British Speedway Forum
CookieIpswich

British Speedway As A Brand....

We must get back to running British Speedway for those riders committed 100% to riding over here

If they are GP or SEC riders, Polish riders totally controlled by their home clubs and federation, etc etc, then we say thanks, but no thanks, to them

Then get back to running one big British League, with a KO Cup competition, regional competitions*, a British League Riders championship with qualifying rounds - all to give the riders sufficient track time without having to resort to doubling up/down and the problems that has caused

* We used to have Midland Riders Championships - there were Southern and Northern too

In addition there should be a "2nd Division" for up and coming Brits - no foreigners - like the current NL should be

Oh, and get back to 13 heats on the old formula, tac subs when six down, and meaningful second halves to include juniors

I wish!!!!!

And no playoffs - top of league wins it

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 3

I can't disagree with that.

But crucially it's demise has been caused directy by the Grand Prix Series.

Those who can't see that must be blind.

The Grand Prix has been the ruination of British Speedway - and no-one will convince me that I am wrong.

I don't think anyone would try because it's true. The G.P's will continue though.

• Like 1

I can't disagree with that.

But crucially it's demise has been caused directy by the Grand Prix Series.

Those who can't see that must be blind.

The Grand Prix has been the ruination of British Speedway - and no-one will convince me that I am wrong.

Why has the GP's been the ruination of British Speedway, but, crucially only British Speedway? Why hasn't it ruined Polish Speedway, Swedish Speedway......?

Are we using that as a cop out?

Maybe it proves that when the GP's came into being, Poland, Sweden Etc adapted, improved, learned, modified, protected their leagues, strengthened their leagues, improved speedways standing in Polish sports CV, but also, put into place strict regulations into their riders contracts, so they had to put their Countries Speedway commitments first, always first, everything and every other leagues last..

Meanwhile, here in Team GB land, we did the opposite! Reduced the number of speedway meetings, reduced the team strengths, built teams to the lowest denominator, allowed foreign riders to treat GB speedway as training sessions with little or no commitment, allowed them to miss meetings at a whim, with little or no retribution, whilst crowds dwindled, because their teams riders, were now mostly mercenaric, flit in, ride poorly, flit out with bundles of British Speedways money! Crowds dwindled further, sides rebuilt to even lower standard, whilst Poland strengthened... And it just keeps happening, and we bleat the easy cop-out? Yea, it's all the GP's fault..

What next I wonder, oh, I know, we'll reduce the points limit yet again, make it 6, no 5 man teams, that's the way forward, meanwhile, promotors moan when only one man or woman and their dogs turn up to watch!!!!

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 1

We must get back to running British Speedway for those riders committed 100% to riding over here

If they are GP or SEC riders, Polish riders totally controlled by their home clubs and federation, etc etc, then we say thanks, but no thanks, to them

Then get back to running one big British League, with a KO Cup competition, regional competitions*, a British League Riders championship with qualifying rounds - all to give the riders sufficient track time without having to resort to doubling up/down and the problems that has caused

* We used to have Midland Riders Championships - there were Southern and Northern too

In addition there should be a "2nd Division" for up and coming Brits - no foreigners - like the current NL should be

Oh, and get back to 13 heats on the old formula, tac subs when six down, and meaningful second halves to include juniors

I wish!!!!!

Where are all these riders going to come from? Basically you are saying you want the bl to be full of journeyman brits, young brits, or young aussies who want to try to make it before they get fixed up in Poland. So not sure you have enough riders for a decent sized top flight, let alone a second tier of brit riders. I presume all will be part time, as I imagine you are going to get crowds of a few hundred. And no sky deal. And likely no promoters.

Why has the GP's been the ruination of British Speedway, but, crucially only British Speedway? Why hasn't it ruined Polish Speedway, Swedish Speedway......?

Quite simply because they always rode on Tuesday and Sundays, and rode far fewer meetings anyway because their cost structures are different to those in Britain. The most successful British tracks were Saturday tracks (e.g. Coventry) who were badly affected by the fixture disruption.

Britain handled the SGP situation badly, but it also had an inherent structure that wasn't easy to change. And of course, the top riders were still happy to ride in Britain whilst the money was there - only later suddenly finding that there were 'too many meetings on the wrong days' etc.. etc..

And I'm not convinced that Poland and Sweden aren't ruined either. Their leagues are nothing like as successful as there were.

• Like 2

Quite simply because they always rode on Tuesday and Sundays, and rode far fewer meetings anyway because their cost structures are different to those in Britain. The most successful British tracks were Saturday tracks (e.g. Coventry) who were badly affected by the fixture disruption.

Britain handled the SGP situation badly, but it also had an inherent structure that wasn't easy to change. And of course, the top riders were still happy to ride in Britain whilst the money was there - only later suddenly finding that there were 'too many meetings on the wrong days' etc.. etc..

And I'm not convinced that Poland and Sweden aren't ruined either. Their leagues are nothing like as successful as there were.

Well said Humphrey. I agree with you 100% on this one.

I wish!!!!!

Sounds great, except it's proven not to work! Speedway was in decline when these things were in place, crowds were much better than now but in my opinion just carrying on would have seen a continued decline to much the same place.

KO Cup, national qualifiers, regional championships all disappeared because they didn't pay, not enough people wanted to watch them.

The GP has caused problems within British Speedway but I'm far from convinced they have been more than slightly detrimental. At the moment they are one of the only things in Speedway actually working (depending on your definition of success admittedly). Impossible to know but it seems likely that more people have visited Speedway after watching the GP's than after watching the league meetings.

Although I did speak to somebody only this morning who enjoyed the multi meeting coverage so much the other night that he is going to live Speedway for the first time in 30 years, therefore proving that like everybody else I'm only guessing! Luckily if I get it wrong it costs me nothing unlike the much maligned promoters.

Hence why all the leagues would benefit from any revenue gained from a GP series rather than it going to the likes of BSI ...

• Like 1

Where are all these riders going to come from? Basically you are saying you want the bl to be full of journeyman brits, young brits, or young aussies who want to try to make it before they get fixed up in Poland. So not sure you have enough riders for a decent sized top flight, let alone a second tier of brit riders. I presume all will be part time, as I imagine you are going to get crowds of a few hundred. And no sky deal. And likely no promoters.

OK, then - what's your idea?

Sounds great, except it's proven not to work! Speedway was in decline when these things were in place, crowds were much better than now but in my opinion just carrying on would have seen a continued decline to much the same place.

KO Cup, national qualifiers, regional championships all disappeared because they didn't pay, not enough people wanted to watch them.

The GP has caused problems within British Speedway but I'm far from convinced they have been more than slightly detrimental. At the moment they are one of the only things in Speedway actually working (depending on your definition of success admittedly). Impossible to know but it seems likely that more people have visited Speedway after watching the GP's than after watching the league meetings.

Although I did speak to somebody only this morning who enjoyed the multi meeting coverage so much the other night that he is going to live Speedway for the first time in 30 years, therefore proving that like everybody else I'm only guessing! Luckily if I get it wrong it costs me nothing unlike the much maligned promoters.

OK, then - what's your idea?

Perhaps it is time to make a shorter season of entirely league matches. Is there really an appetite for the side-of-the-plate meetings any more, four team events, pairs and challenge match fillers? The British season could perhaps mean more if it were trimmed a little. Less is more...

My idea, such as it is was posted on the previous page

Shorter season I'd agree with. Speedway for me as a kid started on good Friday and finished with the world final which was about this time of year. More chance of success with the weather but maybe more difficult to justify to a landlord.

• Like 1

Test Matches, Pairs, Four Team Champs, were all part of the speedway schedule not that long ago, but they aren't important anymore. I think the GPs and even the Word Cup have put British speedway in a position to look at itself and improve its pulling power. Because there is an open date, is it doing more harm than good to plonk in it what is obviously to entice the diehard to part with even more dosh. Personally I'd never miss a match at Belle Vue through the years, whatever name it carried. I don't know if it's just me, but the most important thing now must be league racing. Don't fool the public. Days of endless individual meetings, match race competitions and pointless second-halves served their purpose and we liked them back then, but I think a speedway season is best served with important fixtures only, just league fixtures. A British speedway season is like one of those Best Of albums by a pop singer... a lot of good stuff we like, but some that just dilute the product, as fillers. Let's just have the best stuff.

Edited by moxey63

So to sum it up ..fans who are in there 60's want no play offs no Gp's, no double points and want 13 heats ... the rules of 20 years ..what a shock

So to sum it up ..fans who are in there 60's want no play offs no Gp's, no double points and want 13 heats ... the rules of 20 years ..what a shock

Yep, the good old days - when being a speedway fan was a pleasure

Organised by the men like Greene, Ochiltree, etc etc, overseen by a proper Control Board and the ACU

And when the new breed of entrepreneurs went "black" common sense prevailed and the two sides came together, to form the British League - and what a joy it was

Big decisions were made then - they need to be made now, or else it's over

• Like 1

Yep, the good old days - when being a speedway fan was a pleasure

Organised by the men like Greene, Ochiltree, etc etc, overseen by a proper Control Board and the ACU

And when the new breed of entrepreneurs went "black" common sense prevailed and the two sides came together, to form the British League - and what a joy it was

Big decisions were made then - they need to be made now, or else it's over

Time has moved on ..going back to old ways won't make speedway great again ....it's like bringing back old shows like are you being served and thinking that 14 millions viewers are still going to watch it .

• Like 2