British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

Yeah, I remember his piss poor showing at Stoke which cost us the league. Prick!!! I don't think I have even seen a rider block his team mates as much as he did that night. I think Mr Illingworth had him pinned against the pit wall at one point. The thing that made it even more annoying was the Sheffield promoter was in the crowd that night stood a couple of feet away from most Diamonds fans. Never liked going to Stoke after that!!! :P

As Bandits4eva is hinting at in post#35, Sheffield were at Berwick on the Saturday night before this Sunday Stoke meeting. The Berwick promoter was thought to have 'got Sheffield to win' at Berwick, hence the reason why Neil Machen came to Stoke as, if we lost at Stoke, Sheffield were the champions. which they were then. Dodgy dealings which is why we still think we were winners on 2002 as it meant Sheffield got the title on actual aggregate race points, not the match points. Aggregate points were stopped shortly afterwards after this Sheffield win, plus the Exeter win later.

Watts attitude and riding at both Exeter and Stoke that year did him no favours with anybody.

• Like 1

As Bandits4eva is hinting at in post#35, Sheffield were at Berwick on the Saturday night before this Sunday Stoke meeting. The Berwick promoter was thought to have 'got Sheffield to win' at Berwick, hence the reason why Neil Machen came to Stoke as, if we lost at Stoke, Sheffield were the champions. which they were then. Dodgy dealings which is why we still think we were winners on 2002 as it meant Sheffield got the title on actual aggregate race points, not the match points. Aggregate points were stopped shortly afterwards after this Sheffield win, plus the Exeter win later.

Watts attitude and riding at both Exeter and Stoke that year did him no favours with anybody.

Or, as a certain person calls him "Davey Who?" :wink:

Wouldn't Lambert get a 2.5% reduction for being in the PL for less than 3 years or something? So his average would be 8.09? Or am I wrong?

IMO the PL needs to promote riders from NL route don't get caught up in paying riders trying to prolong their career and supplement their earnings .The crowds don't justify it IMO .Pay young riders a realistic pay rate the entertainment will be as good if not better.At least they will be avialable for meetings not riding abroad.

I think this is one of the best posts I've read on this forum.

Absolutely spot on :)

• Like 1

I was at Exeter that night as I was on holiday down south. Davey Watt didn't put any effort in (not sure if he actually finished a race) but the whole team were awful. From memory, Dickie Juul won heat 2 but just about every other race was a 5-1. I think even KB had a nightmare.

Davey Watt actually rode very well in the majority of meetings that year yet he only seems to be remembered for Exeter and Stoke away.

Davey Watt actually rode very well in the majority of meetings that year yet he only seems to be remembered for Exeter and Stoke away.

Aye because he was absolute garbage and cost us the league title. Kenny Carter was a brilliant rider who used to ride very well in the majority of meetings but he only seems to be remembered for shooting his wife and killing himself
  • Like 4

Aye because he was absolute garbage and cost us the league title. Kenny Carter was a brilliant rider who used to ride very well in the majority of meetings but he only seems to be remembered for shooting his wife and killing himself

That's a bit extreme o.o Comparing two bad meetings to killing your wife and then yourself

It's a bit harsh to say he was entirely to blame for us not winning the league though. Had he not ridden so well in the majority of the other meetings we probably wouldn't have been in contention anyway. I did a few away meetings that season and can remember him top scoring at Glasgow in a narrow defeat and also riding well at Edinburgh in an away win.

• Like 2

I remember 'King Kenny' for his tenacity, riding with a broken leg, and epic battles with Bruce 'Pin-up', usually came out 2nd, but gave it his best,,,

its a bit like 'Vienna' being kept off no.1 by Joe Dolce :(,,, oh and remember him for what happened in the end, that was probly something to do with Bruce aswell ;)

Ah shut up with your face lol

• Like 1

It's a bit harsh to say he was entirely to blame for us not winning the league though. Had he not ridden so well in the majority of the other meetings we probably wouldn't have been in contention anyway. I did a few away meetings that season and can remember him top scoring at Glasgow in a narrow defeat and also riding well at Edinburgh in an away win.

Nothing will change my mind, will always blame him for us not winning the league. It's like Italia 90 Stuart Pearce and Chris Waddle might have had brilliant games leading up to the semi final but I will always blame them for England not reaching the final
  • Like 1

Nothing will change my mind, will always blame him for us not winning the league. It's like Italia 90 Stuart Pearce and Chris Waddle might have had brilliant games leading up to the semi final but I will always blame them for England not reaching the final

a think it was Gazza's fault for crying ;)

a think it was Gazza's fault for crying ;)

I was surprised it went ahead. Thought it would have been postponed cos of the wet pitch.

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me at all of Robert moved on next year, good luck to him

• Like 2