British Speedway Forum
Guest Naz_griff

Welsh speedway

Wales vs Young America/USA would be something different!

The Americans have been in contact with Carmarthen in the hope that a meeting can be fixed up next year during their tour of the U.K.

Also Nigel Meakins is hoping to arrange a Four Nations Tournament, as he has before, at the end of the season. England v Scotland v Wales v R.o.W.

All welcome, even Billabong :P

Isnt that the same date as Frede Schott testimonial at Edinburgh????

And any idea who will be riding at Glenns meeting ?

From the testimonial poster Cunny has e-mailed me :

Jason ( & Phil!!) Crump, Leigh Adams, Shane Parker. Mark Lemon, Craig Boyce, Craig Watson, Brent Werner, Phil Morris, Leigh Lanham --so far

Plus Sunday Sport glamour model Vikki Thomas.

£10 adults, £6 concessions, £3.50 children.

Friday September 24th @ 7.30 @ Oak Tree Arena, Highbridge.

OOooooooOOOOHHHHHH, I liked Wato, until I saw that! ;)

Very clever, get Wato there and hope to drag along a few Newport fans :)

Looks like a VERY good line up so far.

Didn't realise this was the issue, maybe the FIM need to understand that Great Britain is made up of different nations

It's no different to the situation in Spain and Denmark, and to a certain extent, in Germany and the Netherlands. The FIM goes by internationally-recognised countries, and Scotland and Wales are part of the UK for this purpose. Furthermore, once you start going down this road, international competition would soon be turned into little more than inter-regional competition.

It's true that the home nations compete separately in some sports (e.g. football and rugby), but that's because those sports were invented here and it was some time before they were taken-up by foreign countries.

I think it would be good for our sport if the Scots or Welsh can try and get one over the English or vise-versa

I can't say that I would be opposed to a domestic international series, but unfortunately, I'm not sure that Scotland and Wales would offer much competition to England at the present time. A dedicated Scotland-Wales series would be more realistic.

Isn't the whole Britain/England thing full of strange exceptions.Thinking of the Olympics,Boxers from N.Ireland are in the Republic's team.Derry City play in the League of Ireland,Berwick in Scotland.Celtic want to play in the Premier League.Britain don`t enter the Olympic football competition basically because they want to keep the power that they get from individual representation.You would have thought though seeing as International matches were basically started in Britain,speedway wise that Scotland could still be represented.They must have been affiliated through the British A.C.U in the 70's so why the change?

Isn't the whole Britain/England thing full of strange exceptions.

It largely depends on the governing body of the sport in question. In rugby and motorcycle racing, the Irish federations cover the whole of Ireland, in cricket, the ECB covers both England and Wales, whilst in football there are separate federations for each home nation.

Derry City play in the League of Ireland,Berwick in Scotland.Celtic want to play in the Premier League.

I don't see any problem with cross-border or British (Isles) competition. The top teams in Scotland, Wales and Ireland desperately need some proper competition, and it would also help the smaller teams in those countries who are bankrupting themselves trying to compete with the likes of Rangers and Celtic.

Britain don`t enter the Olympic football competition basically because they want to keep the power that they get from individual representation.

I don't believe that Britain entering the Olympic football tournament would compromise the status of the separate home nations in the World Cup. This is already guaranteed by the FIFA statutes which are pretty unchangeable, so I suspect the real reason for our non-participation is simply the disruption it would cause to the domestic leagues.

You would have thought though seeing as International matches were basically started in Britain,speedway wise  that Scotland could still be represented.

There's nothing to stop bi-lateral test matches being arranged between Scotland and other countries as they don't have any official status. However, for FIM competitions, Scotland will have to become an independent country first.

They must have been affiliated through the British A.C.U in the 70's so why the change?

The ACU used to represent the whole of the Commonwealth (including Australia and New Zealand), and riders from the different constituent countries used to represent Great Britain. It was then decided that each Commonwealth country (including Scotland) would track separate teams, but they all met in a qualifying round to decide which of the teams would represent the ACU in the latter stages of the World Team Cup.

By the time Australia (and later New Zealand) formed their own federations, Scotland no longer had good enough riders to warrant a separate team, so England carried on alone, even though it was the official British team. Scottish and Wales riders could still be selected, and did on occasions ride.

Of course, the complication is the World Pairs Final in which both Scotland and England appeared one year. It would seem the rules for this competition were more relaxed than for other FIM competitions, and the addition of extra teams may have simply been a way of making-up the numbers. The fact that other countries tracked B-teams in certain rounds, would appear to verify this assertion.

Guest bispham_seasider

Hello, first post here, so here goes. I'm English, but the World Cup team were Team GB and that is who I supported. It seems to me that Billabong is just doing a good job of deliberately winding you guys up, and people are falling for it.

Good answer Kevin :D My point though is exceptions have and will be made,why is the F.I.M being so strict.Even this year there were 'B' teams to make up the numbers.I can't see any other such situations arising as Belgium can't get a team let alone a Flemish one or a Catalonian team seeking a place.

it gave me great pleasure(as much as scoring a full house) at reading last night to see and be involved in young Welshman Jamie Westacott's first paid win for the reading racers, and he 100% deserved his man of the meeting trophy from sponsors EUPHONY who also sponsor him personally

must be the first ever welsh 5-1 in the premier I would think:)

Phil

www.philmorris-racing.com

My point though is exceptions have and will be made,why is the F.I.M being so strict.

The FIM statutes actually state 'All nations in the world may be represented in the FIM, but each by only one FMN'. The question is how you define a nation, and for this, most international organisations defer to the UN-derived list of countries and territories (on which Scotland and Wales do not appear). If they didn't, you end-up with all sort of nationalist groups claiming to represent all sorts of entities.

Okay, speedway only involves a handful of countries, but the FIM is responsible for other forms of motorcycle competition as well, and probably needs to be consistent.

Even this year there were 'B' teams to make up the numbers.

That was in the UEM Pairs competition, and the 'B' teams were entered by host nations of the Semi-Finals to make-up a shortfall in numbers. I'm not sure that you can read anything into that.

it gave me great pleasure(as much as scoring a full house) at reading last night to see and be involved in young Welshman Jamie Westacott's first paid win for the reading racers, and he 100% deserved his man of the meeting trophy from sponsors EUPHONY who also sponsor him personally

must be the first ever welsh 5-1 in the premier I would think:)

Phil

www.philmorris-racing.com

Any thoughts on the meeting at Stralsund at the weekend? Was a bit dissapointed that the qualifying system allowed some riders to drop out of their last race. Are you coming over again soon?

Just an update to say that Carmarthen will be holding their Four Nations Tournament between Australia, England, Scotland and Wales on Saturday October 16 (time to be confirmed)

Further details regarding riders, times, etc, will be posted on the Four Nations thread under the Conference League heading.

Guest clivehitch

Liked the bike spin trick from young Browny of Stoke at Newcastle