British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Track Records 1949

Guest compost

Hi

On the off chance, does anyone know the tracks records for Oxford & Rayleigh at the START of the 1949 season please ?

Thanks

Hi

On the off chance, does anyone know the tracks records for Oxford & Rayleigh at the START of the 1949 season please ?

Thanks

The Rayleigh track record was 76.2, set by Wally Green of Hastings on 21st August 1948.

I believe that Bill Kitchen held the pre-war track record of 74.4 seconds on the old Oxford track, which was described in some press reports as a sand surface. A new track was constructed for the 1949 season.

Edited by BL65

The Rayleigh track record was 76.2, set by Wally Green of Hastings on 21st August 1948.

I believe that Bill Kitchen held the pre-war track record of 74.4 seconds on the old Oxford track, which was described in some press reports as a sand surface. A new track was constructed for the 1949 season.

I tried to assembly a list of current track records for British clubs recently. It wasn't that easy (and at least one of the published figures was wrong). And here's you, coming back in just over half an hour with track records from the 40's. I'm well impressed.

Guest compost

Thanks BL65 - I forgot that Oxford only reopened in '49 (doh!)

I tried to assembly a list of current track records for British clubs recently. It wasn't that easy (and at least one of the published figures was wrong). And here's you, coming back in just over half an hour with track records from the 40's. I'm well impressed.

I've got partial details of (4 lap) track record from 1929 to present (though the pre war ones are really complicated with records being for - rolling start, clutch start, standing start and flying start and for 1,2 and 4 laps). Details come from files on the Researcher or the Speedway Star.

Thanks BL65 - I forgot that Oxford only reopened in '49 (doh!)

Oxford staged its first speedway in 1939. Among the starter were George Bason, Dick Reynolds and Bob Jones.

​Defunct tracks re Oxford Speedway:

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Oxford.htm

Edited by Guest

The Rayleigh bit was easy, I just looked in the programmes from that season.

Oxford staged its first speedway in 1939. Among the starter were George Bason, Dick Reynolds and Bob Jones.

​Defunct tracks re Oxford Speedway:

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Oxford.htm

There used to be a Grasstrack at Sandford-on-Thames (never been able to locate the site) prior to the promotion opening up at Cowley just before the war.

I think I'm right in that some meetings were held early during the war at Oxford but they soon came to an end and speedway re-opened in 1949 in which Dad went to the first meeting.