceptions to that rule I know, including myself.

One thing...the people...salt of the earth types, who would do anything for you. Generally lovely people...although you wouldn't believe it after reading the 'Tai thread'.

For me...I have the fondest memories from Speedway before the mid 90's. I loved it, it was my passion. After that, it's been an intermittent love affair.

This season I have embraced the changes...it is what it is. You still get good racing from brave talented lads...it's still a thrill to watch. It's just best to ignore all the crap, rules and regs etc. I find they make me feel despondent and less likely to go...as do rain offs.

Fantastic sport though...that has a family feel, but run more like a circus.

• Like 2

I love the anoraks covered in sew on patches, old people sat on fold up chairs with their flasks, the silky smooth voice of Craig Saul, wide open spaces on the terraces, 1970's music on the tannoy, track shop lucky bags, challenge matches against made up teams, the mushy peas at the Rye Fish Bar (but not the cutlery), trophies named after a motorway, but what I love most of all is being part of a family...the speedway family.

• Like 4