British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

What is the reasoning for no press and practice? Don’t the promotion want to advertise their new season to the press? Why ban the Rye fans from coming along? Seems an absolute shambolic way to start the season.

The PR side over the winter has been terrible truth be told. This promotion have been getting away with it far too long because they are 'new.' They're not new anymore though but people are still cutting them slack. I actually think the club has regressed on the communication side since Len Silver left and I never thought that was possible. 

Press and practice is a good way to get fans excited for the season. Not much happens granted but as it is free you get floating fans in attendance. The sound and smell, the new riders etc. can convince someone who may not be thinking of attending many/any meetings otherwise. 

Have been falling out of love with the sport for some time now, it's a real shame as I'm a stone's throw from the track. Don't feel like I'm being offered anything from the club to make me even consider attending at the moment. And for anyone who wants to wheel out the 'if you don't use it you'll lose it' argument then save your breath. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Lord Skid said:

They've been doing too much BTCC secret squirrel stuff, don't want to risk any secret stuff getting to the opposition lol.

Quite agree with "secret squirrel" comment. Ben Barker left through "mutual agreement" perhaps there's more to this cloak and dagger stuff than meets the eye. Anyone live nearby who could take a look? I think most on this forum would be interested to know any updates.

The. Whole set up at rye has a 'take it or leave it' feel about it. If it's a repeat of last seasons 'racing' on concrete, I will be leaving it.

Quite agree.  We go because we love Speedway but it feels like they are doing us a favour keeping the Speedway going and I dont want it to feel like that I want it to feel like a Club and a Team we can and want to support and I don't think I am the only one who feels this way after talking last season to others that I stand near at the track.  Perhaps there is not enough profit in it nowadays, I am beginning to think things will diversify to an extent that the Speedway at Rye will take second place to other things i.e. KTM outlet etc.  I know they have sponsorship in the programme of races etc. but I feel other clubs, Poole for example ( without trying to stir up a hornets nest) do put themselves about trying to get lots of sponsorship and also their Xmas pop up shop at least it must make the supporters feel as though their club are trying.   We have had very little information at all on the website during the winter about how the stadium improvements are progressing,  basically we have been told the team for the coming year and the announcement that there would be no press and practice.   Some may say we are lucky at least we have a track and a team riding on it - to that that my response is "for how long".  I just hope i can feel more enthusiastic about Rye House once the seasons starts, I hope I can as I know the riders do it for a living but also because they love the sport as much as us supporters.

You are not alone in feeling this way about rye, there are quite a few of us in the same boat. The lack of urgency in running meetings is a major irritant to me, along with the one line race track that has developed over the last couple of years. I enjoyed it more when Len was running the show!

It has been quiet from club in the winter to be honest and I also  hope that further stadium improvements have been made and are saddened B.B. not riding as a real tryier and bums on seats rider , Sumner is not in same bracket  tbh . I did go to Tatum and Pearson night  in February at Paradise Park however and Steve Jenson and Peter Schroeack were interviewed by them on the night at length and was pretty impressed with them both. They had been talking to Jason Doyle in winter and thought they had a deal to sign him only to find he'd been talking to Somerset also and signed for them instead. SJ like most others not impressed with implementation of one 8 point rider rule and other parts of promoters conference . Unlike nearby rival club promoter ( and I use that term loosely ) He DOES listen to the fans and stated at above he also reads these forums and learns from them so cut him some slack guys because in a couple of years or maybe earlier he will have built a very good club . Len is an icon of the sport and a very hard act to follow I have to say but Ive been a fan of the sport for many years and in business dealing with the public . Steve has all the basics right to succeed and is making a very good night out at Rye House with friendly atmosphere around whole stadium coming from top and riders downwards with excellent presentation.

2 minutes ago, Goldhawk said:

It has been quiet from club in the winter to be honest and I also  hope that further stadium improvements have been made and are saddened B.B. not riding as a real tryier and bums on seats rider , Sumner is not in same bracket  tbh . I did go to Tatum and Pearson night  in February at Paradise Park however and Steve Jenson and Peter Schroeack were interviewed by them on the night at length and was pretty impressed with them both. They had been talking to Jason Doyle in winter and thought they had a deal to sign him only to find he'd been talking to Somerset also and signed for them instead. SJ like most others not impressed with implementation of one 8 point rider rule and other parts of promoters conference . Unlike nearby rival club promoter ( and I use that term loosely ) He DOES listen to the fans and stated at above he also reads these forums and learns from them so cut him some slack guys because in a couple of years or maybe earlier he will have built a very good club . Len is an icon of the sport and a very hard act to follow I have to say but Ive been a fan of the sport for many years and in business dealing with the public . Steve has all the basics right to succeed and is making a very good night out at Rye House with friendly atmosphere around whole stadium coming from top and riders downwards with excellent presentation.

On the subject of Leaping Len when is he going to receive an honour from the Queen for his incredible service to Speedway .

• Like 1

It's getting difficult to understand how the one 8 and over rule was passed. So far fans have reported that promoters at Wolverhampton, Swindon, Poole, Belle Vue and now Rye House are against it. Even if Belle Vue weren't allowed to vote that is still a majority against it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Goldhawk said:

I couldn't make it to Tatum and Pearson so it's interesting to read about it but  it's just a shame it had to be on this forum rather than on the Rye website.  Shame about Doyle I saw him riding for a short while at Rye until Len Silver let him go.

Edited by hammer1969
Spelling mistake

9 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

It's getting difficult to understand how the one 8 and over rule was passed. So far fans have reported that promoters at Wolverhampton, Swindon, Poole, Belle Vue and now Rye House are against it. Even if Belle Vue weren't allowed to vote that is still a majority against it.

Seems the answers given by some must be less than truthful on this and indeed many other subjects....

It was one of lens biggest mistakes letting Doyle go. It was a real 'Gerald Ratner' moment for rye as a club.

36 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Seems with anything that the ruling body do it might or might not be a rule and probably forced thru by the minority. 

Anything seems to make no sense with anything they touch, I'm at the point where I'm ready to give up trying to bother. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Goldhawk said:

Well said unfortunately not everything that happens (and the reasons for them) can be posted on here but yes fully agree that if one talks to Steve you will always get a straight answer to a question.  Don't know why there is such a great problem with there being no p and p - think the answer is obvious (but this is my guess) firstly   the track was in no fit state because of the weather and when it was fit to ride on all of the riders were not available at the same time because of doubling up with other clubs - many of the team are already racing - still never mind I for one am looking forward to a good seasons racing at  one of the best tracks in the country for close racing (only my view) - lets all hope for a safe and maybe a successful season

14 hours ago, Goldhawk said:

Herein lies the trouble. The Tatum and Pearson night wasn't a Rye House event and not everyone will have 1) been interested and 2) expected to find out news about Rye House there. Jenson's reaction to the AGM came on an obscure podcast roughly a month after the AGM (despite being told in November that he would be commenting on the AGM on his return to this country. They have the internet in Spain so even that seems a little extreme in terms of waiting). Put something on the club website, not on an obscure podcast, not at the shouty twins' trip to the zoo, not on the Facebook group. It isn't hard. 

A lot of fans want more communication from the club, it doesn't happen so what exactly is being taken on board from the promotion reading these forums and the Facebook group? 

The promotion have had enough slack to hang themselves more than once already. They first became involved at the club in 2015. This is their fourth season. Look at the changes Glasgow have made in a similar time in comparison. 

It isn't hard to keep fans updated. Once the team was announced we could have had a weekly profile on each member of the side for example. Not hard to put together and post on the website but there's seven weeks of content out of the winter there to keep people interested. Along with announcing the team that would have given content for over half of the winter break, easy stuff. An update on the developments at the stadium here and there wouldn't go amiss either.

• Like 2