British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Bspa Chairman - Keith Chapman

I have been pretty vocal on how he neglected his own club last season but changes have been made to fix that.

KC always kept saying judge him on 2017 as it's when he gets his hands fully on the job.

Credit where it's due, no previous chairman has put so much effort in trying to save clubs even plunging his own money into keeping Leicester alive clearing debts.

There will be haters but Keith Chapman absolute deserves praise for his dealings over this closed season

Yes he has done a good job but are you sure it was his money that paid the debts and Not the bspa who paid them ?

Yes he has done a good job but are you sure it was his money that paid the debts and Not the bspa who paid them ?

If you watched the Facebook videos he said it was his own money, nothing to do with the BSPA

If you watched the Facebook videos he said it was his own money, nothing to do with the BSPA

My understanding is that if riders are owed money by clubs the bspa are responsible to pay them and I thought that is what happened at Leicester.

Last season having attended the much vaunted opening of the NSS as Belle Vue and the resulting farce i emailed the BSPA among others to express my displeasure. Much to my suprise I got a reply from Buster Chapman who asked for my phone number and rung me up. We spoke for some time and a most interesting conversation. How many others would take that trouble and be so open? Seems a decent bloke with the interest of the sport at heart

• Like 7

My understanding is that if riders are owed money by clubs the bspa are responsible to pay them and I thought that is what happened at Leicester.

The BSPA don't pay all outstanding monies, they do however pay some.

• Like 1

I would expect the situation to have been resolved during the lease agreement

I will pay you £xxxxx for a 15 year lease but £xxxxx will be deducted to pay outstanding debts + the BSPA fine waivered.

Hence Bates was only willing to buy the promotion rights when all debts are cleared

• Like 2

While Coventry and Leicester fans must see chapman as some sort of messiah after the fantastic work he appears to have done to save those teams, his decision to remove the Belle Vue licence was seen, at least as far as the council was concerned, as someone blundering in without a plan. The Belle Vue promotion had a dim view of Chapman going back well before his comments after the opening night, neither side welcomed Chapman's intervention.

To say it completely wrong footed the council is an understatement, they were speaking to the previous promotion and fully expected to reach an agreement, they were and still are desperate to make sure what happened last season is kept well and truly covered up. To that end an offer had already been put forward of compensation which was likely to have been accepted.

The fact we still don't have a named promoter or team with only a matter of weeks before the new season starts is testament to Chapman's input in 'saving' Belle Vue.0

Have you a team in waiting ? YES

Has there been promoters interested in taking control of BV ? YES

Does Buster select the chosen promoter ? NO

Is MCC currently making that selection before it can be announced ? YES.

Has Buster been available and assisted with the process ? YES.

• Like 4

Buster usually spends his winter "pouring concrete" at his King's Lynn track. I bet this winter his work has turned out a lot harder than what he usually does. As he said in the Speedway Star, he is hoping to get his hands dirty and rough again from manual work.

Let us hope so and the chairman can have a "quiet life". I doubt it will be so but Mr Chapman certainly deserves praise for what he has done these last few months.