British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole. 1st September 2021

A generally appalling advert for Speedway, any newcomers tonight (and the crowd was better than the last few weeks) won't be in a hurry to return, couldn't really be helped by the hour plus delay following the heat 1 coming together of Nielsen & Grobauer.  Speedy recovery for Nielsen.  Haven't been feeling great and almost didn't go tonight, I wish I hadn't!  The M6 was much improved on the way there compared to recent weeks but again down to one lane after Wednesbury where I decided to get off.

Hats off to Danny King, two superb first corner moves to get the better of Harris & Riss who'd got the better of him out the gate in his first two rides, an excellent pass of Morris in this third ride and a dominant heat 13 win.  That was the only pass of the night aside from Riss getting the better of a generally uninterested looking Schlein in heat 13.  Can't believe it's the same rider as I saw on Monday at the NSS, was he under power when heat 1 was halted, maybe, if he was he was going very slow!  Not at all interested in chasing anyone in his second & third rides

Couldn't see a great deal wrong with the track if I'm honest but the Poole riders seemed to insist there was and the tractor went to work on bends 3 & 4.

About what any regular Perry Barr attendees would expect from the Brummies septet except for Harris who looked slow on the bike that gave up in heat 13, was much quicker on the bike he used in heat 15.  Thomas had a good outing in heat 8 but that was it.  Castagna only dropped points to King & Worrall. Morris & Shanes improved after conceding a 1-5 in their opening ride.  Grobauer beat no-one, may have injury affected following fall but I doubt it, that's about all I expect from him.

For Poole, Worrall was good, the very busy Hume had the beating of Thomas but no other Brummie but did at least he gave Shanes & Morris something to think about in heat 5 and Cook did nothing after an impressive opening ride.

Who knows what the result would have been if Nielsen hadn't got injured or if Poole had named a #8 so didn't have to go with 3 riders in several heats but they could still have won if Schlein had shown the form he showed on Monday.

Edited by Col

2 hours ago, the hobbit said:

Graham  Drury has just done an interview and congratulated the Brummies on producing , quote : “ a superbly prepared track tonight “. 

In fairness he's hardly going to say "the tracks diabolical" over the tannoy.....

Good win for Birmingham even allowing for Poole losing Nielsen, but it's a long time since I've seen so much processional racing in a meeting 

10 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

The internet must be down around the Poole area tonight, very quiet glug glug.

Give them chance to get home, they've probably only just made it to the M5 considering how bad the traffic is around Perry Barr with the Commonwealth Games infrastructure upgrades.

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No kidding. Track is bumpy as hell. Seriously. 

Should have suited Poole then 

• Haha 1

Why was Ben Cook riding at 4 tonight? Has he ridden 4 away meetings? Per BSPL green sheet @ 01/09/21 he is still on 4pt assessed average and Stefan Nilsen on 4.51

Was Gary Havelock the team manager tonight? 

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

He turned when it mattered in Ht 15

It didn't matter, Morris & Castagna getting a 5-1 in heat 14 meant Brummies had won.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

I would suggest 9 from 4 completed rides is far from” not showing up”.Every point matters for different reasons.IMO.

2 points first two rides, 3 riders, ahead of the generally appalling Grobauer.
2 points in heat 10, beat Cook, Thomas packed up at the gate. If Brummies had a savvy team manager Castagna might have given Worrall something to think about in that heat.
Bike quit in heat 13 chasing the uninterested Schein.

Much improved in heat 15 when it was all over.

32 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Why was Ben Cook riding at 4 tonight? Has he ridden 4 away meetings? Per BSPL green sheet @ 01/09/21 he is still on 4pt assessed average and Stefan Nilsen on 4.51

Was Gary Havelock the team manager tonight? 

Cook has new average, after 4 meetings home & away apparently. 5.85.

No. Squeaky voiced annoying ginger Middleditch was interviewed at the scene of the world worst 500cc "contest"

Edited by Col

Just got back to Poole and wondered why I bothered. Awful meeting devoid of any real racing other than Danny King.

First of all, and most importantly, get well soon to Stefan who I have heard is suffering from broken ribs, a punctured lung and a broken collarbone. Stefan has been a major player in this Pirates side and will no doubt be sadly missed for the remainder of the season. Get well soon and I for one would like to see him back with us next season. A nasty tumble along with Grobauer into the 4th bend fence.

I thought the track was bumpy, wavy someone else called it. Riders were gating, going out wide and that was it. No passing all meeting. Riders who failed to make the gate, forget it. Gate and go. Very, very boring. It didn’t help that our number one was appalling tonight and cost us a win. Already down Ben Basso and before the first lap of heat one Stefan, Rory rode very much within himself. Beaten by Shanes and Morris with ease is not good enough. 5-1’d twice with ease. Looked disinterested. Is he under orders from Peter Adams to ride within himself? 

After being reduced to a 5 man team and only having one rider out in two heats, it became apparent that tonight wasn’t going to be our night but really we deserved a point, and even that eluded us. No faulting Danny King and Steve Worrall. Cook tried but is not a gater and neither is Danyon, who tried all night but just couldn’t get out of the starts. The Brum riders are dialled in and with track conditions as they were, there was no catching once they gated. 

The man o the tannoy was shouting how wonderful it was to send Poole home with no points. That may be so but one is in hospital in a poor state. He said that Brum can still make the playoffs. I hope they do do we can pick them.

A decent crowd I thought. But no atmosphere to speak of. And other than the result they can’t have gone home thrilled.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rest of the UK are thrilled to see you beat tho Shovlar :D

Stefan's injuries aside of course :(

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Morris got double guesting for Redcar ;)

My post says 'at home' .......

Sounds like a very frustrating/boring meeting for all those that attended last night......

Can I just point out that I watched a so called 'mouth-watering' clash in the Prem on Monday night Wolves  v Belle Vue and though the track had no issues, the match was as boring as hell....

Leon Flint providing the only real entertainment (buzzing around at the back and not really having the skill to pass).....

(P.s if anything exciting happened after Heat 8, then I stand corrected, as I turned it off at that point....)

Not to mention the 'processional' racing at 'Togliatti' in the Grand Prix at the weekend.

Speedway as a spectacle is 'dire' right now.

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Col said:

Cook has new average, after 4 meetings home & away apparently. 5.85.

No. Squeaky voiced annoying ginger Middleditch was interviewed at the scene of the world worst 500cc "contest"

Thanks, should have known the BSPL website green sheets weren't up to date. Even the preview listed Ben Cook at reserve. 

That'll weaken Poole now.

21 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Sounds like a very frustrating/boring meeting for all those that attended last night......

Can I just point out that I watched a so called 'mouth-watering' clash in the Prem on Monday night Wolves  v Belle Vue and though the track had no issues, the match was as boring as hell....

Leon Flint providing the only real entertainment (buzzing around at the back and not really having the skill to pass).....

(P.s if anything exciting happened after Heat 8, then I stand corrected, as I turned it off at that point....)

Not to mention the 'processional' racing at 'Togliatti' in the Grand Prix at the weekend.

Speedway as a spectacle is 'dire' right now.

Sad to say I left with very much the same feeling of inevitability about the sport and Brummie specific.

I think Peter and David are just trying to limp to the end of the season and to get out as financially sound as they can.

A pretty reliable source has told me that Laurence is working on something for next year with some speedway people who will come in and whilst that's encouraging and positive its only going to be a winter of uncertainty  if true.

The issues with the track remain and the new manager of the Stadium seems hell bent on making life as tough as possible.

If rumours of a watered down 2nd tier are correct I'm not sure how many will see it as attractive enough to watch, especially in 2022 when we'll be surrounded (literally) with a major Global Event just up the road and all of the security and access issues that will cause. 

Can only enjoy the final few weeks whilst we can.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HGould said:

Sad to say I left with very much the same feeling of inevitability about the sport and Brummie specific.

I think Peter and David are just trying to limp to the end of the season and to get out as financially sound as they can.

A pretty reliable source has told me that Laurence is working on something for next year with some speedway people who will come in and whilst that's encouraging and positive its only going to be a winter of uncertainty  if true.

The issues with the track remain and the new manager of the Stadium seems hell bent on making life as tough as possible.

If rumours of a watered down 2nd tier are correct I'm not sure how many will see it as attractive enough to watch, especially in 2022 when we'll be surrounded (literally) with a major Global Event just up the road and all of the security and access issues that will cause. 

Can only enjoy the final few weeks whilst we can.

What as the new stadium manager got to do with the track? They can go in on a Sunday all day and Wednesdays all day, so don't understand what you're saying?