British Speedway Forum

So lets get this right. It;s wrong as you can have EF fail to make the final and the best rider might lose out because of a dodgy exclusion or an EF? Oh, just lke the current GP system that "isn't broke". Seems to me BSI have tried to find a compramise and yet people still feel the need to moan about it.

The guy who scores 7 points and scrapes into the semi still has to ride well to get anything fro the semi's, if he can score points in the semis he must be worthy of the points. The current GP system revolves around rider having ti imporve through out the meeting, this is no different, except that 2 EF's by the best rider in his first 2 rides doesn't spell disaster (ask Matej Zagar about the U21's), he still has a chance.

RogH,

I'm sure the 25,20,18 and 16 points would replace any points scored in the qualifiers, not be in addition.

So theoretically you could have a rider who gets a 15 point max then flunks the semi-final, they still get 15 points, only 1 less than last in the final. Conversely you could get a rider who has a couple of duff rides during the meeting, scores 7 points but scrapes in to the semis. He is effectively racing for 18 extra points if he wins the final, whereas someone who scored 14 during the meeting is effectively only racing for 11 extra points. Bottom line, as Mr Adams would say, "it's all about making the A final".

The system has it's pros and cons like any other. Personally I'm happy to give it a go as I think it will work. Meetings will be building up to a crescendo as they do at present. The semi-finals really are win or bust and the final retains it's current importance, ie it's everything.

Rico  :rolleyes:

If it's the system they used in Germany this year then a rider who scores 15 in the 20 heats and flunks the semi still qualifies for the final if he is one of the four top scorers.The semi-final points are just added to the points scored in the meeting to decide the top four riders who qualify for the final,not the first 2 riders from each semi.That also goes for the final,so it isn't necessary to win the final to win the meeting,but it ensures that the top scorer over 7 heats is the winner

Edited by iris123

looking forwards to next years GP, from what I gather every point will need to be raced for, no tactical dropping of places and most importantly less crap racing in the series.

Surely if you have a format where every rider meets every other rider once, and has to go from each gate position. that surely should be enough to determine the winner. If you reverse the running order of the heats you get nos 1,2,3 and 4 in the final heat which for GP1 means Crump, Rickardsson, Hancock and Adams and for subsequent GPs the top four from the previous GP. Surely as good as any final can be. I do not see why a rider who wins after 20 heats should have to go out and win it again. It's not a knock out system any more.

QUOTE(Splatty @ Oct 3 2004, 02:29 AM)

I'd like to know what is wrong with the current format - if it aint broke why fix it?

2 reasons

Increases prize money by reducing the field

and

Raises the average standard of rider competing in the field (was very careful how I worded that sentence  )

Rico 

no system that disregards the might that is Bo Brhel can be a good one :P

I wasn't aware that prize money was a problem - I thought that availability of the riders for league racing was more of an inconvenience

Surely if you have a format where every rider meets every other rider once, and has to go from each gate position. that surely should be enough to determine the winner.  If you reverse the running order of the heats you get nos 1,2,3 and 4 in the final heat which for GP1 means Crump, Rickardsson, Hancock and Adams and for subsequent GPs the top four from the previous GP. Surely as good as any final can be. I do not see why a rider who wins after 20 heats should have to go out and win it again. It's not a knock out system any more.

But if it is over 23 heats a rider hasn't won it after 20.It gives the fans the chance to see the best 8 and then the best 4 race against each other,even if they have met each other in the previous heats.You also get to see the better riders more

any rider that has not qualified 4 nxt years series from this years races has had their chance, mark pepe max etc etc

hard luck im afraid and so will av 2 re qualify 4 the year after!!!!

I don't really know why there is so much confusion over the format. Next year's format was trialled during this season's WC qualifying and the World U-21 rounds and is pretty simple - the top eight after 20 heats qualify for knockout semi-finals. The first two in each of those qualify for the final. No carrying points forward or anything like that.

Anyone know what the tie breaking procedures will be for riders with equal points, to decide grid positions in the semis and final and for riders tied for eighth place ?

Lower number rider, so Crumpy would always have first choice over any one, Trick would have first choice over any one except Crumpy etc...... I ASSUME, so dont shout at me if it's wrong!

or would they decide on the race they met in who came out on top?

I have to say i liked the current format but often found the pre-main event rather tedious, so maybe seeing 16 top riders slug it out 5 times is more entertaining.

It will certainly make every race more worthwhile with meeting points counting as World Championship points which is a good move :)

I don't really know why there is so much confusion over the format. Next year's format was trialled during this season's WC qualifying and the World U-21 rounds and is pretty simple - the top eight after 20 heats qualify for knockout semi-finals. The first two in each of those qualify for the final. No carrying points forward or anything like that.

When John Poshbloke explained it on Saturday he said that all the points scored in the meeting would count. But are you saying that those who get to the semis get the same as at present with their points in the meeting not counting, so the scores go 25, 20, 18, 16, 13, 11 and it is only the rest who just get whatever they scored in the meeting?

But are you saying that those who get to the semis get the same as at present  with their points in the meeting not counting, so the scores go 25, 20, 18, 16, 13, 11  and it is only the rest who just get whatever they scored in the meeting?

I haven't see it in writing yet, but that would be my understanding.

But are you saying that those who get to the semis get the same as at present  with their points in the meeting not counting, so the scores go 25, 20, 18, 16, 13, 11  and it is only the rest who just get whatever they scored in the meeting?

I haven't see it in writing yet, but that would be my understanding.

Thanks Kevin.

Well i ain't heard what the blöoke said but i gathered from what SS said that points scored count as GP points then it makes sense that it is the same system as used here in Germany.So if you finish behind someone in the semi's who has a lower total than you,you naturaly go through to the final.No getting a 15 point max in the 20 heats and then getting knocked out for finishing third in the semi behind someone who's points total reads(2,1,2,2,3,2)