British Speedway Forum

Did they have t!ts on page 3 like the sun had back in the day? ;)

Edited by refereerick
  • Like 1

The same John Hyam used to write for a Finnish magazine Moottoriurheilu as well, sometime between 1950-1960.

The same John Hyam used to write for a Finnish magazine Moottoriurheilu as well, sometime between 1950-1960.

Besides the Finnish speedway magazine Moottoriurheilu, over the years I have also written for two Swedish publications, two German publications, an American speedway magazine, two Australian speedway magazines, a Polish speedway magazine, a New Zealand speedway magazine, as well as various British speedway publications.

Now TBH I just wonder why I was so dedicated to speedway. :unsure:

EVER since I joined this forum, initially to put right some misinformation being peddled about the actual ownership of Speedway Star, I have willing accepted criticism of the magazine. Everyone has a right to criticise although on occasions I do wonder whether those doing so have actually read or seen SS for sometime.

It irks me when people on the bsf say we are in hoc to the BSPA or simply cut and paste press realises. Neither is true.

But what particular disappoints is when people, as one did recently, call Speedway Star "crap."

That is more often than not balanced by others, including members of the general media, who are amazed how we manage to put together such a good weekly publication for such a small audience and with limited resources.

I am no longer involved with the day-to-day running of the mag and nor with its content but I am very proud of those who are.

This week for example SS includes:

POOLE may have been the all-conquering team of the Elite League era, but it wasn’t always so. In the first 46 years of the Pirates’ existence, they managed only one league title triumph – back in the formative years of the British League in 1969. In this week’s Speedway Star, we track down the surviving members of that Poole side in a fascinating seven-page feature. Returning to more modern times, we also talk to up-and-coming teenager Kyle Bickley about a big year ahead for the Cumbrian kid, plus interviews with the retiring Simon Stead and Jake Knight, new Plymouth promoters Laurence Rogers and Mark Phillips talk about their plans for the Devils, and for Scunthorpe supporters, it’s their side’s 2016 track review, which doesn’t always make the happiest of reading for Scorpions fans!

Cut and paste? I think not.

​Sorry Philip, that statement is totally incorrect!

The first 46 years, 1948-1994...

1951 Div3 Champions

1952 Div2 Champions

1955 National League Champions

1961 Provincial League Champions

1962 Provincial League Champions

1969 BL Div1 Champions

1989 NL Champions

1990 NL Champions

1994 BL Div1 Champions

Only one ever League title in 46 years?

Time to check with Tony Mac, me thinks! :wink:

Is this your actual response highlighted in red to PHILIPRISING BobC.? As things stand (IMO anyway!) it tends to look like a quote from PHILIPRISING!

Sorry Philip, that statement is totally incorrect!

The first 46 years, 1948-1994...

1951 Div3 Champions

1952 Div2 Champions

1955 National League Champions

1961 Provincial League Champions

1962 Provincial League Champions

1969 BL Div1 Champions

1989 NL Champions

1990 NL Champions

1994 BL Div1 Champions

Only one ever League title in 46 years?

Time to check with Tony Mac, me thinks! :wink:

Edited by Guest

Besides the Finnish speedway magazine Moottoriurheilu, over the years I have also written for two Swedish publications, two German publications, an American speedway magazine, two Australian speedway magazines, a Polish speedway magazine, a New Zealand speedway magazine, as well as various British speedway publications.

Is this your actual response highlighted in red to PHILIPRISING BobC.? As things stand (IMO anyway!) it tends to look like a quote from PHILIPRISING!

Because you loved it and wanted it to live long and prosper?

Much like we (as in other people) do now.

Because you loved it and wanted it to live long and prosper?

Much like we (as in other people) do now.

That's a fair comment f-s-p but remember in my years I saw the post-war emergence (from April 1946 for me) to a major sport, then what has happened in subsequent years, more so over say the past 15 years, to what we have now. When I make this comment perhaps you can see why I am starting to wonder if they were not all wasted years and I could have dedicated myself to something more worthwhile?

Then again, I suppose it's also a matter of getting old and contemplating good and bad things that have happened in speedway. And perhaps concluding there are now far more bad than good things that have - and still are - happening in the sport?

But enough of my thoughts and let's get back to the OP from PHILIPRISING -:

EVER since I joined this forum, initially to put right some misinformation being peddled about the actual ownership of Speedway Star, I have willing accepted criticism of the magazine. Everyone has a right to criticise although on occasions I do wonder whether those doing so have actually read or seen SS for sometime.

It irks me when people on the bsf say we are in hoc to the BSPA or simply cut and paste press realises. Neither is true.

But what particular disappoints is when people, as one did recently, call Speedway Star "crap."

That is more often than not balanced by others, including members of the general media, who are amazed how we manage to put together such a good weekly publication for such a small audience and with limited resources.

I am no longer involved with the day-to-day running of the mag and nor with its content but I am very proud of those who are.

POOLE may have been the all-conquering team of the Elite League era, but it wasn’t always so. In the first 46 years of the Pirates’ existence, they managed only one league title triumph – back in the formative years of the British League in 1969. In this week’s Speedway Star, we track down the surviving members of that Poole side in a fascinating seven-page feature. Returning to more modern times, we also talk to up-and-coming teenager Kyle Bickley about a big year ahead for the Cumbrian kid, plus interviews with the retiring Simon Stead and Jake Knight, new Plymouth promoters Laurence Rogers and Mark Phillips talk about their plans for the Devils, and for Scunthorpe supporters, it’s their side’s 2016 track review, which doesn’t always make the happiest of reading for Scorpions fans!

Edited by Guest

I wonder PHILIPRISING do any of these early days 'Speedway Star' memories ring a bell with you?

(1) Viaduct.

(2) Bill Holt.

(3) The lunchtime train from Marylebone.

(4) Carlton Press at Chesham.

(5) Blocks.

(6) Counting the returns.

(7) Collecting Eric Linden's weekly article from TV Times.

(8) Bob and Charles "in heated conference"!!

(9) Table football league. I think Martin was the overall champion!

(10) Someone in the office running near full-time management of Radfield FC.

Edited by Guest

I wonder PHILIPRISING do any of these early days 'Speedway Star' memories ring a bell with you?

(1) Viaduct.

(2) Bill Holt.

(3) The lunchtime train from Marylebone.

(4) Carlton Press at Chesham.

(5) Blocks.

(6) Counting the returns.

(7) Collecting Eric Linden's weekly article from TV Times.

(8) Bob and Charles "in heated conference"!!

(9) Table football league. I think Martin was the overall champion!

(10) Someone in the office running near full-time management of Radfield FC.

ALL of the above :neutral:

Speedway should be very proud of the speedway star for me it has stood the test of time.Phillip for me you should put it up to 3 pound an edition most of us who buy it would not moan i am sure of that.Out of interest does that bumper edition for the new season cost alot more to produce? i look forward to every new seasons bumper edition a brilliant read great value.

• Like 3

THE bumper edition costs almost three times as much as a normal edition to produce when you include additional postal charges for subs, etc/

• Like 1

Even though some of the journalism can occasionally be heavily biased, with Hancock's race throwing disgrace as a prime example, the Star is a first rate magazine for a very good price. I always buy a copy when at a track.

• Like 2

Who's the John Hyam mentioned on Page 3?

The person you refer to was the successor to Eric Linden about mid-1956 and held the Editor's post at 'Speedway Star' until he went on to be Group Sports Editor of a weekly newspaper series in Middlesex in early 1962. Eric Linden left the 'Speedway Star' to join 'TV Times' but continued as a much-respected contributor to the Star for many years.

As whooshes go, that's a big one. Very appropriate you posted a link though.

Yes, one becomes FORMER when leaving one job (in this case after nearly seven years) and moving to another job elsewhere.

Edited by Guest

This was meant to be a thread about the current Speedway Star,not another look at me thread,John.Surely you have had enough of them by now? :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 4

This was meant to be a thread about the current Speedway Star,not another look at me thread,John.Surely you have had enough of them by now? :icon_smile_clown:

Better he's occupied on here rather than sprawling his 'self publications' all over the BSF.

• Like 1

Better he's occupied on here rather than sprawling his 'self publications' all over the BSF.

In a way i sort of agree,but this is a serious debate on a fairly important topic.Not something that some imbecile should try and spoil by putting the spotlight on himself and the 1950s.We have seen it all umpteen times before anyway.He has his own forums to play silly buggers on if he is bored

It was seeing Bahnsport Aktuell in a shop at a train station that rekindled my interest in the sport,so having a decent magazine out there for people to have a glance at is definitely a help in attracting old and new supporters

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

In a way i sort of agree,but this is a serious debate on a fairly important topic.Not something that some imbecile should try and spoil by putting the spotlight on himself and the 1950s.We have seen it all umpteen times before anyway.He has his own forums to play silly buggers on if he is bored

It was seeing Bahnsport Aktuell in a shop at a train station that rekindled my interest in the sport,so having a decent magazine out there for people to have a glance at is definitely a help in attracting old and new supporters

It was interesting to see the German speedway publication Bahnsport Aktuell get a mention. It's a German publications I was associated with in the 1980s. Its editor is an old speedway friend Christian Kalabis.

Edited by Guest