British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

Disagree. There will still be continental riders to challenge the young Brits.

may not be after brexit though ?

may not be after brexit though ?

Why not ? Brexit could take 3 years + to complete.

I don't see the problem. If a young Aussie football player joins a team in the Netherlands and progresses well, he is going to join a Premier League team who will pay him about five times what he was earning in the Netherlands. Nobody cares that it was the Dutch team that give him his chance. Can't blame the riders for going where the money is.

I don't see the problem. If a young Aussie football player joins a team in the Netherlands and progresses well, he is going to join a Premier League team who will pay him about five times what he was earning in the Netherlands. Nobody cares that it was the Dutch team that give him his chance. Can't blame the riders for going where the money is.

Yes but the Dutch team gets a transfer fee.

• Like 2

Yes but the Dutch team gets a transfer fee.

If he only had a one year contract it would be minimal at best. If we want an Aussie to stay for 5 years then give him a 5 year guaranteed contract. Loyalty is a two way street. If Matt Ford thinks it would make Poole stronger (not picking on Poole, applies to every team) he wouldn't hesitate to drop Brady Kurtz and he would not get paid any more.

If he only had a one year contract it would be minimal at best. If we want an Aussie to stay for 5 years then give him a 5 year guaranteed contract. Loyalty is a two way street. If Matt Ford thinks it would make Poole stronger (not picking on Poole, applies to every team) he wouldn't hesitate to drop Brady Kurtz and he would not get paid any more.

In football I doubt if the big clubs would want him with one years experience, they might sign him and leave him there, in such cases I believe they actually pay a fee to the host club and his wages. That is a chance such as Brady Kurtz would have to take. He could always try his luck in some other country, we owe him nothing.

Edited by foamfence
  • Like 1

Perhaps thats the way to go. British club bring the Aussie over but the contract stipulates that if he wants to ride in Poland/Sweden they have to pay the British club a large yearly loan fee for his services.

Personally it's Brits first for me.

I agree with this. A rider should be contracted to one team, not one team per country. Of course that would need the FIM to grow a pair and stand up to Poland.

• Like 1

I agree with this. A rider should be contracted to one team, not one team per country. Of course that would need the FIM to grow a pair and stand up to Poland.

:lol: Do you honestly think that will happen

:lol: Do you honestly think that will happen

0% chance.

Out of curiosity, how many Aussies have Poole brought on and nurtured? Thyey have signed up any Aussies that have started out in the PL when they have got good enough. So the PL has for years been used as a stepping stone for Poole yet now Poland want to use Poole as a stepping stone it's bad. It's how it works. Learn to ride in Aus, hone skills in the PL, move into the EL where they become the real deal before moving to Poland. Yet it's funny how its only just because an issue because it effects Poole :rofl:

Why not ? Brexit could take 3 years + to complete.

if you read my post i said AFTER brexit

Out of curiosity, how many Aussies have Poole brought on and nurtured? Thyey have signed up any Aussies that have started out in the PL when they have got good enough. So the PL has for years been used as a stepping stone for Poole yet now Poland want to use Poole as a stepping stone it's bad. It's how it works. Learn to ride in Aus, hone skills in the PL, move into the EL where they become the real deal before moving to Poland. Yet it's funny how its only just because an issue because it effects Poole :rofl:

Crump, Adams,Boyce, Holder,Holder,Kurtz plus many more

What a stupid thread !!

Aussies and Anzacs have been in British Speedway since 1928.

Long may they be welcome here in GB.

• Like 8

Crump, Adams,Boyce, Holder,Holder,Kurtz plus many more

Holder, Holder and Kurtz started at Iow, Plymouth and Somerset (& Denmark before that). Crump, Adams and Boyce have retired having between them only missed about 3 season of British Speedway.