British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Star

Crashes and Smashes

Firstly, my apologies to everyone for not reading the initial thread correctly. Being reminded of fatal accidents is never pleasant and I should have known better.

As to my friend from Hackney, I did see some good meetings at Hackney (particularly if Barry Thomas was riding) although alas I wasn't present for what I still believe to be the biggest away win in British League history:

Hackney 22 Wimbledon 56 (May 1979, if I recall correctly)

I bet you were waiting for that one...........

Don't wish to go off topic but as you already have: Swindon 21 Oxford 56 is one louder.

Got to agree that the Danny Bird / Mark Simmonds crash was horrendous looking as was the sight of Simmo sailing through the air and landing in someone's back garden behind the first bend at the County ground.

Also remember a second half crash at Hackney that saw Lee Pavitt (son of current IOW co-promoter Dave) fly through the air with the greatest of ease clearing the six foot high safety fence and nigh on landing on the dog track exiting the second bend at Waterden Road.

Edited by Bryn

Cannot remember the year but remember Reg Wilson and Gary Gugliemi going through the fence on the third turn at Sheffield in the old second half meeting.

I f I remember Reg walk away with bruising, but Gugliemi broke his arm.

Cannot remember the year but remember Reg Wilson and Gary Gugliemi going through the fence on the third turn at Sheffield in the old second half meeting.

1982 - how either of them wasn't injured further still amazes me to this day.

We've had a few shockers - Carl Blackbird/Simon Green in 1991 and Roman Matousek/Robert Nagy in 1996 are both notorious.

Edited by Tigerblade

win in British League history:

Hackney 22 Wimbledon 56 (May 1979, if I recall correctly)

I bet you were waiting for that one...........

Nah - I'm too young to remember! ;):D

Tigerblade - if the Simon Green crash is the one I'm thinking of I still remember getting the phone call from Maureen - a horrendous few days.

Darren Mallett at Buxton was shocking to watch, really shook me up.

Also Steve Clarke and Michael Mitchell at Sheffield last month. Both riders together going down the back straight and MM I think got ahead of SC and they just tangled up. No one's fault mind you, just one of those things. I knew that it was a bad one when you see bike, rider, bike, rider etc cartwheeling along. If you read the speedway star recently with SC's analysis of his injuries etc, he was a very very lucky lad. Hope he's recovering well.

I also remember seeing David Howe at Peterborough once come off on the pits bend and he literally slid along the top of the fence with his chin, got a nasty cut if I remember too.

Guest secondsigning

On a lighter note, I remember the after effects of a pile up at Coventry back in the early 60's (or late 50's) There had been an incident in which the late Tad Teodorowicz (TEO for short) was injured on the second bend and as he was being carried across the centre green the music being played was "one finger, one thumb keep moving" Not the most apt of tunes following a smash, but we on the terraces saw the funny side of it.

Talking of this era, the sight of dear Les Owen rolling the length of the home straight after collecting the fence coming off the fourth bend is still a vivid recollection

Rest in peace to both of these popular riders, along with all ex riders who I am sure are probably having recollections of their own at the gatherings at the big track in the sky.

1982 - how either of them wasn't injured further still amazes me to this day.

We've had a few shockers - Carl Blackbird/Simon Green in 1991 and Roman Matousek/Robert Nagy in 1996 are both notorious.

Cheers TigerBlade.

Richard Greens bike going out of control on its back wheeland chasing anything and everything that moved after he came off.

I remember that one. For some reason Greeny's cut-out never seemed to work. As I recall, he was planted on his bum on the track when the bike came after him looking for revenge. He was soon up and away then. :D

I also recall Mark Simmonds (who seems to be the crash king according to this thread) sliding across the top of the third bend fence with one leg either side. He travelled for a fair few metres sending a red light flying with sparks spraying everywhere.

Amazingly he walked away. Even more amazingly he still managed to father a child. :blink:

how about john davis at poole on the old track knocking down a light standard and walking away. of course he had the smash at bristol where his arm got caught over the fence, but i guess that doesnt fit with this thread because he sustained very serious injuries. lucky not to cut his arm off.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Strangest one I have seen (not in person but I do have a clip of an amateur video if anyone wants it) was Brendan Mackay at Gillman in Adelaide. One moment he was blasting down the back straight miles in front and then next moment he was in the air flying over the fence. No idea how he did it but it looked spectacular and I believe he wasn't badly hurt.

Amazingly he walked away. Even more amazingly he still managed to father a child. :blink:

ROFLMAO!!!

Sir L, I've seen the video of that and believe me, it's a slight trip in comparason with the Bird/Simmonds incident. That said, it was nasty and I think he broke his collarbone, a few week later he come over to the UK and signed for Reading ad claimed that the crash was the reason for his low scores, sadly (for him) on his return, the following season he crashed in his 2nd meeting and was replaced in the team and has ony rode in the odd CL meting since.

Anyone know what Brendon is up to these days? Is he here or in Oz? Is he riding anywhere? Or has he quit?

Other than the incident i mentioned when starting this thread, as far as Kings Lynn goes where i watched most of my speedway, the most memorable crash was back in the early seventies when a second half rider called Brian Emery reared coming out of the second bend and completely jumped the fence. Anyone else on here there that night ? It was remarkable you think he was at the Horse of the Year show he just jumped right over the fence think he suffered a broken leg and i believe that someone in the crowd was slightly injured. Anyone remember that one ?