British Speedway Forum
Old Saint

Southampton

Is it possible for you to pass on my best wishes to Alby and his wife. Thanks Dave.

Of course I will if I can Dave.

Any name or address that you would like mentioned?

If you or any other readers on here wish to send Alby a card or message, please send it to me at the following:-

Alby Golden

c/o # Name Removed #

PO Box 266

Southampton

SO40 3XW

I will make sure that they get to Joan.

D C

Sad news is that Alby Golden is very ill,

Sad to hear this. I last saw him at the Saints event at Fair Oak (the Welcome Inn). Suffice to say, he was as amenable as ever and still as enthusiastic as anyone. Get well soon Alby.

Edited by Sotonian

Sad news is that Alby Golden is very ill,

Sad to hear this. I last saw him at the Saints event at Fair Oak (the Welcome Inn). Suffice to say, he was as amenable as ever and still as enthusiastic as anyone. Get well soon Alby.

Yes, that was a good afternoon.

I think we had Maurice there along with Alby, Jack Vallace, Bill Holden, Stuart Wallace and even Tom Misselbrook came along.

I remember Brian Brett ringing half way through the afternoon to say he was sorry he couldn't make it. I did see Brian at Weymouth a few weeks back when we (Wimbledon) were down there for a League match - he hasn't really changed much.

You may find this interesting (link at bottom of page), it's an old site that I ran when we were doing all the second halves and challenge matches. NB: The EMAIL link is now not working.

If anyone wants Badges, scarves or Programmes, I still have some at nominal charge.

David.

http://www.treadmillsandrunningmachines.co.uk/stindex.htm

I would definitely be interested in the badges,but what is a nominal charge :unsure:

Any news on Briggo.Heard the sad news about his wife.Is he still involved in speedway at all?

Edited by iris123

I would definitely be interested in the badges,but what is a nominal charge

I'VE GOT TO FIND THEM FIRST - BUT SAY £3 EACH TO INCLUDE POSTAGE

Any news on Briggo.Heard the sad news about his wife.Is he still involved in speedway at all?

HAVEN'T SEEN BARRY OR THE BOYS SINCE JUNIE'S MEMORIAL SERVICE EARLIER THIS YEAR.

AM INTENDING TO CONTACT TONY SO I CAN LET BARRY KNOW ABOUT ALBY.

What a pleasant surprise to read about the Saints again, it's nice to know that there are other old fans of Bannister Road still around.

My memories go back to the late 40's when we had Jimmy Squibb, Alf Kaines, George Bason, Pete Lansdale, Alf Bottoms, Tom & Bob Oakley, Cecil Bailey, then there was my favorite, Phil Bishop.

I still love Speedway, until 2 years ago I was a regular at Poole but now it's just the TV and this forum, plus my memories.

Happy days

I`m now living in Germany if the price still goes for postage here then i will send the money off.

Pass on my condolences when you speak to Briggo.He was one of my heroes in my younger days.It doesn`t surprise me what you said about the Golden Greats meeting,he was simply a star and one of the best there was at promoting the sport to the outside world.

peatbog, I remember Jimmy Squibb riding and that was in the Fifties :) I often heard my father talk about the other riders you mention.

It seems that once the Saints and Banister Court got into your blood, you were hooked for ever. Do any of you remember the "war chant"? How about when Briggo joined and wore a black and white jersey. Someone decided he should have a red and white instead and knitted him one. Briggo's luck seemed to change for the worst when he started to wear the new jersey and, if I remember correctly, he publicly burnt it.

Whenever I hear the "March of the Gladiators" memories of The Stadium come rushing back.

We used to sit in the County Stand (could not afford the Grandstand) and I recall peeking under the seats to get a view of the County Cricket :).

David, I would be interested to hear what you have.

Best wishes to all,

Malcolm

Dave

Please pass on my best wishes to Alby I still remember him blasting around the railway bend at Newport I can say he was one of my favourite riders.

I would be interested in a badge and whatever programmes you may have, please let me know the cost.

Thanks Richard

it was sad tor ead about alby being ill, and please pass my best wishes on, im sure all old wasps fans remember him with a great deal of affection..

i remember him as my first idol when i was 7 at newport, he always seemed pleased to be signing my autograph books photos etc, a real gentleman...

Many thanks for the cards. I will try and get them to Joan this weekend.

On another note, for those of you in the South, Southampton Show is on this weekend, and a display of Speedway Bikes and Race Jackets will be there.

Worth a visit if you are not too far away.

David.

Guest mart W

Very sad news indeed about Alby, my first speedway hero in 64 when Somerton Park opened, lets hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Apart from 'The Stadium, Southampton' book by CR Bailey, there is another book which is called 'A Dangerous Life', the speedway life story of Chum Taylor, published in Australia in 1986. I managed to pick up a copy a few years ago at Poole, only because there is a picture on the front cover of Chum in an Oxford race jacket! But, by its very nature, there is much on his years at Southampton and some pictures as well.

Ah, memories! My Uncle used to go on about Dick Bradley at Bristol (and Johnnie Hole) and I remember seeing Southampton several times at Oxford. Sadly I never got to either track, they both closed before I was old enough to start getting out and about.

I did see DC's team in a second half at Poole one time which brought back some memories. What a boon it would be if a track opened in Southampton again!

Regards

Hi LadyOM

I remember your dad Dick Bradley when he rode for Bristol with Billy Hole Jack Unstead Eric Salmon Roger Wise but your dad was always my star & after bristol closed i used to watch him sometimes at southampton I also remember him being team manger at swindon Please give him my best wishes for all the happy memories of bristol bulldogs

Hi to you all again, I printed these pages off for Dad to read and he did so with great interest, he would like to pass on his thanks for all your best wishes.

Old Saint, Dad talks fondly of Ernie Rawlins and his shock when they were told of the seriousness of his injuries, he is the proud owner of the Ernie Rawlins memorial trophy. Dad remembers being a coffin bearer at the funeral and was honoured to take over as captain of the Saints.

Hello # Name Removed #, I have read many of your postings on the forum. What a coincidence this thread was started the same day as the VSRA lunch, I have a chat with Ian Williams at Blunsdon each week and he was telling me what a good time they had. I know Dad would enjoy these occasions, maybe I can persuade him?

He was interested to hear of the riders you mentioned and obviously very sad to hear of Alby's illness.

I enjoy reading all your comments and memories, it's nice to know Dad is remembered so well.

Regards to you all Yvonne.