British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Leicester vs Belle Vue 28/05/18

Best race of the night was the race to start the riders practice lap before the announcer could finish reading the teams out on the parade!

Another terribly dull nights "racing"

Edited by iainb

Iainb Not sure what meeting you watched last night there was two or three top races including heat 15

I suppose it depends on what you define as a good race flagrag. Did you go to the match earlier in the day? The difference in the 2 tracks is unforgivable as they were both recent blank canvas tracks. You know watching a race at BV that even if a rider doesn't make the pass he's always had the opportunity to do so, at Leicester a rider maybe chasing another closely but in 95% of cases is unable to make a pass. Look at the updates site 12 FTG's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway is 2 or 3 as you call them top races enough for a nights entertainment? Surely you can't be defending what was on offer last night, or for that matter this season as proper speedway?

Edited by iainb

Ian. Whilst i get utterly frustrated with the consistently weak teams we put out at Leicester & find it hard sometimes to maintain my enthusiasm, i find it strange that you continually slag off everything Leicester at every opportunity. If you really hate the entertainment on offer that much, why do you go? Nobody is forcing you to attend. I suspect that you are in fact Robert72 as he continually spouted the same bile in the same cracked record way that you do. 

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

Iainb Not sure what meeting you watched last night there was two or three top races including heat 15

Please elaborate. 

2 hours ago, Liontamer said:

Ian. Whilst i get utterly frustrated with the consistently weak teams we put out at Leicester & find it hard sometimes to maintain my enthusiasm, i find it strange that you continually slag off everything Leicester at every opportunity. If you really hate the entertainment on offer that much, why do you go? Nobody is forcing you to attend. I suspect that you are in fact Robert72 as he continually spouted the same bile in the same cracked record way that you do. 

I was seriously asking myself the question of why do I keep going last night. I barely attended a handful of matches last year, but this year British Speedway as a whole seems to be starting to get its act together regarding rider availability due to doubling up, whether it's the correct FRN's or not is a different debate for a different thread. I'm trying to renew my enthusiasm for the sport after a difficult winter for me personally and have been to quite a few meetings so far this season (Leicester, BV, KL, Somerset, Sheffield, Peterborough).

Leicester had been without Speedway for too long 1984-2011 and it pains me to see what a disaster of a track they have returned to the sport with, they could have built anything and they came up with that and then there has been a stead fast refusal to do anything about it, it's by some distance the worse track I have ever seen. Add to this the dust and delays due to the sun, which thankfully haven't occurred yet this year and it's easy to see why crowds have dropped off alarmingly.

I can even put up with a crap team, Leicester have always had a crap team, this year seemed to promise something different, but seems to be heading the same way as every other, I can put up with a crap team if I can see some genuine unpredictable action, the only thing unpredictable at Leicester is who is going to make the start because more often than not the order coming out of the 2nd turn is the final result.

If it pleases you to think I'm Robert72 (whoever he his) then you go with that... As a genuine matter of interest I'd be curious to know what keeps you going every week (assuming you go every week) as I'm asking myself that question

• Like 1

It was a good result for BV to get a point with the woefully understrength team we have tracked for most of the season. RR and guests are never ideal and BV are nowhere near their peak whilst other teams are at theirs or thereabouts. When and if Stevie Worrall gets back to the good form he was in pre injury, we will be a force to be reckoned with I am certain of that.

What are the chances of signing Eric Riss until Stevie is fit. He is the best guest we have used so far and rides the NSS superbly.

4 minutes ago, colin wood said:

What are the chances of signing Eric Riss until Stevie is fit. He is the best guest we have used so far and rides the NSS superbly.

Riss is a class act,NSS would be right up his street.

We need to sign a gater as we are away at Wolves, Rye, Swindon and Poole, all notoriously gate & go tracks. During this time we only have Poole at home. 

Who do you reckon - must be a gater?

11 minutes ago, ouch said:

We need to sign a gater as we are away at Wolves, Rye, Swindon and Poole, all notoriously gate & go tracks. During this time we only have Poole at home. 

Who do you reckon - must be a gater?

Riss has really improved this year IMO .Rides Armadale superbly which bodes well for the tracks you are visiting,but may have a heavy Continental schedule.

5 hours ago, iainb said:

I was seriously asking myself the question of why do I keep going last night. I barely attended a handful of matches last year, but this year British Speedway as a whole seems to be starting to get its act together regarding rider availability due to doubling up, whether it's the correct FRN's or not is a different debate for a different thread. I'm trying to renew my enthusiasm for the sport after a difficult winter for me personally and have been to quite a few meetings so far this season (Leicester, BV, KL, Somerset, Sheffield, Peterborough).

Leicester had been without Speedway for too long 1984-2011 and it pains me to see what a disaster of a track they have returned to the sport with, they could have built anything and they came up with that and then there has been a stead fast refusal to do anything about it, it's by some distance the worse track I have ever seen. Add to this the dust and delays due to the sun, which thankfully haven't occurred yet this year and it's easy to see why crowds have dropped off alarmingly.

I can even put up with a crap team, Leicester have always had a crap team, this year seemed to promise something different, but seems to be heading the same way as every other, I can put up with a crap team if I can see some genuine unpredictable action, the only thing unpredictable at Leicester is who is going to make the start because more often than not the order coming out of the 2nd turn is the final result.

If it pleases you to think I'm Robert72 (whoever he his) then you go with that... As a genuine matter of interest I'd be curious to know what keeps you going every week (assuming you go every week) as I'm asking myself that question

Thank you four your reasoned reply. Why do i keep going? Because like you i support the lions & have done since i was a teenager. Yes the track was crap under the Hemsley regime, but since they left ( thank God), the tack improvements have made a big difference to the racing. We will never have a track like the Belle Vue, but the racing this year has been pretty good in my opinion. To say there is no passing is simply not true. Hard as it is sometimes, try to see a few positives instead of continually posting negative comments & slagging everything Leicester off. However bad you think it is, surely it's a he'll of a lot better than what we "had" between Blackbird Road closing & Beaumont park opening. Keep the faith mate or just give it up as a bad job. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iainb said:

I suppose it depends on what you define as a good race flagrag. Did you go to the match earlier in the day? The difference in the 2 tracks is unforgivable as they were both recent blank canvas tracks. You know watching a race at BV that even if a rider doesn't make the pass he's always had the opportunity to do so, at Leicester a rider maybe chasing another closely but in 95% of cases is unable to make a pass. Look at the updates site 12 FTG's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway is 2 or 3 as you call them top races enough for a nights entertainment? Surely you can't be defending what was on offer last night, or for that matter this season as proper speedway?

The track was set out by David Hemsley and he went ahead despite many good and knowledgeable people imploring him to change his mind and pointing out the errors.

He then spent 4 years trying to fool people into believing that it was producing top class racing. To cut a long story short he eventually gave into pressure and agreed to some limited changes which had very little effect, and later to more significant changes but only what was possible within the scope of the arena's footprint. He presented the BSPA with an open goal to ban him as a Promoter, and thank goodness they took their chance although I think he was also becoming a thorn in their side by having the cheek to suggest better ways to run the sport, many of which seemed to make sense.

What I'd suggest is that if you can come up with realistic proposals as to how the track and the arena could be changed, preferably based on calculated and researched Engineering & Design, and which is affordable within a very, very (i.e. nowt) budget, give Damien Bates a call. 

I live in hope (not the place near Sheffield)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Liontamer said:

Thank you four your reasoned reply. Why do i keep going? Because like you i support the lions & have done since i was a teenager. Yes the track was crap under the Hemsley regime, but since they left ( thank God), the tack improvements have made a big difference to the racing. We will never have a track like the Belle Vue, but the racing this year has been pretty good in my opinion. To say there is no passing is simply not true. Hard as it is sometimes, try to see a few positives instead of continually posting negative comments & slagging everything Leicester off. However bad you think it is, surely it's a he'll of a lot better than what we "had" between Blackbird Road closing & Beaumont park opening. Keep the faith mate or just give it up as a bad job. 

We must not forget it was the Hemsley regime that brought the sport back to the city and for that he/they must be applauded. I'm all for having a track that produces a home track advantage with a trick bend like at Cradley or Swindon where by the home riders can master the best line around it, but at Leicester more often than not it's whoever makes the gate (home or away) wins the race and that shouldn't be Speedway IMO. Do I shut up about it and stop going? Or shut about it and keep going? It's a question a lot of people have seemingly asked themselves and the answer can be seen on the terraces. Do you travel to away tracks at all Liontamer? Can you honestly say there is a worse track for racing? 

I don't know what the answer is but I don't think it's shut up about it, you're probably right in saying that I should stop going, but what if we all did that? A lot of people have! If I thought I was in the minority and the terraces were heaving and everybody was raving about what a great nights racing had been witnessed I'd obviously have to question myself.

I just want the best for Speedway in general and Leicester Speedway in particular

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Big Al said:

The track was set out by David Hemsley and he went ahead despite many good and knowledgeable people imploring him to change his mind and pointing out the errors.

He then spent 4 years trying to fool people into believing that it was producing top class racing. To cut a long story short he eventually gave into pressure and agreed to some limited changes which had very little effect, and later to more significant changes but only what was possible within the scope of the arena's footprint. He presented the BSPA with an open goal to ban him as a Promoter, and thank goodness they took their chance although I think he was also becoming a thorn in their side by having the cheek to suggest better ways to run the sport, many of which seemed to make sense.

What I'd suggest is that if you can come up with realistic proposals as to how the track and the arena could be changed, preferably based on calculated and researched Engineering & Design, and which is affordable within a very, very (i.e. nowt) budget, give Damien Bates a call. 

I live in hope (not the place near Sheffield)

Hope is nice but prefer the pubs in Castleton 

• Thanks 1