British Speedway Forum
The Observer

Leicester Lions Vs Swindon Robins 17/07/17

For anyone who has not seen them heat 13 and 15 are available on the interthingy from @btsport.

Hope Pawel P and Kyle Newman for Leicester are ok and Batch after being knocked off and replaced in heat 15.

Swindon took advantage of the accidents and injuries to Leicester and turned the meeting round in heats 12 and 13 with two 5-1s, then a great heat 15. Tobi was the rider of the night for Swindon and seems to be enjoying his racing over here.

Roll on wed and our visit to Poole.

Edited to change Howarth to Newman.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

This season is one of the best ever for close exciting racing and unpredictability.

Only been two meetings where a team has hit 60...great stuff!

Am I missing something? I thought the track was poor.....over watered, slick on the inside & too much grip on the outside. Riders picking up mid bend.....

I hope all the boys are okay, such a shame so many injuries happened yesterday.

Edited by hyabb17
  • Like 4

Am I missing something? I thought the track was poor.....over watered, slick on the inside & too much grip on the outside. Riders picking up mid bend.....

Agreed hyabb that did seem to be most of the problem

For anyone who has not seen them heat 13 and 15 are available on the interthingy from @btsport.

Hope Pawel P and Kyle Howarth for Leicester are ok and Batch after being knocked off and replaced in heat 15.

Swindon took advantage of the accidents and injuries to Leicester and turned the meeting round in heats 12 and 13 with two 5-1s, then a great heat 15. Tobi was the rider of the night for Swindon and seems to be enjoying his racing over here.

Roll on wed and our visit to Poole.

You mean Kyle Newman? Howarth's at Wolves

You mean Kyle Newman? Howarth's at Wolves

Yes apologies to him. Hope Kyle Newman is ok.

Just watched this and have to say the best meeting I have seen from here. Track is still horrible shape but there was some determined racing. Hope the injuries to the riders are not bad. Leicester threw this away with Lynch making howlers and King being completely stupid in heat 15. Why didn't he come inside on the last lap? Madness!

Think the top four are now decided. Just a little jostling for top spot but whoever gets the choice won't find it an easy call.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Congratulations to Mr Rossiter on making himself look and sound like a total prat.

Still, it's not too difficult, what with him being 99% of the way there anyway

As with the TV match against Eastbourne a few years ago, the track last night looked to have been prepared as to produce error and incident

The Robins luck seems to be turning, we have recently beaten the top two in the league, Wolves and BV x 2 . On wed we have those pesky pirates to deal with down in Dorset, who through luck are 5 points ahead of us, at the moment.

Jason might return on wed, but we have been doing well when he is not riding :wink: , and if we can pick up more points on wed and thursday the top 4 will be very close.

This new rider Tobi has been a very good signing so far and he and the rest of the team deserve a hell of a response during the rider presentations at the start of the meeting on thursday.

I haven't read any of the comments in this thread, but after watching this meeting, I can't but help think, that it is a combination of the bikes and shape of the track that combined to the conditions created.

The shape of the track doesn't flow...riders run out of room on bends 2 and 4, having to square up, lose speed and almost lock up.

There seems to be one line going into the corners, this creates a very slick riding line, which then creates a mass of dirt built up on the outside of it. You go from extremely slick to extremely deep within a few feet.

Last night you witnessed riders falling off because of the slick riding line, the back wheel completely loosing grip and spinning (BWD) and then other riders losing control of the bike when they hit the deep stuff and got too much grip and traction.

The track shape is almost like a sling shot, if you get my drift.

I'm not sure what they can do, apart from rip it up and design it again...it needs to be more oval. At the moment the straights are too long for the corners, which need more radius.

• Like 2

I haven't read any of the comments in this thread, but after watching this meeting, I can't but help think, that it is a combination of the bikes and shape of the track that combined to the conditions created.

The shape of the track doesn't flow...riders run out of room on bends 2 and 4, having to square up, lose speed and almost lock up.

There seems to be one line going into the corners, this creates a very slick riding line, which then creates a mass of dirt built up on the outside of it. You go from extremely slick to extremely deep within a few feet.

Last night you witnessed riders falling off because of the slick riding line, the back wheel completely loosing grip and spinning (BWD) and then other riders losing control of the bike when they hit the deep stuff and got too much grip and traction.

The track shape is almost like a sling shot, if you get my drift.

I'm not sure what they can do, apart from rip it up and design it again...it needs to be more oval. At the moment the straights are too long for the corners, which need more radius.

That's the beauty of a technical track, having to knock off the gas and reapply at different times...much better than the flat out tracks that absolutely anyone can ride!!!

• Like 2

The Return- Your comments about the track staff in Pawel situation are wholly unjustified if you had known facts.

Pawel had buried and wrapped himself and bike deep into the deflated air fence actually ending up face first into the fence with head underneath the handlebars and leg stuck between seat and back mudguard.

The track staff were having to hold the air fence back so the medics could treat him and for their protection as covering the red hot bike as space was tight and the bike was stuck in the fence behind and the riders leg had to be released from the bike without causing him further injury.

It was such a good job that there was an air fence as could have been so much worse also pleased to see that fence did not lift and catch bike and rider as expected

Edited by flagrag

That's the beauty of a technical track, having to knock off the gas and reapply at different times...much better than the flat out tracks that absolutely anyone can ride!!!

Well tbh, I don't think the Leicester track looks conducive to good racing. I've not witnessed good racing there.

The riders were going flat out into the corners, they just lock up so much going into bends 2 and 4, that it wipes out any speed they have, almost coming to a standstill, which they then straighten out and just fly down the straights again.

When a track is like this, you can't pick a line so well to make a move.

Didn't witness much throttle control, the only time was when riders were trying to avoid hitting one another or running out of room.

The combination of track shape and high revving engines isn't conducive to flowing racing with various line imo.

Well tbh, I don't think the Leicester track looks conducive to good racing. I've not witnessed good racing there.

The riders were going flat out into the corners, they just lock up so much going into bends 2 and 4, that it wipes out any speed they have, almost coming to a standstill, which they then straighten out and just fly down the straights again.

When a track is like this, you can't pick a line so well to make a move.

Didn't witness much throttle control, the only time was when riders were trying to avoid hitting one another or running out of room.

The combination of track shape and high revving engines isn't conducive to flowing racing with various line imo.

I totally agree that you don't get flowing racing, but the riders have to think a lot more as to what they are doing instead of just winding the throttle on!

Which IMO makes for ' interesting' racing!

• Like 2