British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SwineTown

Swindon - The Blunsdon Abbey Stadium

Guest SwineTown

I would love to see some early picture of the abbey stadium during meetings from early 80s and late 70s and anything before. ANy links out there? Not much in my older programmes.

anything would be appreciated! (60s, 50s!!??)

How about THIS? It's a short video clip of the first ever meeting at Blunsdon - V Oxford in 1949.

Guest SwineTown

Grachan - where did you get the clip from? ANything else for me to pinch?! :D

It's from a video called 'Aces of Yesteryear', which has loads of old clips from various tracks.

I haven't got anything else from mdi-80s or before I'm afraid. I'd love to see some 70s stuff myself, as that was when I started going and it would be great to see Martin Ashby and Bob Kilby on top form round the Abbey one more time. Be great to see Shawn McConnell as a Robin again too. I remember TV were there filming a match agains Coventry when he was in the team. I think it was one of the epic Midland Cup ties which kept finishing level, so I'd love to see that.

I have a few late 80s videos though, if they're of any interest. There's a couple from Screensport, and a couple of Swindon videos such as the 1967 team 'Champs are back' meeting in the late 80s. That was a good evening. Before heat one I was wondering if Bob Kilby would still be able to show his suberb gating skills from the past. THIS is what happened.

It's from a video called 'Aces of Yesteryear', which has loads of old clips from various tracks.

Any ideas about where it can be obtained please Grachan.

I am convinced my Father is in that video, but need a clearer copy.

He was Captain of Oxford in 1949.

# Name Removed #

You can get it from http://www.bellevuezoo.co.uk

If you select the 'Speedway' menu it brings up a whole load of archive videos for sale. I've bought 3 of them and they're all very interesting. The one featuring Swindon v Oxford is No 6 in the Aces of Yesteryear series.

Edited by Grachan

Guest SwineTown

Grachan,

many thanks for response and new video. I'm at work at present so i cant download the Kilby clip but I will check out his gating tonight.

Just imagine, in 50 years time (if speedway survives) people will be able to look back at full TV coverage and interviews of EL meetings and club videos. Imagine watching the equivalent for say, the robins historic 1967 campaign!

regards,

ST