British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Your pick for 2005

Freddie Williams is still quite fit and active...Mind you he is in his 70s now.

Yeah, Wales has a GP, we should have a Welsh wildcard, Freddie is the best ever Welsh rider (best living British rider, for all you must have Brits people :P, he won 2 World titles). I think it's only fair.

My personal choice (as per the original topic), in no particular order, would be:-

1. Jason Crump - as World Champ he has to be in

2. Tony Rickardsson - consistently the best over the last 10 years

3. Tomasz Gollob - record at this level speaks for itself

4. Greg Hancock - see Tomasz Gollob

5. Nicki Pedersen - out & out racer & one of the best, regardless of ones personal view.

6. Scott Nicholls - still England's best bet for the title & still manged to look good although his season was ravaged by injury.

7. Lee Richardson - upwardly mobile & a good bet for regular rostrum places in the coming years

8. Leigh Adams - under achieved at this level, but still capable of winning the thing.

9. Andreas Jonsson - best of the new breed.

10. Hans Andersen - inconsistent, but that is likely to change with experience

11. Bjarne Pedersen - see Hans Andersen

12. Ryan Sullivan - deserves the benefit of the doubt for 2004. A class act however you look at it.

13. Jaroslaw Hampel - in the same mould as Jonsson

14. Antonio Lindback - I don't see how he could be left out.

15. Mark Loram - it would be nice to think this year was a blip. Still the most entertaining racer of the current era.

16. Billy Hamill - a great racer & should still grace this stage.

It would be easy to argue a case for so many others though, Max, Karlsson, Zagar, L Dryml, Iverse, Bjerre, Norris, Holta to name but a few.

Please don't shoot me down in flames, it's just my opinion!!

Yeah, Wales has a GP, we should have a Welsh wildcard, Freddie is the best ever Welsh rider (best living British rider, for all you must have Brits people :P, he won 2 World titles).  I think it's only fair.

I think that that sounds fair to me, 2 world titles sounds good to me??? :D Do you think he can still remember how to ride and if so lets get him back??? he he he. He could show the young uns how to do it (or he may just saunter at the back but who cares he'd be a WELSH MAN in the gp? Wot do you think SCB shall we start a campaign?? (joke) :lol:

Guest Tinkerbell

My top 16 riders would be, in no particular order, as follows:

1 Jason Crump

2 Tony Rickardsson

3 Greg Hancock

4 Leigh Adams

5 Andreas Jonsson

6 Tomasz Gollob

7 Jarek/Jaroslaw Hampel

8 Bjarne Pedersen

9 Scott Nicholls

10 Lee Richardson

11 Matej Zagar

12 Hans Andersen

13 Nicki Pedersen

14 Peter Karlsson

15 Antonio Lindback

16 Ryan Sullivan

:D Tinkers :D

Edited by Tinkerbell

Freddie is the best ever Welsh rider (best living British rider). 

I think Peter Collins and Michael Lee (at least) might have something to say about that!

But I'm glad to see my campaign to bring back Freddie for the Cardiff G.P. has at least two supporters..... :)

So it says in the speedway star that the 5 chosen riders for 2005 will be chosen in a meeting which starts on October 17th which is when the ELRC is on. Do you think a decision will be made on the day and that we'll find out at Poole who the lucku 5 are? Or will we just have to see which riders storm off home when they receive a phone call ;)

I think the Welsh wild card for the GP should be Ivor No chance

Guest clivehitch

my 16:

CRUMP

RICKARDSSON

HANCOCK

ADAMS

N.PEDERSEN

GOLLOB

HAMPEL

JONSSON

NICHOLLS

RICHARDSON

B.PEDERSEN

ANDERSEN

SULLIVAN

LORAM

LINDBACK

MAX

I have noticed the last couple of posts have named their top 16 without Chrzanowski has he decided he doesn't want to compete in the Grand Prix or have the people who have posted just forgot as I have not read or seen anything to say he does not want to compete

Taken from the Speedway Star.

The five riders handed seeded spots into next year's Grand Prix series will be rubber- stamped at the FIM Autumn Congress in Paris, which starts on October 17.

The Permanent Bureau of the Speedway Grand Prix - Francesco Zerbi, Guy Maitre,Renzo Giannini and Ole Olsen - will consider the names put forward in conjunction with rights holders Benfield Sports International.

The new Grand Prix format will also get the nod. that will consist of the traditional 20 heat ,16 - rider format with two semi - finals and a final.

Points scored by riders during the 20 "Qualifiers" are likely to count as GP points, unless you reach the final, where 25, 20 18 and 16 are up for grabs.

Freddie is the best ever Welsh rider (best living British rider). 

I think Peter Collins and Michael Lee (at least) might have something to say about that!

But I'm glad to see my campaign to bring back Freddie for the Cardiff G.P. has at least two supporters..... :)

Yep i'll support all the way. Thats 3 of us now surely they've got to listen 2 us now (he he he) :lol:

I think in no particular order simon stead and richard hall should be in the gps.

I have noticed the last couple of posts have named their top 16 without Chrzanowski has he decided he doesn't want to compete in the Grand Prix or have the people who have posted just forgot as I have not read or seen anything to say he does not want to compete

Keith, it's people's opinions who they would like to see in the GP not who is actually riding (see original post). Peronsally I would have quite a few riders who didn't finish in the top 8 this year way ahead of Chrzanowski and Lindback but they qualified by right so fair enough I hope they prove me wrong.

Pete

Guest BilaHora

All

I trust that you will forgive my ignorance but above someone writes that riders reaching the final will receive 25, 20, 18 and 16 (depending on their position) points in the new format of the Grand Prix series. Does this mean that no points will be allocated for competing in the semi-final? After all, a rider reaching the semi-final could have accumulated 15 points before being knocked out in the semi-final, whereas a rider could accumulate perhaps 8 points to reach the semi-final, reach the final and end up with 25 points. It hardly seems fair really. I thought every race point was meant to count but it looks as if you could still meander through the initial 20 heats and end up with the maximum 25 points.

Or am I, as I expect, wrong?

Regards

BilaHora