British Speedway Forum

20 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I have a split opinion on Harris. Part of me says good team man but another part of me  says will he be too up and down ?? Complicated further by his revised GSA up from 7.09 as per GSA 1/10 to a final av of 7.78 a whole 0.69 higher I assume based on  deleting his Rye scores as though play offs didn't count ?? Suddenly doesn't look so good. Doyle for example is 9.80 but you know you will get 10/15 points per meeting from him which we know with Poole riders last year you could get anything from 0 to 10/12 (if you were lucky).

For me Matt has to give some serious thought to the 2019 team. Yes 2018 started badly but honestly I am not yet convinced the likes of Kurtz/Josh G/Woryna/Fredrikson will improve their av big time and Klindt had a good season (sometimes) and again not 100% convinced he would improve.

Having so called strength in depth is good on the one hand but for me they had a good slice of luck and good fortune in 2018 to win the League whatever some Poole die hard's may think. Yes they did the job but asking lightning to strike twice with most of the same team ??. I can't see it PLUS the team has to shed a massive 2.64 points anyway to get back to 42.5 for season start. Would you tie up Harris at a whole 7.78 out of that will he even achieve that knowing realistically he is nearer a 7 IMO. Maybe you can get a proven 8 pointer which would be better but again can the club afford such expense with no confirmed team sponsor.

I think Matt is going to have plenty on his plate trying to find a decent combination for 2019 plus if he can even do it early enough IF he doesn't have a main sponsor on board.

Hope it does not become a case of "Oh Well" we achieved what I wanted and that was the League Champions in 2018 out 70th year so in what may be my last year at the Club let's just go for consolidation without a large expense.

I actually meant Morris!! But my fault as both riders were mentioned in the quoted post! :)

17 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I have a split opinion on Harris. Part of me says good team man but another part of me  says will he be too up and down ?? Complicated further by his revised GSA up from 7.09 as per GSA 1/10 to a final av of 7.78 a whole 0.69 higher I assume based on  deleting his Rye scores as though play offs didn't count ?? Suddenly doesn't look so good. Doyle for example is 9.80 but you know you will get 10/15 points per meeting from him which we know with Poole riders last year you could get anything from 0 to 10/12 (if you were lucky).

For me Matt has to give some serious thought to the 2019 team. Yes 2018 started badly but honestly I am not yet convinced the likes of Kurtz/Josh G/Woryna/Fredrikson will improve their av big time and Klindt had a good season (sometimes) and again not 100% convinced he would improve.

Having so called strength in depth is good on the one hand but for me they had a good slice of luck and good fortune in 2018 to win the League whatever some Poole die hard's may think. Yes they did the job but asking lightning to strike twice with most of the same team ??. I can't see it PLUS the team has to shed a massive 2.64 points anyway to get back to 42.5 for season start. Would you tie up Harris at a whole 7.78 out of that will he even achieve that knowing realistically he is nearer a 7 IMO. Maybe you can get a proven 8 pointer which would be better but again can the club afford such expense with no confirmed team sponsor.

I think Matt is going to have plenty on his plate trying to find a decent combination for 2019 plus if he can even do it early enough IF he doesn't have a main sponsor on board.

Hope it does not become a case of "Oh Well" we achieved what I wanted and that was the League Champions in 2018 out 70th year so in what may be my last year at the Club let's just go for consolidation without a large expense.

cant see any big hitters coming to the uk next season anyway Piotr pawlicki maybe going to wolves if he comes . bomber deserves another season after last season heat 15 win against somerset in the semi final  

• Like 1

Personally I would have Harris back in a heartbeat, fantastic team man, great motivator and seemed to enjoy his time with us and very exciting to watch. What's not to like.

Thought provoking comment.

If Matt has to lose 2.64 from the team that won the league to get within the 42.50 limit and IF as some think Worrall may not be part of the 2019 plans (and he is only on 5.60) would Linus Sundstrom possibly be a consideration on his new GSA of only 6.04 ???

Yes it is higher than Worrall but would he be considered a better quality rider capable of improving his GSA having started 2018 on 7.17. Yes Matt would still need to change elsewhere but he is faced with changes whatever happens as he is 2.64 over the limit anyway with last years team. Also Sundstrom now riding Swe Exl next season so Tuesday and has signed for a POL Nice 1 team for 2019 so will get regular Sunday rides. Will also improve his confidence hopefully as didnt work out at Gorzow in POL Exl

As said a thought provoking idea. Worth another try ??

7 minutes ago, ray c said:

cant see any big hitters coming to the uk next season anyway Piotr pawlicki maybe going to wolves if he comes . bomber deserves another season after last season heat 15 win against somerset in the semi final  

Matt has a possible problem anyway as the current team is 2.64 over the limit. Not helped by Harris & Brady's GSA's being hiked.

Something has to give. As Lisa commented would like to see Morris come in as on as arguably false low GSA of 6.60 he arguably has maybe 2 points improvement in him. BUT maybe he feels Doyle returning to Swindon would help elevate him back to that at Swindon. For sure he would fit Poole's requirements of an improver and helping to keep the Poole team limit down.

As another thought provoker further down. What about Josh Pickering ??? was menioned by Matt briefly last season. Would come in on around 4.50 mark after 2 seasons at Edinburgh. Turns 22 in 3 days. An idea for points saving in reserve slot ?? Went from  4.65 in 2017 to 6.11 in 2018 so seems to be improving. Yes he is also another young Aussie ;)

11 minutes ago, BLACKHEART said:

7.78 average. More than likely have to ride at No.1. The probable No.5 Brady Kurtz has proven he cant ride at No.1 as of yet. Harris must not be signed for 2019. He's a great guy and a showman but the 7.78 average is only going one way and that's down. Brady needs to be protected next season so we have to sign a rider who can hold down the No.1 position. 

Harris is  well worth his average in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Harris is  well worth his average in my opinion.

The problem as I see it is that to get rid of 2.64 whole points from the 2018 finishing team it would mean Harris having to go in at number 1 ?? I am not convinced he is a number 1.

As said I have split minds on the guy but do have BIG reservations at 7.78. For sure we know he wants back in as he can do Somerset Wed and Poole Thur so can stay overnight down South rather than driving home to Telford  late Wed and all the way back less that 24 hours later.

I  wish someone somewhere had some clarity on the Chris Holder situation. For me if Chris was an option on say 7.16 (which again nobody knows if its that or he would go back to 8 as a GP rider for 2018 but not a GP rider in 2019 - who knows what his av will be). Would Chris be a better option on 7.16 than Harris and would that also help swing the younger Holder who is also a Poole asset.

Would have been nice if Chris could have maybe made a few comments on twitter as to if he thinks he might be available to race UK in 2019 rather than the gossip about him having  sold up STC and is moving to Andorra. Even if he is moving does that mean he won't be riding UK as believe Fricke who has also allegedly moved there probably will do UK.

All I keep hearing on the Forum when I raise Holder Sr is forget him. He won't be returning to Poole but is that fact or again just rumour/some peoples opinion.

I agree that Bomber is on a high average at 7.78 and would be hard pushed to achieve that, but maybe we should look beyond that. He obviously wants to ride for Poole, he rides with passion and other team members have said that he inspires them. If he can get a few more points out of the others with his positive attitude in the pits then he may be worth it, possible candidate for captain?

4 minutes ago, Pirate Rich said:

I agree that Bomber is on a high average at 7.78 and would be hard pushed to achieve that, but maybe we should look beyond that. He obviously wants to ride for Poole, he rides with passion and other team members have said that he inspires them. If he can get a few more points out of the others with his positive attitude in the pits then he may be worth it, possible candidate for captain?

I think opinion may well be split. Hell even I am on the subject.

Just find it a worry that Matt has to shed that 2.64 which just makes things more tricky with Harris being elevated 0.69 points since the 1st Oct GSA list. Maybe how the rest of the team looks may have a bearing. I have thrown in riders such as Sundstrom and Pickering who would help drag the team GSA down a bit with perhaps scope for improvement if you also factor in Brady/Woryna/Jakobsen which gives you for those 6 a 36.85 limit leaving only 5.65 being too low for either Holder or even Nick Morris. Of course Shanes and Morris would fit.

A team of potential but could it struggle without a proven out and out number one ??

No doubt Matt is working hard on it but is a bit of a conundrum.

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

have a split opinion on Harris. Part of me says good team man but another part of me  says will he be too up and down ??

Yeah go on have him. You'll then find out how frustrating he is for the first few months of the season.  :D

It makes sense to sign Harris from a team morale point of view

But it makes no sense to sign him on that average for team building purposes

3 or 4 times last season he failed to even win a race at home. He was average in both the semi and play off finals...........barring one great ride which i think has clouded peoples judgement.

Sure he provides entertainment but that doesnt win you the league......................you will never find a more entertaining Poole rider than Mark Loram but he was moved on in favour of the better scoring potential of Rickardsson..........and thats what Poole need to do with Harris, thank him for last season but do the right thing and move him on. 

Im not sure any club would touch him on that inflated average

8 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Yeah go on have him. You'll then find out how frustrating he is for the first few months of the season.  :D

Yes and I have heard it before which is another reason for my concern. Can't say i have noticed it before but then I wasn't studying him as a rider of another team. Have heard before that he takes time to sort set ups - get proper fitness etc. After last seasons early disasters really don't want another playing catch up from the bottom situation. 

Maybe we have been spoiled at Poole over most years but bottom of the league was a bit scary putting it mildly.

Also remember that Poole only won twice in 2018 and both at Leicester who  are not there in 2019. Have my doubts Peterborough and Ipswich will provide such  cannon fodder. You need wins from somewhere away to get into the top 4, even if you keep some matches to within 6 or the odd draw. 

Doyle proved being a proven number 1 he helped both Swindon and Somerset into the play offs. He helped win it with Swindon - was VERY unlucky with Somerset with the Holder injury and one should not be too hard on him for that Harris race which was a one off we probably won't see easliy repeated. His performances against Poole and poins scored were still good in the matches between the sides in the League and play offs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gavan said:

3 or 4 times last season he failed to even win a race at home. He was average in both the semi and play off finals...........barring one great ride which i think has clouded peoples judgement.

Sure he provides entertainment but that doesnt win you the league......................you will never find a more entertaining Poole rider than Mark Loram but he was moved on in favour of the better scoring potential of Rickardsson..........and thats what Poole need to do with Harris, thank him for last season but do the right thing and move him on. 

Fortunately then it was Harris who made a massive contrabution in  us winning the League. That said, it wasnt just a one man team. You need 6 other riders.
Personally, i feel Chris's average should be re-assessed. to take into consideration his age and the fact that he would freely admit he is not a No 1. But sadly this is Poole we are talking about..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Don't disagree Gavan.

I think Ford has a difficult juggling act on his hands with the points limit alone and MAYBE if the Holders are available (maybe even only one of them) on lower GSA's then maybe they are a better option for team building limit.Won't argue with you over Snrs GSA as know your opinion on it but that isn't known just as we don't even know if he is an option for racing UK in 2019.

I am edging more towards team balance and maximising the team strength based on points limit and the team having to shed 2.64 points from last season

4 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Fortunately then it was Harris who made a massive contrabution in  us winning the League. That said, it wasnt just a one man team. You need 6 other riders.
Personally, i feel Chris's average should be re-assessed. to take into consideration his age and the fact that he would freely admit he is not a No 1. But sadly this is Poole we are talking about..

Honestly Starman riding for Poole nothing to do with it. Unfortunately Chris Harris has become a victim of the way the system is. Similar with Brady who was 6.75 on the new 1/10 GSA's but then became 7.05 on the final. So 2 Poole riders who's GSA's increased yet Morris dropped from 6.91 to 6.60. Was this due to Rye House scores all being deleted ??. No idea personally but for sure doesn't help Matt's team building with having to get rid of 2.64 points.

Personally think its a difficult one and you are damned if you sign him and damned if you don't. You will always get good days from Chris as he was rider of the night several times last season (but not in the 2 meeting play off final).

It's a difficult one for me but having to shed 2.64 points of the final team av and having Chris start on such a high GSA does concern me as we need arguably 2 riders on lower AV at the expense of 2 others which arguably makes the team weaker. Maybe relying too much on the younger riders such as Kurtz/Wory/Jakobsen really stepping up. 

If you throw Morris into the mix I would be interested of course and Holder/s.

Suppose all we can do is keep playing the name the team game until Matt enlightens us a bit more ;-)