British Speedway Forum
Wolfsbane

Premiership Grand Final 1st Leg Swindon V Wolves 02.10.17

Admission prices were unchanged.

Agreed it was the prog that cost £1 more than normal.

Nope, last night was worse than that! :D

You should have had a 13-15 point lead to take to Monmore, so yeah they definitely choked! Don't worry it happens to the best of us. However if Wolves are capable of a shock result like this then i don't see why Swindon can't do the same on Weds.

As a Swindon fan for longer than I'd admit lol, I'm used to us snatching defeat from victory, we just can't handle the favourite tag, Rosco should have used some reverse psychology instead of acting the prat, having said that, it shouldn't take a professional rider/team 2/3 of a meeting to suss the track out, kudos to wolves for being professional.

I don't agree that anybody choked. Wolverhampton just did so much better than most expected and deserve all the credit for a remarkable performance. Swindon had one of those nights when they couldn't get their act together and Wolves kept up the pressure to make it harder for them to do so. It's sport, it happens. Suggesting Swindon choked just detracts from Wolves excellent performance.

You're not allowed to have that opinion, Lord shoveller of the forum says so. :drink:

Surely you plan for all eventualities, it happens all the time in sport, fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

We are always being told riders have a book for the set ups for different tracks, so swindon should have a known working setup for what was placed in front of them, either smacks of laziness or arrogance, either are not good traits for a professional sportsman.

Tatum pointed out before the meeting that Ronnie Russell had prepared the track with grip inside and outside and slick in the middle so did nobody from Swindon walk the track or they just thought they only had to turn up to win. They can say it was different from normal but they didnt think we need to ride where the Wolves riders were riding. Rosco and the team were complacent he even said on tv they wernt excited but very relaxed. Overall not a bad meeting with a couple of good battles and some good passes.

I think we know Wolves wont lose it, Swindon will have to win it, Adams wont let that happen. He got them right on it from the start and when a team is massive underdogs that helps too.

Some would say Wolves are favourites now :o

Doesn't have to be injury, breakdowns, riders off form due to coming back from injury or just off form can also make the difference.

Greaves would beat Doyle if he broke down, unlikely but you never know, it' s a speedway meeting, anything can happen.

As I said anything can happen and it did!

I think with a bit of luck it could still be in the balance for the Wolves leg of the final.

Show me where you or anyone else predicted differently.

Its been summed up elsewhere. Rosco laughing and joking talking on the mic to the crowd just before the meeting. Doyle admitting afterwards they thought it would be easy.

Complacency got Swindon big time. They should have won at a canter but blew up. They should have been on their A game, not their C. Wolves were in the right place mentally and physically. But with that lineup, if Swindon had properly prepared in all aspects before the meeting they should have had a healthy lead to take to Monmore tomorrow.

Riss overtook Museilak for gods sake! OK he fell but it shows the difference between the two teams attitude.

Not so much a prediction but I said its a speedway meeting anything can happen!

Edited by foreverblue

Well done to Wolves on the night,Briggo got it right saying Swindon riders were to blame for there own downfall,no good saying the track was not the same as previous week that's in the past.

It's not what said or asked in your first post ..your question was why the track was like it was and then saying the blame was on Rosco for having it like that .

As I explained and it was confirmed by Tatum after speaking to Ronnie Russell that it had to be like that due to the heavy rain over the weekend and the poor forcast for the afternoon of the meeting ...not an excuse as the track was the same for both sides just the facts ..no doubt a great trackman like yourself would have covered the track in heavy dirt so if it did rain the match would have had no chance of taking place and Swindon speedway would have lost there biggest crowd and income of the season .

Your Point about Rosco looking at the track and then getting his riders to adap to it if a another and maybe a valid point but not the question you asked in your first post .

My original point was that a manager, with his finger on the pulse, would not have left a stone unturned, in a effort to ensure the track gave as much home advantage as possible... least of all he would have known what the track was like..... You say rain was forecast late afternoon, (4 till 7) So that being the case, it justifies why the track was prepared as such. But when it became known the forecast was wrong, surely Rosco had time to liaison with Ronnie Russell to work on the track to bring it in line with what the home side was expecting. It don't take that long.

Considering this was the most important meeting raced at Swindon this year , I would have thought more effort could have been made.... ..

Then again, what do I know. ... What I did see, was that Rory had his finger on the pulse and made sure his team were also dialled in as well......

Morris made the 2 minutes fine, the rule is you just have to be on the track, riding in the correct direction for racing to the tapes.

As that changed, I always thought the rule was you had to be at the tapes ready to race.... not on track heading towards tapes.

As that changed, I always thought the rule was you had to be at the tapes ready to race.... not on track heading towards tapes.

Been this way for ages, certainly as long as I remember. GP you have to be ready to race.

It's why there was so much uproar for the Coventry/Swindon meeting on SKy a couple of years ago where half the Swindon team were excluded on two minutes!

I thought that too and have seen people disqualified this year when they were on the track but not at the gate ready to go when the two mins were up, although that could well have been in one of the Euro Champs or Pairs rounds earlier this year. Perhaps the rules are different in the Premiership to the Continent?

Surely someone in here must know for certain?

No it's always been as long as you are on track and heading to Start.GP 's are different you have to be ready to race inside the 2 min though.

No it's always been as long as you are on track and heading to Start.GP 's are different you have to be ready to race inside the 2 min though.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

What I did see, was that Rory had his finger on the pulse and made sure his team were also dialled in as well......

Good point. It was noted among the Wolves fans that Schlein came out to run an eye over the track after grading and, presumably, pass on his assessment to the team.

Been this way for ages, certainly as long as I remember. GP you have to be ready to race.

That's a short memory. It changed last year!

15.2.5 Riders must at the expiry of this time allowance, be on the track, under power, proceeding without stopping towards the Starting Gate.
(in bold as a new regulation)
Previously;
15.3.4 Riders must be “ready to race” or “under the control of the Start Marshal” in the correct Gate position within the permitted Time Allowance.
  • Like 1

What a pleasure it is to read this thread without any of the inane bickering and nonsense.

As Fourentee points out, Wolves were paying close attention to the work done on the track. The line had moved to the outside but after a period of grading Sam Masters made a start and kept a tight inside line taking advantage of the fresh grip available.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Bloody weirdest robin I've ever seen! It's a swallow innit.

Yes.......THIS is a proper Robin. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156617429352785&set=a.10150784554067785.494859.550797784&type=3&theater

Alan Jones...............That's a short memory. It changed last year!

That's what happens as you age the memory goes and SCB is getting on a bit now bless him. :lol:

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2