British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

It is over 30 years since I did my marketing degree, but many premises still remain...

Does one of them include "know your market"?

Which includes doing research into what people want, what they expect, etc etc? Ever seen a speedway promotion doing market research? And, no, not of the existing fan base, but of people who aren't fans? Finding out what it will take to convert a passer-by into an attendee?

Surely to grow the fan base, that's an essential first step. After that, mould the product to what the public are prepared to buy into, and NOT  just regurgitate the same product that was offered up in the 1970's on a take it or leave it basis.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Does one of them include "know your market"?

Which includes doing research into what people want, what they expect, etc etc? Ever seen a speedway promotion doing market research? And, no, not of the existing fan base, but of people who aren't fans? Finding out what it will take to convert a passer-by into an attendee?

Surely to grow the fan base, that's an essential first step. After that, mould the product to what the public are prepared to buy into, and NOT  just regurgitate the same product that was offered up in the 1970's on a take it or leave it basis.

May have read this wrong....but speedway in the 70's was far more appealing/entertaining than speedway of today...IMO

Is it just me or do Brummies fans think the club could be struggling to find any heat leaders? I know fans have said Smolinski, Ellis ect but they do not want to ride in Championship.  

Getting back on thread....what would B'ham fans preference be to how we utilise the remaining 20.51 points to complete the team?

2.5 on a reserve and 2 X 9.00 riders?

That would certainly make for a strong line-up and change people's opinion of us finishing bottom.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Trackerman48 said:

Is it just me or do Brummies fans think the club could be struggling to find any heat leaders? I know fans have said Smolinski, Ellis ect but they do not want to ride in Championship.  

The line from the club is

" Don't Panic "

Well i am .

1 minute ago, Trackerman48 said:

Money talks....and any rider would ride in the Championship for the right wage...'I believe'!

Smolinski/Covatti would be my choices.

Adam Ellis is riding Denmark, so how would he fit in?

1 minute ago, Brummies_Ste said:

The line from the club is

" Don't Panic "

Well i am .

I'm not....LR knows his stuff and he also knows that fans wont turn up to watch garbage...

2 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Getting back on thread....what would B'ham fans preference be to how we utilise the remaining 20.51 points to complete the team?

2.5 on a reserve and 2 X 9.00 riders?

That would certainly make for a strong line-up and change people's opinion of us finishing bottom.

OK GiveusaB but can you name riders to fill 9.00 point?

8 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I'm not....LR knows his stuff and he also knows that fans wont turn up to watch garbage...

It's not about LR as you say knowing his stuff, there are riders out there but the big question is will they ride over here? Think 99% don't.  The riders you have said come into that. 

32 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

OK GiveusaB but can you name riders to fill 9.00 point?

No, because I don't know what B'ham's budget is ?

21 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

It's not about LR as you say knowing his stuff, there are riders out there but the big question is will they ride over here? Think 99% don't.  The riders you have said come into that. 

When I say 'he knows his stuff'.....I dont mean that he can magic quality riders up...I believe that he knows what a reasonable mid-table side requires.

Nigel has publically said he's put a sum in as a one-off investment and that's it ;not going to be an annual event.

It's not going to be a Promotion that can just write a blank cheque every year to cover losses like the majority seem to do and find some kind of warped glory in admitting it.

That suggests (a) prudence (b) a need to try to break even.

There are plenty of examples of well meaning Promoters who have lost money by letting heart rule heads and trying to keep up with allegedly bigger Clubs who have benefactors (private or corporate) who see Speedway as a play thing. It's too easy to lose the lot very quickly or to lose too much to continue as Peter and David who did a great job and worked their nuts off found out.

Can't stress enough times that Brummies will have to cut their cloth very carefully.

It boils down to what do those fans they can attract really want??

A team that can compete at the top end of the League that almost certainly costs too much?

A team that can win enough at home and can deliver entertainment enough to retain support and attract a few more to keep the ship afloat?

As others have said or suggested, the best investment will be in a track that can consistently deliver entertaining speedway and not putting silly money or stupid guarantees in to mercenaries who will turn up and not give 100% as they will simply be looking for the next pay day if it goes belly up. 

Back Nigel and the new management, you know it makes sense. 

20 minutes ago, HGould said:

Nigel has publically said he's put a sum in as a one-off investment and that's it ;not going to be an annual event.

It's not going to be a Promotion that can just write a blank cheque every year to cover losses like the majority seem to do and find some kind of warped glory in admitting it.

That suggests (a) prudence (b) a need to try to break even.

There are plenty of examples of well meaning Promoters who have lost money by letting heart rule heads and trying to keep up with allegedly bigger Clubs who have benefactors (private or corporate) who see Speedway as a play thing. It's too easy to lose the lot very quickly or to lose too much to continue as Peter and David who did a great job and worked their nuts off found out.

Can't stress enough times that Brummies will have to cut their cloth very carefully.

It boils down to what do those fans they can attract really want??

A team that can compete at the top end of the League that almost certainly costs too much?

A team that can win enough at home and can deliver entertainment enough to retain support and attract a few more to keep the ship afloat?

As others have said or suggested, the best investment will be in a track that can consistently deliver entertaining speedway and not putting silly money or stupid guarantees in to mercenaries who will turn up and not give 100% as they will simply be looking for the next pay day if it goes belly up. 

Back Nigel and the new management, you know it makes sense. 

Well said!

Birmingham had a lot of close meetings last year that went down to the last few heats, and with the likes of Harris and Riss in heats 13 and 15 there was always a chance they could win. Add to that some needle matches with other teams moaning about the track creating atmosphere, pit walks, track walks with the riders and kids entertainment, we still struggled to get decent crowds in. 

Other than what they were doing, I can't see how they will get the numbers required through the turnstiles. But I hope they do because its a smashing club and we all want them to survive and continue for many years to come. 

• Like 1