British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
witchnut

Yarmouth / Norwich

Spiegal ............ it's a bit mean to call those who had good intentions to find a site for a new speedway ...... idiots. Who knows what might become of it if a site had of been found!

I guess you're right about the site at Hevingham although I wouldn't have thought the entrance would have been too bad beside the Marsham Arms. I thought the reason they turned the site down was the grief from the owner of the pub, I bet the present owner wouldn't turn the potential business down these days ;) In fact I know that the owner is half keen on the sport having a mad mate of mine working there, he cannot fail to get embroiled in the goings on of the GP's at least! lol

I'm chuffed that people are still looking for a site, shame it couldn't be found sooner rather than later tho :cry:

Yes, a multi purpose stadium in Norwich featuring speedway on a Saturday night, greyhounds on two other nights possibly Tuesday and Fridays football/Rugby on the infield and function facilities could be a very good thing for the area. If only someone could convince the council.

TREES, I only hear rumours and talk amongst locals and speedway fans, but I do hope one day before my end that I'll witness speedway racing on a track in Norwich!

I known that many persons have tried over the years and indeed people are on the case at the present time but until it actually happens don't get your hopes up, but thanks to this forum ideas and interest can be maintained and who knows if someone with the capabilities reads some information on here such as the land at Hevingham and realises that interest is still high then things could happen!

Drove out on the Aylsham-Norwich road today and there's a perfect site for the new track inbetween the two turn offs to St-Faiths, an undulating piece of ground, not a house in sight, wonder what the planning dept would say to that ;) If only hey!! :wink:

Trees, a lot of your theories are correct, i have spoken with people connected and envolved with Hevingham. The pub owner at the time was the problem, not sure if Cyril still owns the land or not. According to people in the know Cyril certainly did ruffle a few feathers, and there is definately an opinion that people on the local council were connected with the football club and didn't want competition for peoples leisure spending. In one very envolved persons opinion it might take a lifetime before new people are on the council and in the planning department, who are not biased, or have memories of Cyril's somewhat cavalier although enthusiastic approach. Unquestionably there is more than sufficient interest in the area to make any new venture a viable proposition, in fact i would suggest a very lucrative opportunity. Obviously the place should have been the showground,sadly there you have the 57 old farts syndrome, and after all these years the houses are now too close as they are at Peterborough. I am firmly of the opinion though that there will be speedway again in Norwich sometime, its just waiting for someone with enough perseverance and diplomatic persistance to finally succeed where the other 28 attempts failed.

Obviously the place should have been the showground,sadly there you have the 57 old farts syndrome,

That damned lot of toffs "motorsport is too dirty for our showground" ....... tch! Everyone you meet says it should have been on the showground but like you say even if it had been there it may well now be doomed because of the housing closing in. At least the people of Norwich would have had speedway for a number of years now and the sport would be in a very strong position in the city. Never mind, as long as there are still people out there with the will and the way, you can never say never.

If the supporter's club was renewed again it would be great to get to know all the peeps out there who are on the case, it would also be great to have some nostalgic

nights, GP nights perhaps and get a few riders here to give talks etc

Now that the Firs has had a revamp I wonder if it would be the place to hold the meetings too!!

Perhaps Norwich Speedway should rear it's ugly head again (in the eyes of the planners ;) ) by way of the fans. At least any potential land owner/promotor/developer would have proven evidence of the interest out there!!

Will you be going to the Norwich Social and Dinner on 23 and 24 October, Trees, or anyone else? See you there if you are.

More information and tickets from Trevor and Pam Hedge.

I heard this advertised by Roy Waller the other day on Radio Norfolk, is the social evening on the Saturday and the dinner on the Sunday?