British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Greg Hancock - happy retirement

On 3/16/2020 at 8:40 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Was never a fan racing wise but he was always great with the fans had time for a chat and his record speaks for itself.Hope he has a great retirement and hopefully stays involved in the sport in one way or another. Ricko, Crump, Gollob, Pedersen, Hancock , it would be interesting to see how fans rated Greg in amongst that great lot.

Ricko, Crump, Hancock, Pedersen, Gollob. Pretty clear cut imo. 

4 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Personally I'd put Hancock 5th of that lot. So not that clear cut really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2020 at 4:49 PM, norbold said:

I agree with all of that. It is very hard to overrate any rider who won four World titles!
The only caveat I would add to that is that, after winning the title in 1997, he didn't figure greatly again until after the era of Rickardsson, Crump, Pedersen and Gollob was over, which, I guess, must mean something in where we rate him in the "Best Ever" category.

Hi Norman!

I too struggle with where to rank him and there's no doubt in that in the noughties, he was out performed by Crump, Rickardsson, Pedersen. So was he a better rider in the decade that followed or were the opposition inferior? I tend to lean towards the former as I think in Woffinden, Zmarzlik and to a lesser degree Holder, Pedersen and Crump were still very tough opposition. 

Thing is, his is a career that is quite unique in speedway terms and I am struggling to think of an equivalent in other sports too. George Foreman perhaps? Maybe Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal? It's unique in that it doesn't follow the typical trajectory upwards towards a peak and then slowly meanders down. He has had at least two or three peaks! My best guess what enabled him to win titles later in his career was two main elements:

1. He was healthy...he has always been a safe rider with hardly any injuries and that played a big part in prolonging his career

2. His experience and expertise went far beyond anyone else in the pits at the latter end of his career. He had been there, done it many times over, knew the tracks, had the set ups spot on and tactically knew how to play the risk percentages better than anyone else.

In terms of talent, I wouldn't have him near the top of my list. But purely in terms of longevity and consistency, he's probably no1.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Personally I'd put Hancock 5th of that lot. So not that clear cut really.

Yes, fifth out of that five.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

You'll upset the Gollob is god's gift gang, with his one world title and multiple home rounds...  as can already be seen.

If we take their careers from when Gollob was in the GP's so 1998-2013.. and award pts for their finishing position.. 16 for 1st, down to 1 for last..

Hancock scores 4 more pts than Gollob.

Then factor in Hancock had finished 4th, 3rd and 1st in the three years prior to Gollob.. then added 1st, 2nd, 1st, 14th and 5th after him.

Gollob was more exciting.. but the objective in speedway is winning races.. and at that Hancock was better.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

very interesting - perhaps adds weight to my suggestion that Hancock is underrated?

Tbf, I can see an argument that Pedersen, who was a whisker away from a 4th world title, ranks higher

but Gollob? And this from people like Norman and GC, whose opinions I respect.

Gollob is an interesting one. I'd rank him 2nd of the post-war single world champions - behind Peter Collins (and possibly Mike Lee.). But can you justify someone, no matter how talented, who won 1 world title over someone who won 4? 

I can just abour rationalise it. I'd rank Penhall ahead of Hancock, given he retired with two titles at such a young age. And while I rate Penhall ahead of Peter Collins, I could for sure see an argument the other way. And there would be valid arguments for Gollob ahead of PC.

But...  Gollob has ridden in the same era as Hancock, in the same format,  and won 1 title to 4. There haven't been years when he was unlucky not to win, unlike say PC who but for injury would likely have added a 2nd title, and would probably have won two under a GP format.  better to watch - without a doubt. More naturally talented - yes. But rating him ahead of Hancock seems to me like rating PC ahead of Mauger.

• Like 2

Just wondering if there was no GP Series this year would Greg perhaps give it another go as non of the other riders would have had any track time at this level for 12mths   making his return a little easier .