British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
David_Furniture

Eastville, Bristol

Anybody got any action pictures of Speedway at this track?

My old man used to go all the time but I was too young, maybe not even born at the time the team folded and still till this day have never seen a clip of them in action.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Guest Scooterwolf

They only ran for 2 seasons I think so not many pics or stories of Eastville I suspect. I remember going there once and seeing the first test tube baby Louise Brown being introduced to the crowd as a tiny baby. Her dad I think was a Bulldogs fan. She is now over 21 I think so showing my age. Good luck hope you find what you are looking for. Any or pics of Phil Crump will point you in the right direction he was their star man.

Yep, my dad talks about Phil quite a bit.

Shame he decided to go back to Aus' with his boy... could have done with Crumpy riding for the Brits next weekend.

I'll still be cheering on the Bristol Boy though.

Cheers

I went to the opening meeting at Eastville. It wassomething of a disaster race wise, with several riders - including Martin Ashby, who I was a fan of - walking out because the track was so bad (they were effectively riding on the Greyhound track).

The crowd was huge though, and there was a traffic jam on the motorway, which passed behind the 1st & 2nd bends. People were actually stopping their cars to watch the racing.

Brings a tear to my eye those memories! We used to average 8000 every meeting, tremendous atmosphere. It was so popular the council decided to ban it! There was a recent publication advertised in Speedway Star 'History of Defunct Speedway Tracks' which covered Bristol, which covered both years 77 & 78.

Phil Crump, Steve Gresham, Tormod Langli, Nigel Boocock!! Cant believe it was 27 years ago!

I went to the opening meeting at Eastville. It wassomething of a disaster race wise, with several riders - including Martin Ashby, who I was a fan of - walking out because the track was so bad (they were effectively riding on the Greyhound track).

The crowd was huge though, and there was a traffic jam on the motorway, which passed behind the 1st & 2nd bends. People were actually stopping their cars to watch the racing.

Well I was that meeting too. We didn't meet then and we still haven't met now, all these years later!

We gave up a Friday meeting at Monmore too to go to Bristol. Historical note for younger fans, from 1961 to 1980 Wolves rode on Fridays. The facts are as you say. The reason the racing was so appaling was because it was a sand like surface on which you just could not turn.

To lose tracks when they they are poorly supported is one thing, but to lose them when they have huge support is terrible. The programme is in my collection somewhere.

Coincidentally I have said programme right here on my dusty old desk. It was one of a few oldies I found in the loft a short while ago and brought down to read.

Daily Mirror Open Tournament:

Edgar Stangeland: 0-2-3-F 5 (I seem to remember he broke his leg after helping build the track)

Vaclav Verner: 1-3-F-2-3 9

Peter Collins: 2-2-2-2-0 8

Ole Olsen: 3-2-3-3-3 14 (The Winner.)

Dave Jessup: 1 (withdrew) 1

John Titman: 0-0-2-1-1 4

Martin Ashby: 2 (withdrew. Better than Jessup though, which was all that mattered!) 2

Doug Wyer: 3-1-3-1-1 9

Chris Morton: e/f-0-0-0-2 2

Phil Crump: 3-2-1-3-3 12

Joe Owen: 1-1-1-0-2 5

Steve Gresham: 2-3-2-3-2 12

Ivan Mauger: 2-3-2-3-3 13

John Davis: 1-1-1-F 3

Scott Autrey: 3-3-3-2-2 13

John Louis: ef-0-0-1-1 2

Tom Leadbitter (Res): 1-0-1-0-F 2

I think that the efs by Louis & Morton in thier first riders were actually them pullingout of the race due to the surface, and their efforts after that were very half-hearted.

Phil Crump also beat John Louis 2-1 in the Golden Helmet.

Heat 13 result was: (Awarded) Gresham, Leadbitter (f-inj), Davis (f-inj) Stangeland (f-inj)!!

They experimented for the first few meetings with the sandy type surface which was also used for the dogs. It didnt work though and after a few meetings they were laying sand down for the dogs and taking it up for the bikes.

I dont think they ever cracked it though, but I recall Mauger, Olsen, Autrey etc never having a problem whenever they rode. Dave Jessup and Malcolm Simmons walked out though!

The campaign to keep the sport was massive and the petition got 100,000 signatures (yes one hundred thousend) and the council still banned it.

Quite bizarre.

I also recall that Good Ol' Bernie Leigh used to love it at Bristol.

My old man used to go all the time but I was too young, maybe not even born at the time the team folded and still till this day have never seen a clip of them in action.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

David,

There is a video available on the history of Bristol Speedway. You can get it HERE if you're interested.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

David,

There is a video available on the history of Bristol Speedway. You can get it HERE if you're interested.

Grachan - Thanks for the link mate I'll deffinatly have to get that, my old man will love it as well!

OldBulldog - Who do you follow now? Do you still live in Bristol?

It is somewhat unfortunate that a new location for Bristol has been rejected only this week.The local management were in favour,but the National board of Directors

rejected the idea saying somewhat shortsightedly in my opinion.That the idea of Speedway did not tie in with there future ongoing plans for the site.

This site was around 14 miles from the old Eastville site,and overlooked Bristol.:sad:

Edited by greyhoundp

Did the trip to Newport a few times a couple of years ago but havent been for a while! Tried Somerset once too, but neither was like supporting your home team.

The sad thing about Eastville is that after a massive campaign by the supporters, planning permission WAS eventually obtained after several applications were put forward by the fans. Conveniently enough however, Bristol Stadium Ltd gave an undertaking that they would not allow speedway at the site and that was the final nail. Co promotor Wally Mawdsley took over Swindon the next season and promptly signed Crump and Gresham knowing full well the Swindon crowds would be boosted massively by the Bristol fans - and he was right (for a while)

Bristol Stadium Ltd also kicked Bristol Rovers FC out in the mid 80s.

Just to prove how sport loving the council are, they did all in their power to prevent Rovers returning to Bristol at the Memorial Stadium Rugby Ground in 1996. It was only when the Council solicitor allegedly told the Councillors that legally they could not prevent it because the site was registered as a sports ground that they returned. Rovers took over ownership a couple of years later but strangely enough have found it difficult to upgrade the ground due to Council opposition!

The old Easville site is demolished and its place a monstrosity of a building known as IKEA. Imagine the traffic......but lets not go there as it winds me up even now!

Speedway will never return to Bristol unless there is a massive change in Council attitude. The Colours may change over the years but the attitude doesn't.

Old bulldog the site i refer to is a current sports site that overlooks Bristol and is to the East,not under Bristol council.But its gone for now as i said in an earlier post would have been ideal,i will whisper it now "Lansdowne"i had a couple of site meetings the manager there used to be at the millenium stadium.

I will return to my efforts at Cradley but tell me Old Bulldog what Council is Swainswick under?,that aint to far really is it?.

Edited by greyhoundp

Interesting.....Swanswick comes under Bath & North East Somerset Council (same as the other site). Bit of an unknown quantity to me as far as these kinds of developments go, though I do know there has been talk of relocating Bath Rugby club fron their town centre ground.

Best of luck.....keep at it !! :)