British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Belle Vue V King's Lynn Wed 24th Aug

What difference does it make what size the crowd is ? ... What is this obsession in the Elite League of the size of other clubs crowds... I have been following speedway 37 year now and prob seen over 1500 meetings live and not once have I went to see how big the crowd was.... nor will I have any intention of doing so in the future ... I go to watch 4 riders race and it makes no difference whether it's in front of 10, 100, 1000 or 10,000 I don't go to watch the fans..... Nearly every meeting on sky has someone commenting on here about the size of the crowd!!! Why?? What difference does it make to non fans of that home club?

Edited by KEITH M

Maybe crowds are down due to the shambles Elite League speedway is now.Nearly every match has riders missing some for no other reason that they can't be bothered.Jonsson upset stomach Zagar neck burn Iverson too busy ,the list is endless.Then we get complete miss matches like Poole last night not exactly riveting entertainment is it.The racing at the NSS has been great this year but to get the crowd level up the overall product needs sorting out.The play offs are going to be decided by which club can sign riders for maybe 2 matches another farce which is why speedway isn't taken seriously imo

• Like 5

When a clubs comes up for sale any current promoter would make a financial decision on the likelyhood to make a success out of it. Fords assessment of his own ability to run Belle Vue successfully is indicated by the fact he didn't jump at this diamond in the big city and stuck with his seaside town club.

There were numerous issues at the velodrome during its infancy.

The Glasgow promotion are an embodiment of the phrase, if you want to make a million in (speedway) start with two million.

When a clubs comes up for sale any current promoter would make a financial decision on the likelyhood to make a success out of it. Fords assessment of his own ability to run Belle Vue successfully is indicated by the fact he didn't jump at this diamond in the big city and stuck with his seaside town club.

There were numerous issues at the velodrome during its infancy.

The Glasgow promotion are an embodiment of the phrase, if you want to make a million in (speedway) start with two million.

Were there?

Remind me what they were.

The velodrome has always been well promoted and well-utilized.

The Revolution series started there and packed the place out from the outset.

The place is in use 7 days a week from morning till all hours.

I've ridden there at 10 o'clock at night!

And most importantly, nobody has stopped me taking in my own butties!

:t:

A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours

• Like 2

"Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines".

May your passage be peaceful my friend.

"Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines".

May your passage be peaceful my friend.

Been having a few drinks with the butcher's daughter?

:drink:

Paint a Vulgar Picture

Maybe crowds are down due to the shambles Elite League speedway is now.Nearly every match has riders missing some for no other reason that they can't be bothered.Jonsson upset stomach Zagar neck burn Iverson too busy ,the list is endless.Then we get complete miss matches like Poole last night not exactly riveting entertainment is it.The racing at the NSS has been great this year but to get the crowd level up the overall product needs sorting out.The play offs are going to be decided by which club can sign riders for maybe 2 matches another farce which is why speedway isn't taken seriously imo

What clubs are signing riders for only two matches ? there is set date when your not allowed to replaced any riders .. what clubs and riders are these ?

Even on a speedway forum, United fans obsession with Citys crowds raises its ugly head ,,,,, ah well , i will be in attendance at both the Etihad stadium and the NSS , supporting both my local sports teams :lol:

Edited by WestGorton1884

I've said many times on here that i am no fan of our current promotion and in truth I never have been. I know some will say "without them we wouldn't be going now" and to that extent that is a true statement and Yes, they did also deliver the stadium that promised. But when looking back over the past 9 seasons they have been in charge it has been an extremely poor 9 years that they have been running the club. Up until this season, people i work with or know me thought the club had disappeared and i had to tell them differently and say we have just moved a brand new stadium. At the fans forum earlier this season we was told we would be getting some track covers (that is a subject for another day or previous topics on here) and that they were looking to bring new fans to the club and get some youngsters watching and involve social media to drum up interest. Now, that was back in April and I haven't seen anything that has remotely tried to get younger fans to come and watch the side at all since and has been a case of just telling fans of the Next Aces/Colts and Carvery options available in the Stadium. If you compare the social media aspect to the Manchester Storm Ice Hockey team and another minority sport in this country, the new Storm side have been around since June 2015 and since April 2009 when Belle Vue first joined twitter, they have 4,803 followers on twitter. Meanwhile the Storm have 12.4K in just over a year and that is done through great communicate and involving fans of the side. Manchester were recently praised as well as one of the best Social Media clubs in the Elite League by the league its self and also rival club. So you see the difference between the two minority sports, one is run with fans in mind and is constantly updating fans while one doesn't and fans have to use the Aces Fans forum for meeting being called off or any news that breaks and makes the official side of the Aces looks unprofessional compared to other sides in the league.

That said and a valid raised by certain Belle Vue posters on here on about the North West being arguably 'the Sporting Capital of the UK' with many Rugby, Basketball, Ice hockey, Cricket and of course Football with City, United and Liverpool being 3 of the biggest teams in the area, along with the rest of our local North West sides too, and when you take in to account that fans travel to the NSS from Blackpool, Liverpool, and sometimes as far away as the South coast too it can have a drawn back. One thing that does grate with me and WestGorton1884 has brought it up recently, is the pointless bickering of United and City fans sniping at each other on the Aces forum and on here too when it comes to the speedway. The other night City played in Euro and the main road (no pun intended) to get to the stadium is using Hyde Road and so traffic would be heavy and is a valid point. However there has been occassions when England play in tournaments and the club have chose to call the meeting off as this may affect attendences and so they would restage it, but with it being a local team and about 2.8 miles away from the NSS they left it and seemed a weird decision. Our forums also tend to have Gordon taking shot at City when 1. Is there any need to always bring them into conversation when the subject doesn't warrant it and is on about Speedway and 2. He should concentrate more about trying bring crowds in and giving the fans the best product on and off the track and less of the snarky comments. I doubt also if this occurs at any other speedway side in the country, as i don't recall hearing CvS or Pete Adams bad mouthing any West Midlands football sides or Glasgow bad mouthing Celtic or Rangers and at a huge push Matt Ford calling all the South Coast sides in or around Poole as surely this would almost alienate fans for me.

I could go on about the failing like the ill-fated meeting against Poole or the PCMT & the cock up of the Swindon meeting, but these incidents have been done to death on here and you read back if you want to see that. For me in the 30 years that I've watched speedway for me the previous two promotions we had have been far better than this one in my own opinion. TM and the late Ian Thomas seemed to have turned the corner for the Aces and woke us out of a slumber and no matter what you thought of the late John Perrin, he was much in the same mould as this current promotion now for me in the way he kept the team going but under difficult conditions by the GRA but he did things his own way rightly or wrongly. He would stand up for himself and argue his case and not bend to others and signed World Class riders and had on paper some of the best sides in the British league at that time, but his managing ability wasn't always the best and just couldn't get the best out of them. However to end this on a postitve note incase you feel i'm being completely negative, for me the ONLY two things the club have right is the team despite having a blip of late and most of all appointing as team manager Mark Lemon, as Lemo has been a revelation since he took over last season and seen us virtually qualifying for the playoffs in first two seasons with us.