British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aroundtheboards

Smerset Rebels V Leicester Lions 23 / 6 / 17

Anybody interested in this match ? Seems not as there was no post as I posted this. I'm not surprised, no Palm Toft, again, we haven't seen him ride since he joined Rebels as a temp replacement for Hougard !!! Hougard will be fit by the time he is able to appear for us instead of Scunny !!! Ah well, I suppose we knew it was going to be tough in the Premiership but I didn't realise that it would be made tougher by having your team decimated week in week out by the Championship and the continent. It's getting time I thought of other things to do on a Friday night !!! I have enjoyed my return to watching speedway for the last three years but my enthusiasm is being tested now ! :(

Edited by Aroundtheboards

my enthusiasm is being tested now ! :(

Welcome to the top league, where often you never know which team will line up from one meeting to the next.

These is a thread started yesterday about this one ;)

• Like 1

As I've posted elsewhere it's becoming pretty obvious the Somerset management realised they couldn't cover Hougaard with RR so signed somebody who would be missing more often than not so then we have a choice of guest. Plus Palm Toft is pretty handy at Poole isn't he who I think we are at fairly shortly?

I've also posted elsewhere about squads being implemented in the Premiership too next season. Double uppers should be able to have the option of sharing one team place so when riders like Kerr for example is riding for his championship side, we could of called on whoever his double up partner would be. This is how it used to be years ago and means you can at least continue an association of our squad, even if it means team must then be 6 riders instead of 7 riders at one time, instead of having a bunch of randomers turning up week on week. It still baffles me why guests are allowed instead of RR being used too.

• Like 3

These is a thread started yesterday about this one ;)

Sorry ! I overlooked it !!! ;) All this changing of the team is now getting to my enthusiasm and the season hasn't appeared to get going yet and we've only got five home matches left after this one !!! I think that's it for me, stuff the Premiership !!! I'll see you at the Pairs !!! :t:

Edited by Aroundtheboards

As I've posted elsewhere it's becoming pretty obvious the Somerset management realised they couldn't cover Hougaard with RR so signed somebody who would be missing more often than not so then we have a choice of guest. Plus Palm Toft is pretty handy at Poole isn't he who I think we are at fairly shortly?

I've also posted elsewhere about squads being implemented in the Premiership too next season. Double uppers should be able to have the option of sharing one team place so when riders like Kerr for example is riding for his championship side, we could of called on whoever his double up partner would be. This is how it used to be years ago and means you can at least continue an association of our squad, even if it means team must then be 6 riders instead of 7 riders at one time, instead of having a bunch of randomers turning up week on week. It still baffles me why guests are allowed instead of RR being used too.

Anybody seen Naijer after last nights dustbowl performance. is there a specsavers in burnham or perhaps travel to taunton... :rofl:

Anybody seen Naijer after last nights dustbowl performance. is there a specsavers in burnham or perhaps travel to taunton... :rofl:

I thought the track was really well prepared last night.

Tbf...When you take into consideration the scorching heat we have had leading up to the meeting, the strong winds across the track, and the forecast of some rain on the night, then I don't think it could have been any better prepared tbh.

The track is generally well watered and well prepared most weeks.

The only people that got covered in dust were those on the back straight because of the prevailing wind.

The racing was excellent, some of the best I've seen all season.

Loving the addition of the new scoreboard as well...easy to keep tabs on the score without reverting to 'pigeon head' ;-)

My only criticism of Somerset Speedway is the quality of presentation.

The guy playing the music, doesn't shut it down when the lad on the mic is making announcements or giving out results...it's often impossible to hear.

This whilst tractor grading is going on makes it nigh on impossible.

You can also guarantee, that any rider or management interview done on the centre green will be done whilst the two mascot lads are riding around or the tractors...again...impossible to hear.

I just switch off now and chat to randoms lol

• Like 2

Nope - I was at Glastonbury so didn't go to the speedway FYI.

Tbf...When you take into consideration the scorching heat we have had leading up to the meeting, the strong winds across the track, and the forecast of some rain on the night, then I don't think it could have been any better prepared tbh.

The only people that got covered in dust were those on the back straight because of the prevailing wind.

Loving the addition of the new scoreboard as well...easy to keep tabs on the score without reverting to 'pigeon head' ;-)

The guy playing the music, doesn't shut it down when the lad on the mic is making announcements or giving out results...it's often impossible to hear.

You can also guarantee, that any rider or management interview done on the centre green will be done whilst the two mascot lads are riding around or the tractors...again...impossible to hear.

Also does anyone proof- read the programme draft for elementary errors such as those that crept in for the last two meetings?

Nope - I was at Glastonbury so didn't go to the speedway FYI.

Oh thats nice to know.

Also does anyone proof- read the programme draft for elementary errors such as those that crept in for the last two meetings?

I stopped buying them tbh, so have missed that.

I stopped buying them tbh, so have missed that.

I am beginning to think that £3 is too much to pay for a programme however looking back to my first visits in 1949 it seems that the cost as a percentage of the admission charge is about the same (20%). Also I was able to recently sell my old programmes which had been stuck in the attic for a vast profit!. This is not going to be possible with anything bought in recent years!.

Edited by Knowle

I am beginning to think that £3 is too much to pay for a programme however looking back to my first visits in 1949 it seems that the cost as a percentage of the admission charge is about the same (20%). Also I was able to recently sell my old programmes which had been stuck in the attic for a vast profit!. This is not going to be possible with anything bought in recent years!.

I stopped buying them, not down to cost, but as a way of watching the Speedway from a different angle.

So many guests, RR's...every rider seemingly riding for the other team, it's become a bit of a joke now.

So I just listen to the announcer as to who's riding, and get submersed in the actual racing, rather than the stats, and filling in of programme. Surprisingly more enjoyable for me now.

Would have thought these problems easy to solve. Someone in authority tell the guy to turn off music, and turn up volume on interviewers mike. Have a word with Debbie.

• Like 1

Would have thought these problems easy to solve. Someone in authority tell the guy to turn off music, and turn up volume on interviewers mike. Have a word with Debbie.

I've never seen her stand still long enough to have a chat...I'm sure she's training for a marathon...never stops running everywhere lol

In all fairness to her, she looks so busy on race nights, she probably doesn't actually get a chance to observe the meeting like a paying spectator.

Maybe some constructive feedback would help...although I never like to be 'that bloke' if you get my drift.

Edited by Gresham