British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow v Kent Friday 21 May 2021- live stream

9 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Most of the posts I've read on this forum suggests streaming has a place in the sport even when we get back to normal particularly for away fans. Did any Kent fans purchase a ticket to see their team's first ever match in the Championship?

It would be interesting to see where the viewing audience geographically came from. The streaming company will have this from their analytics but it would be good to know how many away fans tuned in. I would also be interested in watching some of Glasgow's away matches if live streaming was available.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Most of the posts I've read on this forum suggests streaming has a place in the sport even when we get back to normal particularly for away fans. Did any Kent fans purchase a ticket to see their team's first ever match in the Championship?

I also posted this on the Kent 2020 thread and had no response. 

Its an interesting one from a club point of view.

If you allow live streaming once crowd restrictions are lifted it may well result in more people watching due to on line coverage but at what cost? And how do you police it?  If someone within travelling distance takes you up on the live stream, it costs the club in real terms.  It could be three or four people watching - thats basically free admission for all bar one person - plus you lose out on takings at the bar, at the snack outlets, for programmes, half time draw tickets, souvenirs.

Yes there will be people watching who perhaps wouldnt live but the numbers would not make up for potential loss of income.

If you advertise for away fans or for say fans over 50 miles from the track, how do you police it?  In todays internet market of VPNs its impossible.  How would you make sure it was only away fans who used it?  Maybe some sort of arrangement amongst the clubs (ha! yeah right! lol) where their season ticket holders get to buy through their own club who know where they live?  How is that fair though to fans who pay per meeting? Whats to stop friends from different tracks 'making an arrangment' or sharing the feed?

Much as I have loved having on line streaming from all sorts of sports over the pandemic, in the real post covid world I am not sure that there is any way it would work for the clubs.

Happy to be proven wrong :) 

• Like 2