British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mart W

Tyburn Gallows

I know it's a bit late to reply to this topic, but I am a newcomer, just registered today.

Dear old Tyburn Gallows was a second half rider for some time at West Ham in the sixties...he most often looped at the sarting gate or fell at some stage of most of his races, or was wexcluded for some misdemeanour. But he was a total entertainer who never gave up.

I can remember him actually lining up for the West Ham Hammers at no 7 reserve spot on 17 October 1967 in the last British League match of the season against Long Eaton Archers. He had two rides, but retired with engine failure in both. I still have the programme amongst my collection. It's just taken me 20 minutes to find it and make sure.

I would have been 13 - 14 years old at the time and we always looked forward to seeing whether Tyburn would actually complete a race.

I always wondered what happened to him. They really were fantastic times and thank God I still have the memories of those great days at Custom House.

Welcome aboard Nobby.

Always good to have another former West Ham supporter. :)

And current Arena Essex supporter as well. Pity I can't have both race jackets up on screen at the same time.

Thanks for the welcome Norbold.

That was probably Sue Clark she was one of the leaders of that one we just joined in (and I was only a kid back then as well  :wink: ) Dick and Les were on the back straight chanting happily all night we used to go and join in with them as well at times  :approve:  aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh those were the days. 

Nevsy out of interest did you watch Eastenders last night and here the tune they were playing to Mrs Miller for her birthday........ brought a tear to my eye  :)

You sure it wasn't Mrs Moon?

I can remember him actually lining up for the West Ham Hammers  at no 7 reserve spot on 17 October 1967 in the last British League match of the season against Long Eaton Archers.  He had two rides, but retired with engine failure in both.

Yes, I was there that night as well. Just looked up my programme too. I have written in heat 4 "Tyburn Gallows e/f while 1st third lap." In the second half, he won the Junior Hammers Handicap starting off 10 yards and then came third in the Junior Hammers Snowball (out of 5). So he was doing quite well. Just a shame about the two e/fs.

I know it's a bit late to reply to this topic, but I am a newcomer, just registered today.

Dear old Tyburn Gallows was a second half rider for some time at West Ham in the sixties...he most often looped at the sarting gate or fell at some stage of most of his races, or was wexcluded for some misdemeanour.  But he was a total entertainer who never gave up.

I can remember him actually lining up for the West Ham Hammers  at no 7 reserve spot on 17 October 1967 in the last British League match of the season against Long Eaton Archers.  He had two rides, but retired with engine failure in both. I still have the programme amongst my collection. It's just taken me 20 minutes to find it and make sure.

I would have been 13 - 14 years old at the time and we always looked forward to seeing whether Tyburn would actually complete a race.

I always wondered what happened to him. They really were fantastic times and thank God I still have the memories of those great days at Custom House.

Nice to have you on board Nobby! :wink:

By the way I would have been 11 and can also remember Tyburn

British League record for the Ammers!

1967 M2 R3 P0 BP0 Av0

1968 M1 R2 P1 BP0 Av2

Great Improvement in 68 :blink:

[

Nice to have you on board Nobby!  :wink:

By the way I would have been 11 and can also remember Tyburn

Thanks for the welcome CHK.

I am really glad that I have signed up to this forum, it will give me something to do and people to talk to during the lonely close season without my "speedway fix".

( Along with the Arena forum of course )

I am very impressed so far with this forum, it's content and the people on it. Very professional.