British Speedway Forum
Theboss

British Speedway to be reborn?

5 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I plan on working that number out later today

I like your ideas but to implement them and be ahead of the game thing's need to start happening now.In speedway this has never happened a rushed conference every year with no real longterm vision and usually nothing really changes your ideas are refreshing though.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HGould said:

I can't see Cradley ever coming back.

The fan base has dwindled due to age and apathy.

If the outstanding Tony Mole could not find a track location for them between 2000 and 2010 and make it work, then I have to ask "who can"??

The Money raised to support the Cradley Planning and set up was then squandered and used by Patchett and Pearson who have piggy backed on to the Cradley name for a long time, creamed money off it and done very little to actually support it. Now they have "run for the hills" as the money pit has run dry.

Its 25 years since Dudley Wood closed and I fear Cradley will never return.

Birmingham and Wolverhampton are barely viable, so where is there room for another Club in the midst of that as I see very few Cradley fans (30-40 in 2019) at either track and Cradleys gates last year were probably below 500.

The horse sadly has bolted. 

Point by point.

1. I can't see Cradley ever coming back. How long were Birmingham and Leicester away for ?.

2. The fan base has dwindled due to age and apathy. The age issue applies to every Team in this country, the apathy is because the dream we were sold by P & P never materialised.

3. If the outstanding Tony Mole could not find a track location for them between 2000 and 2010 and make it work, then I have to ask "who can"??. There are still a few people out there who believe something can be put in place, the other major stumbling block now is the Sport itself.

4. The Money raised to support the Cradley Planning and set up was then squandered and used by Patchett and Pearson who have piggy backed on to the Cradley name for a long time, creamed money off it and done very little to actually support it. Now they have "run for the hills" as the money pit has run dry. Cant really argue with that.

5. Its 25 years since Dudley Wood closed and I fear Cradley will never return. Never say never, though i cant see it ever being in Cradley heath as such.

6. Birmingham and Wolverhampton are barely viable, so where is there room for another Club in the midst of that as I see very few Cradley fans (30-40 in 2019) at either track and Cradleys gates last year were probably below 500. Cradley are not just another club, again how many (30-40) attend the sport in general, I would suggest that age bracket and younger are/were the first to get disilusioned with the lack of (finding a track) progress, their were/are many reasons why the gates fell to under 500 that would take to long to answer here, I myself am one of the stay aways.

7. The horse sadly has bolted. The horse hasnt bolted, but its certainly lame ;).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I plan on working that number out later today

I’ve just counted 83 declared in this year’s teams so realistically we’d need 50 Australians and continentals to base themselves here to have a real difference in standards between the two leagues.

Edit: or did I count 87?

Edited by DC2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Nicely argued. But is doing nothing an option?

No one is saying to do nothing. However, I don't think tinkering with the league structure, race format or eligibility of riders will make one iotas difference to the number of paying customers thorough the turnstiles.

The answer in my mind is marketing. You can fluff up the product as much as you want, but if no one knows about it then you'll only ever be attracting a diminishing number of diehard fans.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MattK said:

Yes, it is indisputable. You can pick two teams and compare them, (I think the 2007 team would beat the 2019 team) however every time the points limit is below 42, which it has been numerous times in the last decade, the league gets watered down.

Not necessarily. Because a 6 point veteran on the way down can be replaced with a 4 point youngster on the way up, restoring parity midway through the following season.

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I’ve just counted 83 declared in this year’s teams so realistically we’d need 50 Australians and continentals to base themselves here to have a real difference in standards between the two leagues.

That count is not far away, there was a count done a few weeks ago on another thread, in fact it may have been you that did the count..

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Really i think not.

But things you say about the sport are as insightful as having a chat about speedway with a tin of sardines, don’t at me - you’re an idiot 

2 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

But things you say about the sport are as insightful as having a chat about speedway with a tin of sardines, don’t at me - you’re an idiot 

Sidney isn’t an idiot.

But you are rude and unpleasant.

• Like 2

Just now, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

True, that’s an insult to idiots. I apologies to all idiots, see, you’re wrong, I am pleasant.

Anyone who is consistently rude and unpleasant is an idiot.

Your next post will undoubtedly confirm my point.  :)

• Like 1

Just now, DC2 said:

Anyone who is consistently rude and unpleasant is an idiot.

Your next post will undoubtedly confirm my point.  :)

You’re lovely and really knowledgable about the sport. 

1 minute ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

You’re lovely and really knowledgable about the sport. 

Of course, one sometimes comes across an idiot in disguise.  :)

Just now, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

That’s two consecutive posts - consistently being rude and unpleasant, so using your own definition that makes lil old you a bit of an idiot, dumb ass 

There you are. A leopard can’t change it’s spots. Or hide them for very long.

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

There you are. A leopard can’t change it’s spots. Or hide them for very long.

And you’ve joined me down here in the gutter, didn’t take long for the sh it to stick did it, you cheeky wee idiot.

• Haha 1